For you homers out there...

go4fan

Reaction score
who say being 0-2 is ok...what planet are you on?? that is not ok. i don't care who they played, this shows that we again, are a middle of the road big 10 team that will sweat out selection sunday again...anyone else getting tired of that? when was the last time we were a lock? 97?? that is putrid. since then we have been an average to below average big10 team that has never really challenged for a big 10 title. and yet some of you homers are ok with that. 1-1 i would have been happy with but we NEEDED to win one of these games to show that we belong in the conversation with the top teams. cause the top teams go into other places and beat other top teams. we cant do that. we will beat the bottom feeders and pick up a good win or 2 at home and sweat out selection sunday.

does tubby know what an offense is?? i havent seen a consistent offense from this team since he has been here.

lastly, ralph and rodney have NOT improved since their fr. year and that is on tubby.

The "Aw shucks" mentailty and being a bubble team year in and year out is good enough for 99.9% of the people in this town. I mean, we're talking about a program that has never been to the NCAA Tournament 3 straight years.

The "Aw shucks" mentailty and being a bubble team year in and year out is good enough for 99.9% of the people in this town. I mean, we're talking about a program that has never been to the NCAA Tournament 3 straight years.

Joe Mauer can hit .091 in the post season and is still guaranteed to get a standing ovation. You take your own life in your hands here if you question that logic and dare not to stand cheer for him.

Tubby Smith is teflon too.

We're a unique sports locale. We'll chase Brewster, Clem, Dennis Green, and Daunte Culpepper with pitchforks, but a select few capture our humble hearts and become untouchable, unless they fondle a woman in the Redstone latrine.

a joe mauer playoff at bat..

first pitch: right down broadway but he will never swing at the first pitch.
2nd pitch: foul ball.
3rd pitch: look stupid swinging at a slider way out of the zone...
see ya

who say being 0-2 is ok...what planet are you on?? that is not ok. i don't care who they played, this shows that we again, are a middle of the road big 10 team that will sweat out selection sunday again...anyone else getting tired of that? when was the last time we were a lock? 97?? that is putrid. since then we have been an average to below average big10 team that has never really challenged for a big 10 title. and yet some of you homers are ok with that. 1-1 i would have been happy with but we NEEDED to win one of these games to show that we belong in the conversation with the top teams. cause the top teams go into other places and beat other top teams. we cant do that. we will beat the bottom feeders and pick up a good win or 2 at home and sweat out selection sunday.

does tubby know what an offense is?? i havent seen a consistent offense from this team since he has been here.

lastly, ralph and rodney have NOT improved since their fr. year and that is on tubby.

I guess it's panic buton time. Are we firing Tubby on Monday morning?

I think you're right. We're Minnesota. We aren't supposed to beat the Yankees in the playoffs, ever win a Super Bowl, finish in the top half of the Big Ten 10 football, or ever expect a basketball conference title.

I'm gonna stop pushing the panic button and follow your lead of embracing what Minnesota sports is.

who say being 0-2 is ok...what planet are you on?? that is not ok. i don't care who they played, this shows that we again, are a middle of the road big 10 team that will sweat out selection sunday again...

Yes, because any team who loses on the road to Wisconsin and Michigan State is a whole new breed of terrible. Wisconsin had 2 turnovers the whole game, and was nearly shooting 95% on free throws, not to mention that Wisconsin wins somewhere around 90% of the time against Big 10 opponents in Kohl Center. There was also some questionable officiating in the Michigan State game, granted it might not have been enough to turn the game around. Oh yeah, and they were both ranked too. LOADS of teams would have lost these games.

Outside of Ohio State, probably every other Big 10 team would be 0-2 with the same schedule as the Gophers.

KYgopher...the point is that we are a middle of the road big10 team...again...we can't beat the good teams on the road. are you ok with finishing in tho top half of the big10?? if so, good for you. i am tired of it. i want this team to be in the running for a big10 title. that is now a pipe dream and we will be on the bubble 2 months from now.

