Say goodbye to the top 25

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
MN will fall out this week and not be able to get back in for 4 weeks or so. Too bad. The 2nd half today has been extremely poor.

MN will fall out this week and not be able to get back in for 4 weeks or so. Too bad. The 2nd half today has been extremely poor.

Too bad? Why? This isn't a top 25 team.

That said, losses in Madison and East Lansing are not bad losses. The problem is that these games are all stacked together so the "feeling" can get a bit down.

That said, losses in Madison and East Lansing are not bad losses. The problem is that these games are all stacked together so the "feeling" can get a bit down.

I agree they sure dont seem like one. Aside from the 3 game tourney this fall, the team has looked worse than either of the past two teams Tubby threw out there.

I really think a lack of a go to guy hurts them.

This one is frustrating. If this is year three on the bubble in February, then it should go down as a disappointment. It'll be fair to question if Coach Smith's progress has plateaued.

Could still land around 24 or 25. Two road losses to two ranked teams aren't then end of the world.

Could still land around 24 or 25. Two road losses to two ranked teams aren't then end of the world.

While I agree that two losses to good teams on the road is not the end of the world, the team itself has not shown the ability to play well the latter parts of games, which is not a good sign...

I think you guys will still land around 22-24 after this week.

I can't wait for the ranking to be gone. This team doesn't appear good enough to handle the pressure of having a target on its back. When they are not ranked teams will be more likely to overlook them. Then maybe the Gophers can get some big wins.

who cares ?

Who cares? I just want them to play better. Ratings mean nothing. That should be obvious.

Correct all the way around. Gophers were not playing like Top 25 team since PR tourney.

Two road games where we were up 8 points - and completely caved in. Both games MSU and WIS must have had 7 to 8 straight scoring possessions when the game was in doubt. We just can't be content with the thought that nobody wins at these road places! We should have won both games with leads like that. Just saw UCLA get beat at home. Louisville at home, etc... I'm afraid for games at indiana and PSU and NW....

for me the most telling is that Minnesota was the higher ranked team in both games but yet a 8 point dog. if you are one to follow such things this IMO proves the Gophers are overrated and not really viewed as one the B10 contenders.

if these first 2 games were played at home the games based on the road line would probably have been around pick em games which also shows Wisc and MSU are generally viewed as better teams regardless.

appears to be another 9-9 type B10 season and squarely on the bubble. I would suggest in year 4 of Tubyy's tenure still a bubble team is somewhat discouraging.

I've said it in the past and continue to be amazed at how so many fans think Tubby is one of the very elite coaches in the B10. He's a good coach for sure, but I fear we'll continue to be a mediocre team under his watch.

I've said it in the past and continue to be amazed at how so many fans think Tubby is one of the very elite coaches in the B10. He's a good coach for sure, but I fear we'll continue to be a mediocre team under his watch.

He ranks 16th (in terms of career W-L % record) in all of Div I and 11th in W-L % record in NCAA tourney games.

Izzo ranks higher, so does Matta. No one else does (in both categories).

Though being in the top 25 is nice, given what the Gophers have had to deal with (injuries, suspensions) I am more concerned with their development throughout the season and being ready for the NCAA tournament. Rough start I agree, and beating these teams needs to happen next time around, but the cohesion of the team is what needs to develop.

This post is a bit amuzing for me. If they had played like a top 25 team they would stay ranked. The fact is they haven't even come close to playing like that sinse the Puerto Rico tournament. When they put together a string of 4 or 5 games where they play like they should be ranked they will be back in the top 25.

We're still #21 in the coaches poll, which seems pretty generous in my opinion.

However, if you look at the other teams in the Top 25, there are a number of them that have major flaws/bad losses. There aren't 25 Duke/OSUs, let's put it that way.

However, if you look at the other teams in the Top 25, there are a number of them that have major flaws/bad losses. There aren't 25 Duke/OSUs, let's put it that way.

How is this generous? We lost to a 24 and 19 seed on the road in close games (especially the Badger game). The 27 spot on the AP is probably closer to where we actually stand, but it isn't outrageous that we are a 21 seed in the coaches poll.

Doomsday on this board all over again (similar to the post-Virginia week). The team is still a top 25 team even though it had a difficult start of conference play. Upsets on the road would have been wonderful and we'd probably be a top 15 or 20 team if we won either of the games. I thought the team played well on the road and showed some grit against Wisco. It was a little more disappointing watching the Spartans walk all over our perimeter D in the second half.

How is this generous? We lost to a 24 and 19 seed on the road in close games (especially the Badger game).

Doomsday on this board all over again (similar to the post-Virginia week). The team is still a top 25 team even though it had a difficult start of conference play. Upsets on the road would have been wonderful and we'd probably be a top 15 or 20 team if we won either of the games. I thought the team played well on the road and showed some grit against Wisco. It was a little more disappointing watching the Spartans walk all over our perimeter D in the second half.
Good point...although I wasn't talking by much. I still thought we'd be in the Top 25, more around the 24-25 spot. I'll take #21, although we aren't ranked in the AP poll anymore.

+1. Minnesota fans always seem naive to this. 'We lost, therefore, we suck' after each and every loss. Take a look around. No matter what the sport, there are generally very few 'great' teams. The grass isn't greener in very many pastures.

Top Bottom