This is unbelievable

ilovethebarn

Reaction score
The reactions on this board. Laughable is more like it. Where is the same fire when we beat two teams in a row? Why does this only happen when we lose? For how difficult our first half of the season is our second half is much easier. We will finish out the big ten at 7-0 or 6-1. Yeah it sucks we lost 2 in a row, but I would bet the only team that could have had a better outcome in this conference is Ohio State or Purdue.

So your saying we should be happy just to have played well. It's really hard to win Big Ten road games so we should be satisfied to be 0-2 with a squad that has enough talent to be 2-0.

We should then be just fine with starting out 1-3 or even 1-4 (because Purdue is really good too). No real reason to set our expectations higher than that. You say we will be 6-1 (or 7-0) to finish the season...hmmm that would have us at 7-5 not counting the middle. That equates to 10-8 or 11-7. Should be good enough for 5th or 6th.

You no doubt will be just fine with that.

So your saying we should be happy just to have played well. It's really hard to win Big Ten road games so we should be satisfied to be 0-2 with a squad that has enough talent to be 2-0.

We should then be just fine with starting out 1-3 or even 1-4 (because Purdue is really good too). No real reason to set our expectations higher than that. You say we will be 6-1 (or 7-0) to finish the season...hmmm that would have us at 7-5 not counting the middle. That equates to 10-8 or 11-7. Should be good enough for 5th or 6th.

You no doubt will be just fine with that.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

The reactions on this board. Laughable is more like it. Where is the same fire when we beat two teams in a row? Why does this only happen when we lose? For how difficult our first half of the season is our second half is much easier. We will finish out the big ten at 7-0 or 6-1. Yeah it sucks we lost 2 in a row, but I would bet the only team that could have had a better outcome in this conference is Ohio State or Purdue.

How do you figure a 7-0 or 6-1 finish? What have you seen lately that suggests they can go on a run like that? Not saying it can't happen, but this team struggled with some low level D-I teams that are far worse than any B10 team.

I think what has most folks disturbed is the continuation of trends that have been showing during the nonconference games. Poor half court offense. Lack of offensive options. Virtually uncontested 3 pointers, seemingly at will, for every team we play. Turnovers.

I thought losing at Wisconsin, with Wisconsin playing perhaps as well as they will play all year, was actually fairly encouraging. The MSU game was just the opposite. MSU was begging to get blown out in the first half, but a 28 point offensive effort, and a 'oh poop, here we go again' start to the second half was all it took for the Gophers to pee down their leg. There was little mental toughness, little coaching innovation or intervention, and it looked all too familiar to me.

I don't think anyone should have expected the team to win either of these first 2 games. But, we can expect improvement and I for one don't see any.

Unbelievable. When your ranked 13th in the nation you expect to win both of these and at the very least split. Gophers fans have been sucked into so many sub par and mediocre seasons there just ok with it now

Unbelievable. When your ranked 13th in the nation you expect to win both of these and at the very least split. Gophers fans have been sucked into so many sub par and mediocre seasons there just ok with it now

Your spelling and grammar is lacking.

Sorry I don't use spell check

To some, your poor spelling and grammar makes it difficult to take what you post seriously. That is simply the truth.

At any rate, realize that we were ~8 point underdogs (i.e., heavy underdogs) in both of those games according to the betting public. I highly doubt that was due to an incredible amount of dollars being poured on the game by certain bettors.

Before the season started all the way up through today, the reality is that any reasonable mind has consistently thought that most likely we'll start off in the Big Ten/11/12 1-3. Any substantial reaction to the fact we lost two games we were 'supposed to lose' is strange.

I must agree. It was easy to see both the 0-2 start and the subsequent GH melt-down coming a mile away. I'm not surprised, but I still hoped for better from this board.

To some, your poor spelling and grammar makes it difficult to take what you post seriously. That is simply the truth.

At any rate, realize that we were ~8 point underdogs (i.e., heavy underdogs) in both of those games according to the betting public. I highly doubt that was due to an incredible amount of dollars being poured on the game by certain bettors.

Before the season started all the way up through today, the reality is that any reasonable mind has consistently thought that most likely we'll start off in the Big Ten/11/12 1-3. Any substantial reaction to the fact we lost two games we were 'supposed to lose' is strange.

My issue with this position is that is seems that is is expected, and more importantly, ok with the fans to start 1-3.

How can any reasonable mind expect that a team heavy on jr/sr's, a team that has a wonderful coach, a team that has additions such as the fr and Mbakwe be expected to lose 3 of 4 to start?

Talk about lowering expectations. I thought with Tubby the expectations would be higher for the team. Obviously, only for some folks.

My issue with this position is that is seems that is is expected, and more importantly, ok with the fans to start 1-3.

How can any reasonable mind expect that a team heavy on jr/sr's, a team that has a wonderful coach, a team that has additions such as the fr and Mbakwe be expected to lose 3 of 4 to start?

