Pre-game thoughts: Indiana 1/4/11

Reaction score
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/bigjaybee

Disclaimer: No idea what I'm talking about. Numbers may be lies.

The (NR-AP/#21-Coaches) Minnesota Golden Gophers play their first home conference game of the season against the I4 Hoosiers on Tuesday, January 4th at 6pm CT. I4, 0-2 in conference play just as the Gophers are, brings in an overall record of 9-6 (after a 6-0 start) and a strong scent of tanning oil.

The Team

It’s been two and a half years since Tom Crean bailed on Marquette without first talking to his team or the administration and some people are finally starting to catch on – he’s not a good coach and is a creepy dude (despite the impressive college major of Parks and Recreation). Still, much of the media and most of the Indiana faithful still think he can be the answer to bring I4 back to prominence, but the reality is year three of the experiment will end with another sub-.500 performance. There has been a whole lot of talking, not enough action.

His saving grace is that he has been able to convince a number of kids (and I mean young, young kids), many of those associated with the Indiana Elite AAU program, to verbal their attendance to Indiana in future years. A lot of things can change, though, before we get to the year 2014. Coming in next year is 6’6” shooter Austin Etherington, who isn’t going to suddenly bring I4 to the top of the Big Ten/11/12. Cody Zeller will also join the squad and is a quality skilled big man. He’ll certainly help their disgraceful front line, but is a bit frail at this point and it may be his sophomore year when he really makes an impact. 2012 looks like a great class, but how much patience will there be when the Hoosiers can’t get to .500 this year and if they struggle again next year?

7-foot big man Guy-Marc Michel could have helped some this year, but was declared ineligible for this season due to playing under a professional contract overseas. His suspension, coupled with him first enrolling in college back in 2006, results in his collegiate eligibility being effectively exhausted.

Indiana’s offensive efficiency actually hasn’t been bad (109.1) thanks to a nice eFG% of 55.6%. The team is shooting 49.3% from the field, including 54.3% from inside the arc. For the year, their defensive efficiency of 95.9% doesn’t look bad, but it’s a tale of two worlds – when they’ve played cream puffs (even bigger cream puffs than themselves), they’ve looked much, much better on defense… vs. any team that is marginally decent, I4’s defense has been a mess. In 9 victories, their average defensive efficiency is 79%... but in the 6 losses, that average skyrockets to a brutal 123%. The gap between their ‘worst’ defensive efficiency performance in their wins, compared to their ‘best’ defensive efficiency in their losses is 20%.

In a close game, this team is gutless. They don’t believe they can win and more and more people are agreeing with them. Perhaps Tanned Tommy tries to convince his boys that now is the time to be men and try to steal one away from a troubled Gophers team that will be without Devoe Joseph, very likely forever. But, let’s be realistic. Is this going to be another 50-point stomping like February 1994? Probably not, but this could be Minnesota’s most lopsided victory of the season if they do what should be able to do. My Pick: Gophers by 22. If we lose, I will shave an “I” in my chest and wear candy cane warm up pants to our game vs. Purdue.

Own the boards – they are ours; move the ball; get it inside and eat I4 up.

The Players

Quick summary: I like Watford and Oladipo. Hulls could toss in a few from deep and is a great shooter, but he’s not going to pour in 25 or anything too significant to overcome. Creek I liked, but he is in rough shape right now. Jones is a jagoff, but could do some scoring on us.

#2 Christian Watford
6’8”, 230 lbs sophomore forward with skill. He’s a good looking player. In the first matchup against the Gophers last year, Watford had 16 and 10, but he later struggled at the Barn, shooting just 1/12 from the field and finishing with 3 and 9. This year, he’s averaging 17.2 ppg and 5.5 rpg… not the most imposing force, he’ll have his hands full with our bigs. At the same time, he may be a tough match up and will step out behind the arc a couple of times, where he is capable of nailing the triple (16/38 42.1% for the year). Watford is also a good free throw shooter and gets to the line with good frequency (draws 7.3 fouls/40 min and has shot 82/99, or 82.8%, when there). I wouldn’t complain if he found himself in early foul trouble.

#12 Verdell Jones
Verdell is a 6’5” junior and a punk. Last year he got cute during our game in Bloomington, complete with sticking his tongue out. In four games vs. Minnesota, Jones has averaged 14.8 ppg and 4.5 rpg. Trying to handle the ball a lot this year, Jones has struggled, turning the ball over (53; 28.1% TO rate) more often than assisting his teammates (48). He’s averaging 12.2 ppg, 3.4 apg and 2.7 rpg. Not a significant outside threat, but he can get to the rim and shoot well when closer to bucket.

