Gopher women blow late lead at home, now 8-7, 0-2

Absolutely pathetic.

The collapse of this program over the last few years is nothing short of jaw-dropping, and for me, it all started when Podominick, Broback, etc. left mass-exodus style. Trust me - it wasn't that they wanted to pursue other interests all the time. It was also that they couldn't stand their coach. And ever since, just about every big-name in-state recruit has gone elsewhere to play their college ball. I wonder why. Even those runs to the NCAA tournament that Borton led were made by players left over from the Oldfield-Frese years...you can't look at the last few years and say that Borton's players have been anything close to the previous regime, despite a seriously strong MN talent pool.

The time to pull the plug on Borton passed long ago.

Hopefully the last person who still cares about Gopher women's bball turns out the lights when they leave Williams.

Women's team.

The team has completely reversed it's identity this year. The last few years they could play some D but had trouble with ball movement and scoring touch. Now they are moving the ball, have some players with scoring touch but they are just terrible on D.

That's the reason I'm not at all optimistic. I just don't think Borton can put it all together. I care enough that I don't even ask that a turnaround happen right now, I just need to see some signs that the COULD become a winning club again. I just don't see it.

Even those runs to the NCAA tournament that Borton led were made by players left over from the Oldfield-Frese years.

I just want to point out that our Final Four run was made with players recruited by Cheryl Littlejohn. Oldfield conducted a remarkable turnaround (Big Ten record went from 1-15 in Littlejohn's last year to 11-5 in Oldfield's first), but she coached the Gophers for ONE year. There were no "Oldfield-Frese years", as you say.

Duly noted, and touche. My point stands though - Borton hasn't maintained or improved the program since she took over, in terms of stature, popularity, talent, on-court product, etc. In fact, yesterday's loss is the latest and perhaps biggest example of just how far the program has fallen. I don't pretend to be the biggest Gopher women's hoops rube in the world, but I know a floundering program when I see one. And I think we'd all agree that we'd like to see them figure it out and return to prominence. To me, that requires a change in leadership and a fresh identity for the team.

the pc crowd will rip me for saying this but maturi will have a hard time firing borton this year because of the lawsuit with the women's golf team. that created some job security for borton. ok, rip away, but don't wear blinders.

Can they move back to the sport pav with their 3k fans so that we can erase the extra 3 pt line on the court?

I had some hopes for improvement this year. I mean when you look at it, I would certainly rather have Loberg and Dockery in the post than AEM; this year's guards rather than McCoy; and Voigt and Mastey at the forwards are a year older. But somehow the pieces aren't fitting together. Of course, it is early. The men are 0-2, too, and I still expect a winning record, but of course their losses are to 1st division teams, the women have lost to 2nd division teams so far.

Next year Banham should represent an upgrade but who among the returnees will be able to keep up with her? Will Hirt be able to contribute after sitting out her senior year with a bad knee?

The 2013s are the next great class of MN HSers, best since 2007, but that is a long way off.

With Whitney Tinjum verballing Wisconsin, I wrote a long post about this at www.minnesotahoops.blogspot.com

the pc crowd will rip me for saying this but maturi will have a hard time firing borton this year because of the lawsuit with the women's golf team. that created some job security for borton. ok, rip away, but don't wear blinders.

Not here to rip, but what does one have to do with the other?

Oh please. Whatever happened with the golf thing, if she is let go, it will clearly be for job performance issues. Spare me the right-wing conspiracy theories. The only way it's relevant is if the lawsuit and the Jimmy Williams lawsuit makes them so frugal they avoid firing anyone save money (i.e. Lucia).

Top Bottom