Tubby's Comments

khoffman43

Reaction score
Just curious as to what everyone thinks of Tubby's comments on his players. Is he blowing smoke or just trying to motivate guys?

He said (I'm paraphrasing) that Mo Walker is the smartest basketball player he has ever coached.

Also said that Hollins is the best on the ball defender he has ever coached.

I have made it clear that I love Mo Walker's game and I think he will be huge (literally and figuratively) for the Gophers the next few years. He has soft hands, can hit a mid range jumper, is more aggressive than Ralph, understands floor spacing, etc. but smartest player he has ever coached?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I feel like Tubby makes some pretty preposterous statements that are hard to back up...maybe I'm way off though.

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of Tubby's comments on his players. Is he blowing smoke or just trying to motivate guys?

He said (I'm paraphrasing) that Mo Walker is the smartest basketball player he has ever coached.

I have made it clear that I love Mo Walker's game and I think he will be huge (literally and figuratively) for the Gophers the next few years. He has soft hands, can hit a mid range jumper, is more aggressive than Ralph, understands floor spacing, etc. but smartest player he has ever coached?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I feel like Tubby makes some pretty preposterous statements that are hard to back up...maybe I'm way off though.

About Mo-

1. I like him a lot for the future and his loss is big this year - depth wise and for certain matchups.

2. I wonder if Tubby was saying that when Mo missed that 3pt shot in the NC game (?) early in the shot clock with us nursing a slight lead .......

3. Mo is going to have to get a little less huge to be more huge in the future.

Seriously - watching Mo play - he is a smart player and a great passer.

I think Rajon Rondo or Cliff Hawkins were better defensively than anyone at the U under Tubby. And it's not even close. I think Tubby is just using some motivating hyperbole.

Do you have a link to those comments?

I've heard Tubby say that Mo Walker is smart, but never seen anything ever written where he's said he's THE smartest player he's EVER coached. I also heard Tubby say he thought Mo was one of the best passing big men he's coached.

Also, don't remember ever hearing anything about Hollins being the best on-ball defender ever. Heck, he isn't even the best on-ball defender currently on this team, let alone every other team Tubby has coached.

Not suggesting you made anything up, just thinking you might have misheard or misremember (as Roger Clemens would say). Because, you're right, if he flat out said those things, then he certainly was using hyperbole and not sincere about it.

I think it was something Myron said (could be totally wrong) or I misheard and Tubby said Hollins could be, or might end up being...stuff like that.

I'm very confident he said how smart Mo is after he got hurt. It was one of those interviews where someone says "What does Mo's injury do to the team?" and Tubby said "Well, it takes away depth, he might be the smartest player I have ever coached" or something like that. Sorry for not having a link/source.

It's a big :) loss any which way you cut it. He seemed to be really improving-in all aspects of his game. Can't say that about Colton for example. At times Colton (if he gets his feet set) can score with his spin move/one hander, but everything has to be just right for him to be able to put the ball in the basket. Mo was one 'big' that could make a basket as he has a nice touch and feel for the ball around the rim, w/o everything having to be just right.... That, and his passing from the block will be missed.

Has Mo played to much this year to get a medical red shirt?

Top Bottom