Cole Alrich has a big night

GopherLady

Reaction score
Kansas beat Washington tonight, 73-54 - and Cole had a really solid, all-around game: 16 pts, 6 blocks and 9 boards.

Aldrich is a stud

It was very apparent Bobby Knight thinks the world of Aldrich's potential. He couldn't stop talking about him, and we all know Bobby Knight isn't one to gush over players. In fact, a comment Bobby made last night about Aldrich has already been selected as my quote of the week for next week's notebook. Let's just say the way The General said it didn't reflect well on the Gophers' previous coach.

I think I know the quote you are saving SS - I even thought the General might be planting a seed for future consideration for a Minnesota job - after Tubby of course.

I did not hear him too much last night - but I wonder what he thinks of the scores of his former team now under his son's tutelage. What happened to defense at Texas Tech.

Aldrich did look like a monster underneath last night.

And what a great quote it was! In fact, all 4 of us watching the game just lost it laughing after he said it.

It's clear that Cole plays his best against great competition. Washington is horrible but Jon Brockman is very tough in the paint. The performance last night was similar to his domination of the fraud that is Tyler Hansbrough in the Final Four. If Cole stays for his junior year, and he should, he will be the best big man in the country. Danny Manning does a great job developing big men. Cole has always been a shot blocker but his footwork on offense has come a long way. He will have a huge year as long as he can stay out of foul trouble- that was a big problem for him the first couple games. If KU goes to a zone, although Self despises playing it, against Syracuse look for the block party to continue tonight. Unfortunately, Vitale will be there instead of Knight.

Vitale instead of Knight

Yes, it is a bummer Vitale will be doing the title game tonight. What a difference between the two analysts. One (Vitale) is more concerned about "performing" his schtick (sp?), the other (Knight) actually gives quick & thorough insights (i.e. teams will zone UW this season, Cole's unorthodox shooting stroke) about what he's seeing. Say what you want about Knight, he's every bit as good of a basketball analyst as he was a basketball coach. He's a very engaging guy, and he's an encyclopedia of basketball knowledge, but he doesn't pound you over the head with it. He & Shulman worked very well together.

I like what ESPN is doing so far. Am not sure whether it has anything to do with Vitale's throat problems last year, but seems to me we're getting more Knight & less Vitale. That's a good thing. Keep it up, ESPN.

Cole is a beast

If we had him we wouldn't have to wait til next year to have a team that can compete for a big ten title

Knight didn't give Shulman much slack, as he got some digs in many times about the play-by-play patter that described "obvious" action (pointing out the "tremendous insight" into the game Shulman provided when his play-by-play described something like: "Smith hits the open jumper in the lane."). We get pretty used to the running commentary of good play-by-play announcers (especially if they've done radio... ok, if they've done radio WELL!). But there are some times when the obvious play-by-play of what every fan just saw on TV seems a bit excessive.
I too, enjoyed Knight's contribution. Typical to his personality, he has a bit of an ego to him, but it's about his knowledge of the game, not the hype or attention-seeking kind of ego like Dickie V's. Much more analytical, which I enjoyed a lot.

Sorry

It was very apparent Bobby Knight thinks the world of Aldrich's potential. He couldn't stop talking about him, and we all know Bobby Knight isn't one to gush over players. In fact, a comment Bobby made last night about Aldrich has already been selected as my quote of the week for next week's notebook. Let's just say the way The General said it didn't reflect well on the Gophers' previous coach.

Sorry selectionsunday if I spilled the beans on our quote in another thread. I hadn't read our post before I posted mine.

I believe Knight will be doing the Florida/Wash game and Vitale the Syracuse/KU. Watch and compare the two. Knight might be the best color guy ESPN has.

As for Aldrich, if he stays out of foul trouble he should have a big night. Syracuse is sketchy in the frontcourt. The real battle will be Flynn and Sherron Collins. They might be the two best PGs in the country. If they aren't the best, they are the most fun to watch. KU will have it's hands full with Paul Harris on the wing.

Like him or hate him, Knight has always enjoyed Minnesota and has said so in the past.

I know we all remember the famous story about John Wooden and the blizzard that kept him from coming to Minnesota over UCLA, but didn't Knight also imply he might be willing to leave Indiana at one point for Minnesota??

