Devoe Joseph to transfer?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
How did this get out of hand this quickly? :eek:

I honestly don't understand what's going on with Devoe; based on the past 6 months or so, there must be some major underlying issues with him:

Link from Marcus

Hopefully for his sake he gets his head right. Whether or not that includes basketball I don't know, but it sounds like he has off-the-court issues to work through.

Here is a long thread...
Thanks Bleed...I just figured the whole "transfer" potential bombshell could warrant another thread. I notice you beat me to the post within that thread though, in typical Bleed fashion :clap:

Tweet from Myron:

"Devoe Joseph meeting with Tubby Smith today about his future with the program."

"Source: Joseph "serious" about quitting team and transferring to another school."

Go Gophers!!

Why do these kids always think it's going to better somewhere else? Newsflash Devoe: The 2013 season, no matter where you play it, isn't going to be worth not playing basketball for 1.5 years. At least get your head together enough to finish the season and then transfer. You owe your teamates at least that much.

What are his options? If he decides to transfer now, he still has to sit out next year right? So why wouldn't he just finish this year out, then transfer? He'll at least keep playing competitively? Are there any pro's to leaving the U of MN right now? I just don't get it.

And we wonder why Cory didn't come here...If Devoe is unhappy now, he was probably unhappy then.

What are his options? If he decides to transfer now, he still has to sit out next year right? So why wouldn't he just finish this year out, then transfer? He'll at least keep playing competitively? Are there any pro's to leaving the U of MN right now? I just don't get it.

The young man is mad at this point and probably wants out, no matter the logic. Anger usually doesnt get you anywhere Devoe.

Showin,

If he leaves now, he can enroll somewhere else for the second semester and be eligible to play next December (after exams are done at the new school).

That would leave him with 3 1/2 years of total playing time, but would allow him to play in December 2011.

If he doesn't leave until after this season is complete, he'd get four years of total playing time, but wouldn't play again until November 2012.

It's possible that the relationship between Devoe and Tubby is fractured to the point where the kid feels leaving now is worth it.

If all of this speculation is such...let him go and replace him.

Showin,

If he leaves now, he can enroll somewhere else for the second semester and be eligible to play next December (after exams are done at the new school).

That would leave him with 3 1/2 years of total playing time, but would allow him to play in December 2011.

If he doesn't leave until after this season is complete, he'd get four years of total playing time, but wouldn't play again until November 2012.

It's possible that the relationship between Devoe and Tubby is fractured to the point where the kid feels leaving now is worth it.

3.5 and 4 years? He's already played 2.5 years? At most he'd have 1.5 years left, but doesn't he lose the full year he sits?

Marvin Stone

Unhappy at UK in Dec 2001, he left after semester break and transferred to Louisville.

UK results in 2001-02 were disappointing (22-10 and Sweet 16) but much better in 2002-03.

With Stone gone and Marquis Estill getting his PT, UK went 32-4 and ranked #1 in March 2003.

It's always better when unhappy players (if Devoe is unhappy) leave and go elsewhere.

3.5 and 4 years? He's already played 2.5 years? At most he'd have 1.5 years left, but doesn't he lose the full year he sits?

No such thing as 1/2 year. He's used 3 years of eligibility. He has 1 left if he transfers - either second semester 2012 or all of 2012-13 season.

Can you really transfer mid-year to another D-1 program without sitting out your transfer year? I call shenanigans...

EDIT: I read your post too quickly and missed the "next" in front of December. My bad.

Yes. He would have to sit out 1 year (2 semesters) before playing next December.

This is exactly what Sam Okey did when he transferred to Iowa some years ago. He was in his junior year and left at the semester break. But he really wanted to play for Dr. Tom (who was about to be replaced by Alford) so he sat out 12 months and used his final year of eligibility to play just second semester. End result was that he played less than he could have.

Don't know what is going on other then more of the same, but from first glance I guess it is easier to transfer then to get whatever it is together.

Bingo. Carter left, Cobbs left, Royce left, Barnes left--to NC, C Joseph left--to Texas, etc. They say "where there's smoke there's fire" and yet you people still want to talk about roasting marshmellows.

Golden boy to goat--can't all be Devoe's fault. I'll say it again: monsters aren't born, they are created. It all comes down to coaching.

Barnes left?

Carter was family. Maybe Cory was due to Devoe, but didn't the center who is also a friend come to MN?

As for Cobbs, uh yea....

Yes. He would have to sit out 1 year (2 semesters) before playing next December.

How is that not sitting out a transfer year?

Also, realized I misread anonymous' post. I thought he said December of this year (I missed the next...read too quickly).

Bingo. Carter left, Cobbs left, Royce left, Barnes left--to NC, C Joseph left--to Texas, etc. They say "where there's smoke there's fire" and yet you people still want to talk about roasting marshmellows.

Golden boy to goat--can't all be Devoe's fault. I'll say it again: monsters aren't born, they are created. It all comes down to coaching.

Yeah...OK. Let's fire Tubby. And replace him with who, oh wise one?

and

Bingo. Carter left, Cobbs left, Royce left, Barnes left--to NC, C Joseph left--to Texas, etc.

It ain't Tubby's fault that Cobbs is a bit role player who thought he was better than he actually was.

Barnes left?

Carter was family. Maybe Cory was due to Devoe, but didn't the center who is also a friend come to MN?

As for Cobbs, uh yea....

The two players on this team that appear to me to being mishandled are Joseph and Williams. Certain players just are not going to react to being pulled from the game for one mistake. Those two seem to be the players on the recieving end the most. I thought Bostick was the same way last year. I think other players are given more leeway.

I think* Devoe could transfer and immediately play for D1 New Orleans... then, leave in the summer to a D1 school and immediately play for one more year at whatever school he went to. That would be quite an interesting path...

It ain't Tubby's fault that Cobbs is a bit role player who thought he was better than he actually was.

Tubby recruited Cobbs and yeah it was Tubby's fault that he was a bit role player--Tubby pushed Devoe at PG in an effort to get his brother. Look how that turned out.

Tubby recruited Cobbs and yeah it was Tubby's fault that he was a bit role player--Tubby pushed Devoe at PG in an effort to get his brother. Look how that turned out.

Yea, or maybe it was b/c Cobbs wasn't getting it done. Because forcing a shooting guard to be a PG just to sign his brother is exactly what most experienced national title winning coaches do. Also, how does forcing Devoe to be a PG help Tubby sign his brother anyhow?

Top Bottom