KYgopher...the point is that we are a middle of the road big10 team...again...we can't beat the good teams on the road. are you ok with finishing in tho top half of the big10?? if so, good for you. i am tired of it. i want this team to be in the running for a big10 title. that is now a pipe dream and we will be on the bubble 2 months from now.

You do realize the B10 is the toughest conference in America? Keep that in mind. Probably any other year, the Gophers would be among the top in the league, but it just so happens our best squad faces the best squads from other B10 teams as well. So protecting the homecourt is paramount. The B10 champion could have 5 losses this year, so let's keep some perspective.

I think you're right. We're Minnesota. We aren't supposed to beat the Yankees in the playoffs, ever win a Super Bowl, finish in the top half of the Big Ten 10 football, or ever expect a basketball conference title.

I'm gonna stop pushing the panic button and follow your lead of embracing what Minnesota sports is.

ah, sarcasm to go along with your whining. Ugly combination.

This team is way too predictable. I think most Gopher fans are not surprised that we lost the last two. We will beat indiana by 5 as they shoot a ton of threes and it will be close. We will get destroyed by OSU and the pudue will be a struggle.

You do realize the B10 is the toughest conference in America? Keep that in mind. Probably any other year, the Gophers would be among the top in the league, but it just so happens our best squad faces the best squads from other B10 teams as well. So protecting the homecourt is paramount. The B10 champion could have 5 losses this year, so let's keep some perspective.

i don't care how tough the conf. is this year. the point is we haven't contended for a big10 title since 97 and we wont again this year. so i get upset when homers like you make excusses for this team.

I agree that just about any team in the country would be 0-2 opening at Wisconsin and MSU. That doesn't make it OK. It just makes it stupid to panic.

I have the Gophers 3rd in the Big Ten at 12-6, 23-7. Losing at Wisconsin and MSU doesn't change that. Wait til we play Ohio State and Purdue. OMG I'm gonna jump off a tall building if they lose! Not.

12-6 is not a given but they don't really have to win any games they're not supposed to win to do it. Just don't lose any you're not supposed to lose.

I think the reality button was pushed. The team is going to struggle to get into the NCAA tournament. I think the fans wanted more, I know I did.

Here's a hypothetical question for the people who seem to think the sky is falling: Let's say these loses as MSU and Wisconsin aren't back to back. We still lose both games, but maybe we lose at WI in December and at MSU in February. Taking no other context from the rest Big Ten season, would you look only at those two games and decide that the Gophers are once again a middle-of-the-pack bubble team?

That's pretty much what is happening right now. We just played and lost two of the hardest games on any team's Big Ten schedule. I wished we won them both as much as anybody, but I'm not devastated by the losses. We play 16 more conference games. Maybe we are a middle-of-the-pack team that will sweat out Selection Sunday again. Or maybe we'll go about 13-5, finishing 2nd behind 16-2 Ohio State. Likely somewhere in the middle. But why don't we wait to see how the rest of those games go before making some of those judgments?

Or how about, in future seasons, we just judge everything based on how we do at Wisconsin and at MSU?

Think about where they loss--Wisconsin? Bo doesn't lose at home. Michigan State? They naysayers are ready to write the Spartans off after arguably playing the toughest non-conference schedule in the country.

The frightening thing about both losses is both were winnable and had there not been long stretches on "nothing" late in the game, we could be home 2-0. That being said, winning on the road in the B10 is difficult.

I think the reality button was pushed. The team is going to struggle to get into the NCAA tournament. I think the fans wanted more, I know I did.

I think I will retire from my job as Manager of the Men's Wallet Department at WalMart and open up a Counselling Center for Anger Management.

Here's a hypothetical question for the people who seem to think the sky is falling: Let's say these loses as MSU and Wisconsin aren't back to back. We still lose both games, but maybe we lose at WI in December and at MSU in February. Taking no other context from the rest Big Ten season, would you look only at those two games and decide that the Gophers are once again a middle-of-the-pack bubble team?

