Joe Coleman w/ 25 points in 1st Half vs. Hyde Park

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Also, lots of rebounds and a monstor block in the half...two big jams as well.

Hopkins leads 57-32 at the half.

Watch the second half on MSBN...

www.MnSportsNetwork.com

Hopkins doesn't allow comeback
12/30/2010, 10:35pm (CST)
By Amelia Rayno, Star Tribune
The Royals had a 25-point halftime lead over Chicago Hyde Park, but knew from watching the previous night that the lead wasn’t safe.

Hopkins’ Joe Coleman steals the ball from Hyde Park’s Marcellis Davis. Kyndell Harikness, Star Tribune
Chicago Hyde Park had been down by 17 points just a night earlier, and came back to upset St. Paul Johnson, so when Hopkins had the Thunderbirds suppressed by 25 at halftime.

Hopkins continued the tear in the second half and finished the job, crushing the Thunderbirds 101-53 in the Best Buy Holiday Classic championship game at Augsburg College.

"They are the type of team that can come back, but I didn't think they had a lot left in the tank," Novak said. "But I thought we handled them pretty well and made it a little tougher for them to come after us."

After Hyde Park jumped out to an early 7-2 on a sunk 20-foot three-pointer by Marcellis Davis (one of his three three-pointers on the night), the Royals took over.

They took their first lead of the game, 10-9, on free throws, and then Joe Coleman (who finished with 31 points, and 25 in the first half) went on a eight-point tear, including a steal, a dunk and a flying block, to highlight the 14-0 run that put the Royals up 18-9.

"I just wanted to make sure we got a few stops in a row," said Coleman, who won MVP for the tournament. "We knew they'd beat Johnson the night before."

And the Royals never let up. By halftime, Hopkins had stretched the advantage to 57-32, and went to running time with a 40-point lead with about 10 minutes left, leaving Hyde Park stunned.

"We didn't know very much about them before, but we sure do now," said Thunderbirds coach Lamonte Bryant, who noted that Coleman looked like a man playing among boys at times. "They got our attention."
..Related Stories
Thursday's metro roundup
12/30/2010, 10:54pm (CST), By Star Tribune staff reports
Armstrong ekes out win over Edina
Read More

12/30/2010, 10:35pm (CST), By Amelia Rayno, Star Tribune
The Royals had a 25-point halftime lead over Chicago Hyde Park, but knew from watching the previous night that the lead wasn’t safe.
Read More

Weather woes hit tournaments
12/30/2010, 12:36pm (CST), By Staff Reports
Rough weather is causing tournament headaches across the state
Read More
Northfield loses to Edina
12/30/2010, 11:16am (CST), By Staff Reports
Raiders can’t keep up with the hot-shooting Hornets
Read More

Breakdown Sports Granite City Classic results
12/30/2010, 9:23am (CST), By Breakdown Staff
For Orono and Apple Valley, it's on to the finals
Read More
View All | RSS Most Popular Stories
Wednesday's Metro roundup
12/29/2010, 11:04pm (CST), By Star Tribune staff reports
Tartan take out Prior Lake with defense
Read More

12/30/2010, 10:35pm (CST), By Amelia Rayno, Star Tribune
Read More
State Rankings: Dec. 29, 2010
12/30/2010, 1:08pm (CST), By Minnesota Basketball News
Braham, MACCRAY tumbles in the polls
Read More

Breakdown Sports Granite City Classic results
12/30/2010, 9:23am (CST), By Breakdown Staff
For Orono and Apple Valley, it's on to the finals
Read More
7Metro Rankings: Dec. 27, 2010
12/27/2010, 3:40pm (CST), By Brian Stensaas, Star Tribune
3A St. Paul Johnson moves up to No. 2
Read More 7
View All | RSS Comments
Add a New Comment
Name *
Comment *

Type the two words below *

I for one am excited to see Joe in a Gophers uniform next year. I quite frankly don't care too much about how many 3s he is shooting/making this year. We will have a few shooters next year with ability between Joseph, the Hollins, and possibly even Oto. The strength of the team this year and next will not be three-point shooting, but we should be adequate enough considering the strength of the team is inside play with Sampson, Mbakwe, Iverson, Walker, Eliason.

I for one am excited to see Joe in a Gophers uniform next year. I quite frankly don't care too much about how many 3s he is shooting/making this year. We will have a few shooters next year with ability between Joseph, the Hollins, and possibly even Oto. The strength of the team this year and next will not be three-point shooting, but we should be adequate enough considering the strength of the team is inside play with Sampson, Mbakwe, Iverson, Walker, Eliason.

Coleman either has to grow two or three inches or have the ability to shoot a pull up jumper or shoot the three occasionally to be effective in the Big Ten. He is not going to be able to overpower the competition. Those skills may not be critical now, they will be in the future.

Top Bottom