Talk about lowering expectations. I thought with Tubby the expectations would be higher for the team. Obviously, only for some folks.

Did you expect the Gophers to go 16-2 or better? If so, you can be upset. If not, then how is it the Gopher's fault that the 3 most difficult games on the schedule occur in the first 4 games? It's simply bad luck with the scheduling and nothing more. Second we were reasonably in both games so far. It's not like we went out and got blown out.

'OK with the fans to start 1-3' is subjective... as for expected, like I said, any reasonable mind would have expected a 1-3 start as the most likely start to the Big 10/11/12 season. You can disagree, but that is unreasonable. Additions such as the freshman? Come on, my man...

Did you bet thousands of dollars on Minnesota +8 when the odds makers made Wisconsin and Michigan State 8 point favorites? Why in the world would you not have done so?

Did you expect the Gophers to go 16-2 or better? If so, you can be upset. If not, then how is it the Gopher's fault that the 3 most difficult games on the schedule occur in the first 4 games? It's simply bad luck with the scheduling and nothing more. Second we were reasonably in both games so far. It's not like we went out and got blown out.

Bad luck??????

Please.

Play the games, and win the games. This is a highly experienced team playing for a hall of fame coach.

So that meas we should win every home game then besides osu? I highly doubt that will happen

'OK with the fans to start 1-3' is subjective... as for expected, like I said, any reasonable mind would have expected a 1-3 start as the most likely start to the Big 10/11/12 season. You can disagree, but that is unreasonable. Additions such as the freshman? Come on, my man...

Did you bet thousands of dollars on Minnesota +8 when the odds makers made Wisconsin and Michigan State 8 point favorites? Why in the world would you not have done so?

Unreasonable to expect a highly experienced team to start 1-3??? I dont think so.

You would have expected Monson to start 1-3, not Tubby. Fans hated Monson. Tubby is here and it is expected to start 1-3????

Yes, freshman. And TM. Our FR seem really quite good, albeit inexperienced. Pardon me, but I heard right here numerous times that TM would destroy the rest of the league.

Bad luck??????

Please.

Play the games, and win the games. This is a highly experienced team playing for a hall of fame coach.

Did you expect them to go 16-2 or better? If not, please advise which games you foresaw them losing while winning @ Wisconsin and @ Michigan State. They do need to win the games. But I personally am hoping for 11-7 or better. And I certainly had these two games among the losses, as anyone who had them losing more then 2-3 games would have.

Unreasonable to expect a highly experienced team to start 1-3??? I dont think so.

You would have expected Monson to start 1-3, not Tubby. Fans hated Monson. Tubby is here and it is expected to start 1-3????

Yes, freshman. And TM. Our FR seem really quite good, albeit inexperienced. Pardon me, but I heard right here numerous times that TM would destroy the rest of the league.

I think you meant, 'not' unreasonable to expect... at any rate, my expectation was a 1-3 start, anything better would be fantastic and I believe that the majority of reasonable folks thought so as well.. and most certainly that is how the money will fall (i.e., us as heavy underdogs in 3 games, heavy favorites in one game). Money rarely lies.

Our FR seem really quite good? You 'heard' Mbakwe would destroy the rest of the league.

Gotcha. I see exactly where you're coming from.

Games we were 'supposed to win' vs. games we weren't supposed to win... we are a +1 for the year.

Why are you so content with being mediocre and making excuses for this team?? "Expecting" a team to start the conf. 1-3 and being "ok" with that bothers me. When are you going to start demanding more from this team?? This year I was expecting for us to contend for a big10 title and it appears my expectations were too high. Your comeback to that will be "look who are first 2 games are against..." I don't care. To be considered one of the best in the league oyu have to get road wins vs. the big10's elite teams and we have proven time and time again that we can not do that. To expect this team who is rated in the top 15 to start conference play 1-3 and be ok with that is asinine.

It is unbelievable the number of posters here are ok with being 1-3. What if we start out 0-4?? Then what will your excuse be??

I think you meant, 'not' unreasonable to expect... at any rate, my expectation was a 1-3 start, anything better would be fantastic and I believe that the majority of reasonable folks thought so as well.. and most certainly that is how the money will fall (i.e., us as heavy underdogs in 3 games, heavy favorites in one game). Money rarely lies.

Our FR seem really quite good? You 'heard' Mbakwe would destroy the rest of the league.

Gotcha. I see exactly where you're coming from.

Games we were 'supposed to win' vs. games we weren't supposed to win... we are a +1 for the year.

Look Warrior, I really appreciate your posts and follow them closely.

Here, I really must disagree with your stance. Monson sucked due to being 1-3. It is ok for Tubby to be 1-3.

Schedule is the schedule, period. Play the games.

It gets very tiresome seeing the low, low expectations of this team and the coach.

