zone defense is for losers

andy

Reaction score
You are basically saying to the other team A) we are too slow (or lazy) to defend you on the perimeter, and B) pleeeease shoot the deep ball.

The gameplan for beating the Gophers is simple: attack the gaps in the zone and kick to the open man.

This is just... disgusting.

You are basically saying to the other team A) we are too slow (or lazy) to defend you on the perimeter, and B) pleeeease shoot the deep ball.

The gameplan for beating the Gophers is simple: attack the gaps in the zone and kick to the open man.

It never changes - even the ESPN2 announcers have mentioned that the Achille's heel of the Gophers is 3-point defense. How do they (the coaching staff and players) not get it?

Tell Syracuse that.

Zones can be effective. It's not like our man-to-man D doesn't have holes, too.
The zone does seem to be a weak plan B for Tubby, though.

I think zones can be effective when you have long-armed 6'7" or 6'8" guys on the perimeter (think Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse).

But when your GLARING weakness is three-point defense, it would seem that a 2-1-2 or 2-3 zone would be the last possible option.

I think zones can be effective when you have long-armed 6'7" or 6'8" guys on the perimeter (think Carmelo Anthony at Syracuse).

But when your GLARING weakness is three-point defense, it would seem that a 2-1-2 or 2-3 zone would be the last possible option.

A 1-3-1 zone would be nice to see. We have enough long arms that it should be effective. Haven't ever seen it tried on this Tubby team, however. It would be much, much more effective against the 3-point shot than the sagging 2-3 that we usually employ.

(And Wes Johnson at Syracuse)

I'd like to see Gophers run a 3-2 zone.

Put Al, Blake, and Chip or Austin on top with Colton and Trevor down low.

Sure zones can be effective against a terribly coached team. Syracuse wins with talent, certainly not coaching.

Tell HOF-er Jim Boeheim to stop playing match-up zone D.

Top Bottom