That's pretty much what is happening right now. We just played and lost two of the hardest games on any team's Big Ten schedule. I wished we won them both as much as anybody, but I'm not devastated by the losses. We play 16 more conference games. Maybe we are a middle-of-the-pack team that will sweat out Selection Sunday again. Or maybe we'll go about 13-5, finishing 2nd behind 16-2 Ohio State. Likely somewhere in the middle. But why don't we wait to see how the rest of those games go before making some of those judgments?

Or how about, in future seasons, we just judge everything based on how we do at Wisconsin and at MSU?

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight ... it ISN'T a 2 game season??????? I thought to save money the NCAA cut out all other games and based it on your first two games? Now, I sure am confused.

This Gopher team is almost as bad as that UConn women's team, I mean, they lost to a team ranked lower than them on the road by TWELVE sheesh, what a horrible team.

So what's your solution? Do you thinks it's time to fire the coach? I say it's a tad bit early to fire the coach of a 11-3 team 2 games into the big ten schedule, relax.

Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight ... it ISN'T a 2 game season??????? I thought to save money the NCAA cut out all other games and based it on your first two games? Now, I sure am confused.

This Gopher team is almost as bad as that UConn women's team, I mean, they lost to a team ranked lower than them on the road by TWELVE sheesh, what a horrible team.

If the Gophers go on a 90 game winning streak, I will forgive a loss to Wis. AND MSU, either at home OR away. Until then, don't compare MN to the women's UConn team...really?

I find it funny how anyone that is upset about losing is characterized as hitting the panic button. I could characterize everyone who is saying that we should simply accept the fact that we were going to lose to these teams at their home court as losers. I think it is acceptable to be upset about these loses. Furthermore, based on the Gophers recent play leading into the conference games I had NO expectation that they would win. I should have some expectation they will win win but I did not because they had been playing piss poor prior to the games at Wis. and MSU. I expect more out of this team, especially when when they are coached by a guy who is getting paid over 2 mil. a year. We should see a noticeable improvements at this stage in Tubby's time here. I am not willing to write off Tubby yet, but I am not going to give him a pass simply because he is Tubby. He needs to prove himself like every other coach. I do want to see a B10 championship. Middle of the road is not good enough.

I find it funny how anyone that is upset about losing is characterized as hitting the panic button. I could characterize everyone who is saying that we should simply accept the fact that we were going to lose to these teams at their home court as losers. I think it is acceptable to be upset about these loses. Furthermore, based on the Gophers recent play leading into the conference games I had NO expectation that they would win. I should have some expectation they will win win but I did not because they had been playing piss poor prior to the games at Wis. and MSU. I expect more out of this team, especially when when they are coached by a guy who is getting paid over 2 mil. a year. We should see a noticeable improvements at this stage in Tubby's time here. I am not willing to write off Tubby yet, but I am not going to give him a pass simply because he is Tubby. He needs to prove himself like every other coach. I do want to see a B10 championship. Middle of the road is not good enough.

Being upset about the losses isn't what is being characterized as hitting the panic button. Everybody's upset about the losses. Some people are more willing to view them in the context of an 18-game conference season that will include much easier games.

In your OP, you say that this 0-2 start proves we are a middle of the road team that has made no improvement and that will be on the bubble. I'd agree, if we started 0-2 vs Penn State and Indiana or something like that. But we lost at Wisconsin and at Michigan State. Aside from at Ohio State, those are our two toughest games on the schedule.

To be honest, I have no idea how anybody could come to the conclusion that losing those two games (and being competitive in both) means we are definitely a middle-of-the-road team. That makes no sense to me. If those game's don't occur back to back, nobody would make this big a deal out of it. But that's how the schedule goes. Our three toughest games occur in a stretch of four games. So be it.

Nobody's saying that we should be happy with the losses. But to respond to losses at Michigan State and at Wisconsin by writing off the team as having made no improvement and as a definite bubble team is overreacting.

We play 16 more conference games. Take it easy and let's see how the rest of them go.

Thank you for reinforcing why I never come on this board anymore. The sky is falling mentality after two road games against two top 25 teams is very annoying.

Let's see - if the two losses had been Indiana/Penn State I would be more concerned. If they had been at home I would be more concerned.

Am I happy they lost? No. Did I expect to win both games? No.

Top Bottom