Here, I really must disagree with your stance. Monson sucked due to being 1-3. It is ok for Tubby to be 1-3.

It gets very tiresome seeing the low, low expectations of this team and the coach.

Curious, what did you expect the final conference record to be? What will the Big10 champ record be?

Curious, what did you expect the final conference record to be? What will the Big10 champ record be?

This team and coach should equate to no more than 4 losses in conference. I figured no worse than 3rd in conf.

My guess is 2-3 losses for the champ.

Thanks for the honesty - very much appreciated. I'm with you on the 'very tiresome' comment... but that is where we are. Like I stated before the season started, I felt this was a 6th place team... (and didn't dwell on it, but in what is not the best conference this year, as many believe)

Now, if you look at our schedule.. it's brutally tough to start. If we don't beat the p1ss out of Indiana then I will join in on this bandwagon... that would be ridiculous.

You're upset people would think a 1-3 start is OK... but your focus should be what the team's conference record will be. "Play the games, win in games 1 or 2 or die!!!!!!" is unreasonable. If the expectation is 10-8, but a 1-3 start... that's a lot different than a 4-14 season, with a 1-3 start. The start of our schedule blows. It could turn out doing us some good, in a strange way.

Big Ten Predicted Order of Finish:
Ohio State
Michigan State
Illinois
Purdue
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
Penn State
Michigan
Indiana
Iowa

It is unbelievable the number of posters here are ok with being 1-3. What if we start out 0-4?? Then what will your excuse be??

Wonderful, you have higher standards. So what? Tubby is going to coach better because you and a dozen other guys on GH are upset? Or maybe we should get another coach? It is what it is, and all of these hissy fits get frickin' old.

The best we ever did in one season is 31 and 4. That was taken away from us due to academic fraud. Next best, I think was a couple of 23 win seasons. This team will wind up better then that.

I am not happy with the way we are playing. If you studied the schdule before the year started you would have probably forecast those 2 losses and us losing 3 of our first 4. We have had Devoe out, then Al out and now Mo out. Tubby and team will adjust and this team will due just fine.

Wonderful, you have higher standards. So what? Tubby is going to coach better because you and a dozen other guys on GH are upset? Or maybe we should get another coach? It is what it is, and all of these hissy fits get frickin' old.

being average is getting old. im glad you are content with that. i want this team to win a big10 title. apparently being average is ok with you. cool.

being average is getting old. im glad you are content with that. i want this team to win a big10 title. apparently being average is ok with you. cool.

I think 12-6 may have a shot at winning the title this year because the conference is balanced, and because it is so difficult to win on the road, especially at Mackey, Breslin, and Kohl. I'm not happy with 0-2, I don't like the foul trouble our team has been in, and the 3 point defense is terrible, but that doesn't mean the sky is falling. They played poorly by my unreasonable fan standards, and were in both games. Nobody is impressed because you think they should be better. It is not unreasonable to want this team to win a big ten title, and it is not unreasonable to think they can win at MSU/WI. But it is completely unreasonable to call a team average because they lost 2 of their 4 toughest games. The gophers are good, but Wisconsin and Michigan State are good too, those aren't bad losses. College basketball isn't college football, you lose games.

The teams that made the elite 8 last year had the following number of losses: Tenn-8, MSU-8, Baylor-7, Duke-5, Kentucky-2, WVA-6, K-State-7, Butler-4. Are the Gophers going to end up with a record like Kentucky, Duke, or Butler? No, but anybody that knows anything about Basketball knows they aren't as good as Kentucky or Duke were, and Butler had so few losses because they were a great team playing in a weak conference.

Two of last year's final four teams lost at Wisconsin, but I think every Wisconsin fan would trade places with those final four schools. They get to taunt MSU and say Bo owns Izzo, but it is absurd to think Wisconsin has been a better program than MSU over the last 10 years because MSU wins when it counts. I would rather this Gopher team kept improving and played their best in March then win December games on the road. They have a lot of work to do, but I still have faith in Tubby and the team

Before the season I thought the best case scenario was 1 loss in the non-conference season, 5-6 losses in Big Ten play, a loss in the big ten tourney final, 3-seed, and trip to the elite 8. All of that is still in play. Don't you think those are high expectations? You can cry all you want and be proud of wanting more out of your team but fans like you should just try to enjoy the games (a hard thing to do when they lose) and see how it plays out. It may be typical of Minnesota fans to have low expectations, but it is more typical to play the "woe is us nothing is ever different" card at the first sign of trouble

Meh, I'd be surprised if the champ has more than 4 conference losses. 3 or 4 seems most likely.

Sorry everyone

Just don't see losses at Bucky and Sparty as "sky is falling" scenario's. Now if they lose at home to Indiana then we can start talking, but I honestly thought the team would start out, at best, 2-2. I bet we will be 2-3 after the Purdue game feeling good about a victory over the Boilers.

Top Bottom