Marcus: OSU game at 1pm, "How badly do they lose that one?"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Fuller tweet:

"Gophers at Ohio State game on Jan. 9 finally has a time. It'll be 1 P.M. Central on the Big Ten Network. How badly do they lose that one?"

Go Gophers!!

He's gonna feel like a real jack@$$ if they pull off the upset. I hope they do.

I don't think they will win, an upset would be HUGE, and I will be hoping and cheering for it. But a win? Doubtful. In fact, I am expecting a blow out. OSU has looked just that good.

I am gonna say by 9. Ohio State only beat Indiana by 18....this is Big Ten basketball. Normally teams don't win by 20.

Since we lost at Wisconsin by 8 (and the game was a lot closer than the final indicated) and at Michigan State by 9, I'd say we'll lose this one by about 30-40. Seems about right, right?

And that was a completely necessary potshot at the end, too. Good reporting, Marcus!

Since nobody has blown out the Gophers all season, that is a strange tweet from a beat reporter. The Gophers were down by 2 with 18 seconds left at Wisconsin and were leading at the half against MSU.

I hope we win by 40. That's awful and Marcus should be ashamed of himself.

Since nobody has blown out the Gophers all season, that is a strange tweet from a beat reporter. The Gophers were down by 2 with 18 seconds left at Wisconsin and were leading at the half against MSU.

Osu is better than both of those teams

Totally uncalled for from a beat reporter. Both Marcus and Myron need to learn the difference between beat writer and columnist and stop pretending to be both.

Let's not hand OSU the Big Ten trophy

Why are we in such a hurry to hand OSU the title? They've only played one game, and it likely was vs. one of the weaker teams in the conference. I'd like to see more data before we "crown their a*s."

There are plenty of teams in the Big Ten capable of knocking off the Buckeyes. I'm hoping the Gophersa are one of 'em.

Totally uncalled for from a beat reporter. Both Marcus and Myron need to learn the difference between beat writer and columnist and stop pretending to be both.

Just a short time ago Myron was the jerk and Marcus was great according to the Hole.

Just a short time ago Myron was the jerk and Marcus was great according to the Hole.

Marcus is still a better writer then Myron. But Myron's gotten marginally better, and Marcus may have actually gotten worse. He's certainly gotten more opinionated in his coverage in the last year. Compare the two of them to how Joe C. and LaVelle cover the Twins and you will see a huge difference in how often they inject opinions in their writing. LaVelle's only strong opinions are usually about the Chicago Bears and how Illinois will crush the Gophers. That's how it should be.

I am gonna say by 9. Ohio State only beat Indiana by 18....this is Big Ten basketball. Normally teams don't win by 20.

I wouldn't knock OSU for "only" beating Indiana by 18 on the road - Indiana played about as well as they could have and never quit, it was their best effort of the season. If you read their message boards, their fans weren't complaining about how they played that game, they were proud of the effort and thought they played a good game and just got beat by a better team. Indiana obviously doesn't bring the effort that they should game in and game out, but when they bring their "A" game they're not too bad.

I wouldn't knock OSU for "only" beating Indiana by 18 on the road - Indiana played about as well as they could have and never quit, it was their best effort of the season. If you read their message boards, their fans weren't complaining about how they played that game, they were proud of the effort and thought they played a good game and just got beat by a better team. Indiana obviously doesn't bring the effort that they should game in and game out, but when they bring their "A" game they're not too bad.

As an OSU fan, what do you think of their freshmen point guard? When the Gophs beat them at the Barn last year, Nolen was a huge key in frustrating Turner into turning the ball over a ton. Turner still put up some big numbers (especially in a 5 minute strech when Nolen sat), but I'm curious as to what you think of their Freshmen point guard. I only really watched them play Florida, but I assume he starts/handles the most. I would assume he is their biggest weakness, but that is only because nothing else about that lineup seems weak.

I'm not sure how Minnesota will handle Buford, Lighty, and Diebler. By not sure I mean I know they won't be able to defend them, but I'm hoping Nolen cleans up on the youngster and Mbakwe/Colt beat up Sullinger on the inside. As good as Sullinger is, I don't think he has played anybody as big and strong as those two so far, much less at the same time. OSU will get some home cooking but not like WI/MSU do, and our bigs will have to dominate to win. Should be fun to see what happens against an elite prospect. Losing Devoe sucks but I am really looking forward to that game.

I have to be honest, I was pretty surprised that a beat reporter would throw that out there...but hey, Twitter has changed the way reporters report these days. I think Marcus usually does a good job; so that comment seems strange coming from him.

