Gary Parrish on Sportsline.com

andy

Reaction score
Part of his Friday Look Ahead:

Player trying to get rolling:

The Big Ten schedule-maker didn't do Minnesota any favors. The Gophers opened conference play at Wisconsin's Kohl Center, a place where Tim Duncan's Spurs would probably lose. Now they're at No. 20 Michigan State on Friday, then home against Indiana (Jan. 4), then at No. 2 Ohio State (on Jan. 9.) -- meaning three of Minnesota's first four Big Ten games are on the road against Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State. So let me tell you what's going to happen: Minnesota is going to start 1-3 in the Big Ten, and everybody will talk about "the collapse." Then the Gophers will balance things out and close with wins over Michigan (Feb. 26), Northwestern (March 2) and Penn State (March 6), and everybody will talk about "the turnaround." The truth, of course, is that they'll neither collapse nor turn things around. They'll just play the schedule presented, lose the games they're supposed to lose and win the ones they're supposed to win. Either way, Al Nolen needs to play better (remember, this is the "player trying to get rolling" category; had to tie it together somehow). He was 0 for 6 in that loss to Wisconsin. If he's going to shoot six times, he needs to make some of them or else the Gophers might really collapse, at which point everything you just read will look silly.

Al

We know Al is not our best jumpshot guy but I don't expect him to go 0 for 6 again. My favorite Al moment from the Wiscy game was when Al was getting ready to toss up a three, Tubby leapt out of his chair to call a timeout!

That was classic.

The announcer called it a great timeout. Al missed the shot.

He missed the one before the timeout, but he made one earlier in the game after they blew the whistle for a foul pretty sure...

actaully al drained that shot. it was the only one he hit
Check the box, Nolen was 0-6 from the field.

However, Tubby's total lack of confidence in Nolen's shot is problematic in my opinion. You have to allow your PG to shoot open jumpers, if anything to keep the defense honest.

Two different shots are being talked about, neither of which would show up in the boxscore because they were not official attempts.

The first one occurred when a foul was called an Al hit a 3 after the whistle.
The second one occurred when Tubby called a timeout and Al missed a 3 well after the whistle.

Parrish is totally right. I had a conversation with Bleed about this recently.

The Gophers might start 1-4 and people on here are going to freak out. They might be in eighth or ninth place in the league at that point.

But not enough people are going to have the patience to let the thing play out and wait until the Gophers play games they are supposed to win.

Top Bottom