will tubby ever match monson's top 4 BT finish?

will tubby ever match monson's top 4 BT finish?

• Total voters

Go4

Reaction score
monson finished 4th in the BT one season with 4 games above .500 in bt. will tubby ever match that?

maybe in 2012, no chance this year or next, not with iverson and sampson as your bigs.........terrible

great question

Not sure, but the 05 team was my favorite to watch in the past 13 years. Overachievers with tremendous heart. Grier and ARob would eat Nolen and Hoffarber up.

Having a player like Grier or Jackson or Burton is the key, imo. This team has a lot of quality guys but none are the type of player who can will you to win. Mbakwe with a jump shot would probably do it, but he's not that type of player. Most of the time it's not a post player, anyways.

Great point on Mbakwe

He does have the heart and fire to do it, but does not have the ball in his hands enough to carry the team on his back. I think Joseph also has that fire; but just lacks some of the physical characteristics required to carry a team for periods of time.

Someone said it best when they said that Royce White was the guy that puts this team over the top. But then again, was he an offensive juggernaut?

Hollins and Hollins next year. Book it. And the rest of the big ten absolutely hemorrhages talent after this season.

Look who is leaving:
OSU: Lauderdale, Light, Sullinger, Diebler, Thomas, possibly Buford
PU: Moore, Hummel won't even be a shadow of his former self if he comes back at all, Johnson
WI: Leuer, Nankivil
IL: Davis, Cole, Tisdale, McCamey
MSU: Lucas, Summers,
PSU: Battle, Jones, Brooks, Jackson
NU: Thompson
UM doesn't lose anyone, except any transfers
IA: Cole
IN: Rivers

Not great to lose both Nolen and Hoff, but Ande Hollins can fill in for Nolen, and Coleman, Austin, and Armelin should be able to provide some scoring.

Not sure, but the 05 team was my favorite to watch in the past 13 years. Overachievers with tremendous heart. Grier and ARob would eat Nolen and Hoffarber up.

Aaron Robinson is hands down the best PG the gophers have had in 10 years. This team would be very good with someone like him.

monson finished 4th in the BT one season with 4 games above .500 in bt. will tubby ever match that?

I'm confused, I thought IU was a #4 seed going into the BTT...that's what Mike Davis preached when they were snubbed. Just kidding - this is a good question. I think we're all realizing how tough it is to be top 4, and impressive Monson did it with a few walk-ons, a lightly recruited point guard, some JUCO's and others we hadn't really heard of.

Not to take away from the 2005 success, but Monson greatly benefited from a Big Ten that wasn't very good that year. Purdue was 3-13, Michigan was 4-12, Ohio State was 8-8. Iowa wasn't very good, Northwestern was bad, and Penn State was awful, so there were wins to be had and to his credit, Monson got his team to win some of them.

The Big Ten that Tubby has faced the past two years is much better from top to bottom. Just this year, there have been seven different Big Ten teams that have received votes in the AP poll.

Now, that's not an excuse to never finish in the Top Four in the Big Ten. The talent is on hand to do it.

Only five teams made it to the NCAA tourney in 2005. Illinois got a #1 seed in the tourney. The next highest seed of a Big Ten team was 5th (Michigan St.). However, the conference did get three teams into the Elite 8 and two into the Final Four.

At some point I think Tubby WILL match a 4th place finish.
I do NOT expect he will ever do any better though.
One thing is for sure, the Monson players are about gone and Tubby is playing
with his players and the best players he has had since arriving in Minn.
I don't know how much longer he will want to coach so if he is going to match
it or do better he better do it soon.

Monson getting Grier was lucky and they finished 4th ... when Tubby gets lucky he wins the national championship.

Not to take away from the 2005 success, but Monson greatly benefited from a Big Ten that wasn't very good that year. Purdue was 3-13, Michigan was 4-12, Ohio State was 8-8. Iowa wasn't very good, Northwestern was bad, and Penn State was awful, so there were wins to be had and to his credit, Monson got his team to win some of them.

The Big Ten that Tubby has faced the past two years is much better from top to bottom. Just this year, there have been seven different Big Ten teams that have received votes in the AP poll.

Now, that's not an excuse to never finish in the Top Four in the Big Ten. The talent is on hand to do it.

Then dont take away from the 2005 season with your nonsense.

You can only play the games on the schedule. Smells like Tubby excuse making to me.

Top Bottom