How was that a knock on OSU? I think you read what I was saying it with a tone different from what I wrote it with.

What I was basically saying is, teams simply don't often lose by 20+ in conference play. IMO Indiana is a bottom 2 team in the Big Ten. Ohio State beat them by 18.

Is it possible that the gophers lose by a huge margin? Certainly, but it is hardly expected. I was not putting down OSU. THey are probably the conference favorite and they are one of a dozen or fewer teams that may have a legit shot at a national title.

That is some shameful busch league reporting. Sure, Minnesota probably won't win, but it's not his job to write crap like that. He's supposed to be objective, not slandering.

As an OSU fan, what do you think of their freshmen point guard? When the Gophs beat them at the Barn last year, Nolen was a huge key in frustrating Turner into turning the ball over a ton. Turner still put up some big numbers (especially in a 5 minute strech when Nolen sat), but I'm curious as to what you think of their Freshmen point guard. I only really watched them play Florida, but I assume he starts/handles the most. I would assume he is their biggest weakness, but that is only because nothing else about that lineup seems weak.

I'm not sure how Minnesota will handle Buford, Lighty, and Diebler. By not sure I mean I know they won't be able to defend them, but I'm hoping Nolen cleans up on the youngster and Mbakwe/Colt beat up Sullinger on the inside. As good as Sullinger is, I don't think he has played anybody as big and strong as those two so far, much less at the same time. OSU will get some home cooking but not like WI/MSU do, and our bigs will have to dominate to win. Should be fun to see what happens against an elite prospect. Losing Devoe sucks but I am really looking forward to that game.

Craft is OK, I mean he's not going to be making any of the All-Big Ten teams anytime soon (unless it's for defense), but he has a good A/TO ratio on the season and when the refs let him play, can be disruptive on the defensive end. I am concerned about how he's going to play when the competition steps up - he was pretty shaky in the road game at Indiana, although it was his first Big Ten game. He also didn't play well at Florida State. I don't view South Carolina as a legit high major team this year. So really only one good game in three against high major type teams. He doesn't start, but things seem to flow better with him out there. He will have to play better on a consistent basis for this team to play up to their potential.

I think the problem for the Gophers is they haven't guarded shooters particularly well, at least not since Puerto Rico. This team kills you if you don't guard the shooters well. Diebler has been pretty good all year outside of the FSU game, and is shooting over 50% on 3s. Buford appears to have turned a corner from where he was earlier this season and is shooting better. Lighty can shoot. Minnesota will have to play a lot better defense than they did vs. MSU and Virginia if they expect to make this a game, because you have to guard all those guys pretty well, in addition to Sullinger down low. If the Gophers are going to win this game, it's going to have to be with superior defense, and if the effort and execution on the D end isn't there, it could get out of hand.

That is some shameful busch league reporting. Sure, Minnesota probably won't win, but it's not his job to write crap like that. He's supposed to be objective, not slandering.

Especially when there is no shame in losing to OSU on the road - in fact most teams are going to get rolled at Valuecity Arena. You'd expect those potshot jabs if the team was 3-11, but this is an 11-3 team still ranked in one of the polls. Pretty stupid thing to say about a team that doesn't deserve to be a punchline yet at this point in the season.

Craft is OK, I mean he's not going to be making any of the All-Big Ten teams anytime soon (unless it's for defense), but he has a good A/TO ratio on the season and when the refs let him play, can be disruptive on the defensive end. I am concerned about how he's going to play when the competition steps up - he was pretty shaky in the road game at Indiana, although it was his first Big Ten game. He also didn't play well at Florida State. I don't view South Carolina as a legit high major team this year. So really only one good game in three against high major type teams. He doesn't start, but things seem to flow better with him out there. He will have to play better on a consistent basis for this team to play up to their potential.

I think the problem for the Gophers is they haven't guarded shooters particularly well, at least not since Puerto Rico. This team kills you if you don't guard the shooters well. Diebler has been pretty good all year outside of the FSU game, and is shooting over 50% on 3s. Buford appears to have turned a corner from where he was earlier this season and is shooting better. Lighty can shoot. Minnesota will have to play a lot better defense than they did vs. MSU and Virginia if they expect to make this a game, because you have to guard all those guys pretty well, in addition to Sullinger down low. If the Gophers are going to win this game, it's going to have to be with superior defense, and if the effort and execution on the D end isn't there, it could get out of hand.

Totally agree, Diebler, Buford, and Lighty are going to be a problem. I have a hard time believing they can in in Columbus but I am hoping to be wrong.

Top Bottom