#3 Maurice Creek
Creek is now a sophomore. Last year the 6’5” guard fractured his knee and had season ending surgery. Prior to the injury, he looked to be the real deal. Unfortunately, the path back to the court has not been smooth. Physically he isn’t near where he was. His game is off, his three-point shooting is way off (31.1 3FG%... shoots mostly from behind the arc, so despite a 2FG% of almost 54%, his overall shooting percentage is just 39.1%). I never like to see a kid get hurt, and this one is especially tough given his potential. Hopefully he can get right physically and mentally, but currently it’s not a good time for the kid. After starting in the first 13 games, he has been replaced by emerging freshman Victor Oladipo in the past 2 in the starting 5.

#4 Victor Oladipo
Freshman has looked good and is being rewarded with more playing time. 6’5” active kid that can score, defend and clean a little glass. Athletic dude, he’s one to watch. Averaging just 17.7 mpg, but that will likely rise as the season goes on.. 8.1 ppg and 4.2 rpg. He’s not afraid to press the issue on offense, although he usually does so from inside of the three-point line.

#1 Jordan Hulls
Little sophomore geek who stands maybe 6’ tall. I believe he played the role of Ollie MacFarlane in the movie Hoosiers. Doesn’t shoot a lot, but when he does, he can be deadly. Can put up points in a hurry via the trey and has deep range. He might be a guy I4 has throw up more shots as the season goes on – why not? He’s 30/58 (51.7%) from three-point range. Hulls gets a lot of a PT (28.4 mpg), averaging 9.7 ppg, 3.2 apg and 2.4 rpg. If we leave him with a sliver of space, he can drill it.

#5 Jeremiah Rivers
Now, I love Doc Rivers, and I love brother Austin’s game, but Jeremiah is just not very good. The 6’5” senior can play some defense, but the offense has been restrained. His most ‘impressive stat’ is a 36% TO Rate – ugly. Averaging more than 20 minutes per night, he is contributing just 3.0 ppg and 3.3 rpg.

Various Big Guys That Are Not Good
#32 Derek Elston should get the start, which is fine with me – he’s a bad player. Averages 16.3 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg (sophomore). He can get it going a little offensively at times, but doesn’t offer a lot other than a 6’9” frame that carries about 240 pounds.
#23 Bobby Capobianco, which means “I’m awful” in Italian, is another 6’9” kid that isn’t good. Another sophomore, he’s getting little run. Certainly could see the kid transferring out.
#50 Tom Pritchard is a 6’9” junior that weighs in at about 250 pounds. He’s getting about 15 mpg and pours in 1.4 ppg to go along with a few boards.

Will Sheehey - blah.

I've got some further comments on Crean, but I'll save those for the bar before or after the game.

GW

If we lose, I will shave an “I” in my chest and wear candy cane warm up pants to our game vs. Purdue.

I hope you are talking about chest hair? If not, that could hurt.

:D

If we lose, I will shave an “I” in my chest and wear candy cane warm up pants to our game vs. Purdue.

I hope you are talking about chest hair? If not, that could hurt.

:D

Chest hair? Grass doesn't grow on playgrounds.

Line is only -10 for the Gophers... time to make some money tonight.

Good write up GW, as always. It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight...hopefully the boys come out with some fire, as this is a must-win in my opinion.

P.S. The line is down to 9 right now.

thanks for the write-up, good stuff. I'll be sure to remember the Italian translation for future use.

Good write up GW, as always. It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight...hopefully the boys come out with some fire, as this is a must-win in my opinion.

P.S. The line is down to 9 right now.

You could not be more right.
Considering that the next 2 games are most likely losses, if the Gophers were to screw up
tonight then they would be looking at 0-5 to start the Big Ten

I think OSU -12.5 at Iowa is a lot better bet than the Gophers -9 tonight. IU has shown they can play well when they bring their "A" game - they were within 2-3 points with 7-8 minutes to go at Kentucky before folding late in the game - you don't know whether IU will bring their "A" game or their "Q" game (Q as in "Quit"!), and since you don't know that, I don't think it's a good bet, at least not one I'd be confident in betting. Sure, could be an easy W if IU brings their "Q" game, but you don't know until it happens.

All I can say is we better win this game. And lets do it running away for a change. Leave nothing in doubt.

Top Bottom