Why no full court pressing this year?

Sota1

Reaction score
I understand with certain teams that have strong guards we may have some trouble, but Tubby hasn't shown this at all. It would appear with his style of playing a larger number of players and his history of pressing we would have seen more of a disrupting press. Any thoughts?

I understand with certain teams that have strong guards we may have some trouble, but Tubby hasn't shown this at all. It would appear with his style of playing a larger number of players and his history of pressing we would have seen more of a disrupting press. Any thoughts?

We pressed in the second half of the Badger game, but it wasn't very successful. I'd like to see us start pressing a bit more though. It's been one of our strengths the last couple of years.

We pressed in the second half of the Badger game, but it wasn't very successful. I'd like to see us start pressing a bit more though. It's been one of our strengths the last couple of years.

I'd like to see it when Armelin and Johnson come in. Armelin, Johnson, Nolen, Mbakwe and Williams would be a very frightening pressing squad if they would apply it 10 minutes a game against the right foes. Better get some turnovers with that unit because there ain't an outside shooter in the bunch.

This is one thing that I think Tubby made a mistake and that is no utilizing the full court press. You have to keep at it to wear the other teams out. Using it just once or twice won't get the full effect. We should've pressed the entire 2nd half. I bet we would've won.

Personell

I think this relates to the question of why we aren't playing as much zone. I think both types of defense take a certain type of player that we don't have as many of as we did in the past. That is, rangy guys with good anticipation of where the opponents and the ball are going and the ability to get there at the same time. Damian and Carter both fit the bill. Nolen is a good player for the full court but it might lead to more foul trouble for him and we need him out there.

Williams has the physical ability but I haven't seen the same type of ability to anticipate and get in passing lanes that Damian had. I don't see Sampson or Iverson being effective in this type of D.

Hollins is another guy who would be excellent in a full court trap but he's just freshman.

*oops* Yes, I do know how to spell personnel.

I'd like to see it when Armelin and Johnson come in. Armelin, Johnson, Nolen, Mbakwe and Williams would be a very frightening pressing squad if they would apply it 10 minutes a game against the right foes. Better get some turnovers with that unit because there ain't an outside shooter in the bunch.

Unless he found another year of eligibility, i don't think Johnson is gunna be getting many minutes...........

The reason

No Johnson, Carter, Westbrook and not much Nolen.

Obviously Johnson, Carter and Westbrook were pretty good in the press but I don't think that is the reason. Rodney, Nolen, Hollins, and Chip could be pretty good in a full court press.

You press a team full court if that team is subject to panic and turnovers. Sorry, experts, Big Ten teams are not subject to panic and turnovers. Nice try tho.

Only one real PG at a time until the last two games, and Nolen isn't back at full speed and is pretty fatigued. I thought Tubby addressed this when Nolen was out last year and we...wait for it...stopped pressing.

I was surprised how little Tubby pressed against the UW. I wouldn't assume that it would create turnovers much, but it would help to tire the Badgers only point guard and take away time from running a deliberate half-court offense (one less "swing").

the trap

Even though Wisconsin only has one good bal handler at guard in Taylor, Leuer is a good ball handler for his size and at his height he could throw it over the top. Most of their big men are fundamentally sound and not the type to panic. It was worth a shot still.

Top Bottom