I can't remember if this is true or not, but I thought there was a rumor that might happen a few years back...

In any case, I remember the Knight quote from last night as well: "If I was the coach at Minnesota, he would have never left the state."

Aldrich is so good, and Kansas is the cat's meow. I thought Washington looked like a pretty decent team, and they were just getting dismantled by a machine. Between watching the very watchable Jayhawks and listening to the very listenable Knight, that was a pleasant nite in front of the tube.

Like him or hate him, Knight has always enjoyed Minnesota and has said so in the past.

I know we all remember the famous story about John Wooden and the blizzard that kept him from coming to Minnesota over UCLA, but didn't Knight also imply he might be willing to leave Indiana at one point for Minnesota??

I can't remember if this is true or not, but I thought there was a rumor that might happen a few years back...

In any case, I remember the Knight quote from last night as well: "If I was the coach at Minnesota, he would have never left the state."

Knight was the coach at IU when Eric Montross "left the state" to play at UNC.

Can't speak for others, but I know I care because I enjoy watching very talented college basketball players, especially ones from my home state who are making a name for themselves here & elsewhere.

Knight

Even though IMO Knight is a big jerk, I'm enjoying his role on ESPN. It's a refreshing contrast from the hype-heads that usually sit in that chair.

And we care about how Cole Adrich did because..................??

Because he is a GREAT kid from Minnesota who is representing himself well and playing at a high level for the most tradition rich school in college basketball.

Because he is a GREAT kid from Minnesota who is representing himself well and playing at a high level for the most tradition rich school in college basketball.

I'll buy that we care about a great kid from Minnesota. The tradition rich school bs maybe not so much.

Kansas tradition is what it is. Using this forum to brag about it is bs.

BS? Depends on how you define tradition, I guess. No school has history like KU.

5 National Titles, 13 Final Fours, 51 Conference Championships- Most All Time, 3rd in All-Time Wins, Most Consesus All-Americans in history, Most alumni in HOF, Only 8 coaches in 111 yrs, 2nd longest consecutive NCAA tournament appearance streak (Behind Arizona so KU could realistically move to #1 in '09)
JAMES NAISMITH was first coach and only coach with losing record (HE ALSO INVENTED BASKETBALL)
Phog Allen- Coaching pioneer who played for Naismith. One of the winningest coaches of all time. 3 National Titles. Allen coached DEAN SMITH and ADOLPH RUPP- Two of the winningest coaches ever. Kentucky and UNC's arenas are named after these KU alums.
WILT CHAMBERLAIN
Danny Manning- NPOY, NCAA MOP, and NBA #1 pick
Clyde Lovellette- Only player to lead nation in scoring and win NCAA title in same yr. 3 time NBA champion.
LARRY BROWN- Coached Kansas to National Title. Only coach to win NCAA and NBA title.
Roy Williams- Most wins and highest winning percentage in 1990's. Fastest coach to 400 wins.
Bill Self- National Champion. 4 Conference Championships and 3 Elite Eights in first five years. Highest winning percentage in school history.
5 NBA draft picks in 2008 is the most for any school in one draft
Mario Chalmers Shot
Last 3 NBA championship teams had Jayhawks on roster including 2008 Finals MVP Paul Pierce
JoJo White- HOFer and NBA Finals MVP

You're right. KU being tradition rich is BS.

Kentucky, North Carolina, and UCLA have superior basketball traditions. Duke is comparable to Kansas.

Kansas tradition is what it is. Using this forum to brag about it is bs.

Fair enough. I admit I went overboard. I've always been a huge Gopher fan but my alma mater always comes first for me. I'm still not sure why you said it's BS that KU is tradition rich in your first post but it doesn't matter. My previous post speaks for itself and no school has history like that. This isn't where I was trying to go with that comment. My point is that Cole Aldrich has the potential to be a major part of that history. If he stays 4 years, he could go down as the best center in school history not named Wilt. He also plays the right way and represents himself in a way we all hope every Minnesota kid should.

And we care about how Cole Adrich did because..................??

Because Cole is from Minnesota and represents his home state with dignity. He's a quality, classy kid who still knows his sh!t stinks after everything that's happened with his basketball career.

Top Bottom