Myron Reference from his MN ST MKTO days.

Dr.Don

Reaction score
found this while reading comments on Myron's big article about "rumors".

Myron Medcalf.
If you were to read some of the stuff he wrote while at Minnesota State University-Mankato, you'd be hard pressed to give him any credibility. Just Google "BAMM-Myron Medcalf". He wrote some pretty stupid stuff for being what seems like a pretty intelligent guy.

posted by njbehlen on Jan 31, 09 at 4:14 pm |
Do you like this comment?

After the riots, white people and hate mail, we're left with one question: was his column really named Black Angry Myron Medcalf (BAMM)?

Okay, I was willing to give Myron the benefit of the doubt as a professional reporter, even if I don't like the tone or the timing of many of his articles.

But now having read about his background, I guess I should expect more "provocative" pieces in the future...:rolleyes:

I was a student at MSUM during this period and remember the events.

I was at the riot, and like 95% percent of the people there, I was observing and not participating. After the events Myron (BAMM) wrote a column blaming the events on White Male Priviledge. One of his comments was basically "White males have never had anyone tell them they cannot do something before." As a biracial student I thought the article was the most perposterous thing I have ever seen written in print. Like someone mentioned in the editors it wasnt only white males doing the rioting that night.

Also he wrote an article on Columbus day calling it "rape and steal" day. He doesnt think we should honor Columbus day because it marks the day Americans raped and stole etc etc.

Myron was a major hack.... I hope he has since learned. His words did nothing but set back the campus from a race relations prospective.... which sucked.

Okay, I was willing to give Myron the benefit of the doubt as a professional reporter, even if I don't like the tone or the timing of many of his articles. But now having read about his background, I guess I should expect more "provocative" pieces in the future...:rolleyes:

Purdue was #10 in the preseason polls, but Myron didn't even rank Purdue on his AP ballot. IIRC, he read his blog comments the next day and had to call AP headquarters and get his ballot changed at the last minute. That just about sealed it.

His ballot from last week.
1. Duke
2. UConn
3. Oklahoma
4. North Carolina
5. Pitt
6. Louisville
7. Wake Forest
8. Marquette
9. Xavier
10. Purdue
11. Texas
12. Arizona State
13. Syracuse
14. Butler
15. Clemson
16. Michigan State
17. Memphis
18. Gonzaga
19. Illinois
20. UCLA
21. Saint Mary’s

22. Kentucky
23. Washington
24. Notre Dame
25. Baylor

From the Barn, my post was about his preseason ballot, not last week's ballot. If I'm missing something, please explain.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/gophersbb/2008/10/27/my-ap-preseason-poll/

Bobby says:
October 27th, 2008 at 2:10 pm
I’m not sure you know anything about basketball. If you read any preseason polls Purdue is at least a top 15 poll and you don’t have them listed at all. Can’t wait to see Purdue destroy MN this year.

John says:
October 27th, 2008 at 2:50 pm
Am I hallucinating? There is a school named Purdue that you seemed to just leave out for some reason. Not only a top 10 team, but they may have the best player in the country….Please use your head before writing trash.

KJA says:
October 27th, 2008 at 2:56 pm
where’s PURDUE?

Marcus says:
October 27th, 2008 at 10:44 am
Can’t wait until March!!! Where’s Purdue???

jama says:
October 27th, 2008 at 10:38 am
Myron
Where’s Purdue? Some people have them in the top 10! I think you have Michigan State and Pitt ranked a little high.

I think Myron is having lots of those lately. I have had my share of those in my day, but I don't put them in print. LOL

I also get the sense that the Strib hired him because of his controversial background. As we have seen, they love people who create a stir, whether or not their point is factual or even feasible.

It just continues to show how much of a disease to reasonability the Strib continues to become...

IMO the biggest reason why Myron was hired is because he is probably dirt cheap as far as pay goes. This is his first gig even close to this size. With the Star-Trib in all kind of financial trouble they're probably looking to cut corners where ever they can.

Actually, Myron is OK in my book, I just happen to disagree with him on his reasoning. BUT...Myron is the writer, I am a reader. And because of all of that put together makes for interesting dialogue. Keep working Myron, and don't let us bastards wear you down.

IMO the biggest reason why Myron was hired is because he is probably dirt cheap as far as pay goes. This is his first gig even close to this size. With the Star-Trib in all kind of financial trouble they're probably looking to cut corners where ever they can.

You get what you pay for...

this is just another reason i have stopped reading that newspaper after 8 years of loyalty. i hate fat pat and bamm!

Sotakid....Please keep reading them BOTH. They allow us to vent with unleashed fury. And that keeps us from beating our friends.

Top Bottom