Coaching

SmokeyGopher

Reaction score
Both our offensive and defensive schemes are terrible. On offense it looks like a really bad pick-up game with guys standing still and somebody just standing out front and dribbling. Sorry folks, we can't blame that on the players it's squarely on the coaching staff to have a good scheme and then make the players execute it.

On defense we automatically double team the ball if it goes in the post no matter the quality of the player with the ball. I will take my chances with our bigs playing one on one defense and contesting shots and not giving up uncontested 3s all day. This also means we are left vulnerable for offensive rebounds because when we double team the guy that was left open isn't being boxed out.

I'm very disappointed in our overall coaching and if Tubby decides to go to GA Tech or somewhere else that's his prerogative. In order to be successful in the big ten you need to not only execute but have a system that works. Maybe Tubby doesn't have the personnel to make his system work but our offense and defensive schemes are laughable for a major program.

i applaud tubby for bringing this team back to respectability but thats all the further we will go with him here. rodney and ralph have not improved since they arrived on campus and THAT is on tubby. tubby has no clue what an offense is.

on the bright side, should anything happen to tubby i think flip would take this job and i think he would do a great job.

Tubby Hire in Football

Thank Goodness Joel Maturi did not make a " Tubby Smith Hire " for our new football coach.

I completely agree that no one is improving except Trevor M. Rodney Williams has no clue what his role is. Sampson and Iverson have nobody coaching their skills in the post. Their constant double-teaming the ball is a large reason the opponents are shooting lights out on their 3 pointers. Also the fact that their free throw shooting is the worst in the Big 10, I have a hard time believing the Gophers will make it into the NCAA Tourney. I hope I am completely way off base. I hate to be negative. I know the season is still early. I hope things get better. I am a big fan and will still support them.

You guys must have been on the verge of doing serious damage to yourselves when Monson was the coach.

I Thought Gophers Would Be 10-4 Now

10-2 in OOC play and 0-2 in B10.

Instead they're 11-3.

See what happens.

Since the Puerto Rico tournament, this Gopher team looks positively uninspired. Like a robot being controlled by an inexperienced operator--some times there are flashes of potential, other times it just goes haywire.

Coaches provide a game plan, make adjustments and inspire/motivate teams to win games. Again, this team seems uninspired and it's a shame given the obvious talent on this squad.

I didn't expect the team to win these first 2 games. But, I agree with what I am reading here. We should be able to see some improvement by now if not several games ago.

Why can't we ever defend the 3?
Why aren't Rodney and Al improving their jump shots?
Why is Trevor doing just as many things wrong as he does things right?
Why can't Iverson learn to extend his body and arm when he shoots in the post?
Why is someone always in Hoffarber's face?
Why is Devoe still off the pace he finished with last year?
Why have we been the worst freethrow shooting team in the BT?

I still have faith this team will come around. The worst is almost over. But, there has to be improvement.

Since the Puerto Rico tournament, this Gopher team looks positively uninspired. Like a robot being controlled by an inexperienced operator--some times there are flashes of potential, other times it just goes haywire.

Coaches provide a game plan, make adjustments and inspire/motivate teams to win games. Again, this team seems uninspired and it's a shame given the obvious talent on this squad.

Same thing in the second half, no consistancy, no movement on offense, they get tight and stand around when the other team makes a run. Without Mbwake on the floor their isn't anybody that can create on their own.

Saw a couple flashes of guys creating on their own in the second half but far to long in between. Saw what Rodney could do right at the end. He needs to be doing that a lot more. Take his player to the hoop. Need to feed Trevor constantly in the post. We do those 2 things and we don't lose to M state yesterday.

Top Bottom