My take

Swede

Reaction score
-The ESPN crew was wearing Red underwear.

-Devoe Joseph is frustrating when he's jacking up threes early in the shot clock, but then one realizes that for large stretches of the game, he's the only offense this team has. Cause or effect?

-Ralph Sampson needs to man up. He shouldn't be getting his shot blocked against Soviet Army conscript look-a-likes like Wisconsin.

-Al Nolen should never shoot a 3.

-It's frustrating to lose to a Wisconsin team anchored by Minnesota kids.

-Why do we dominate the paint early, only to go away from it later on? And if there are defensive adjustments being made by the opponent, why doesn't our offense adjust to get good open looks outside?

-Rodney Williams likes to stand with hands on hip on the perimeter. Any player should earn a good stretch on the bench for such conduct.

-Wisconsin is well coached. The Badgers may have some of the most personally annoying coaches in the country in Bo Ryan and Bert Bielema, but their teams are well coached, no denying.

-Does Minnesota have any well rounded player on the roster? Blake Hoffarber might be the closest, and that's not saying much. He can shoot, decent ball handler and defender. Ralph Sampson? Not sure of what, if anything he really excels at. Rodney is a decent athlete, not much else. Al Nolen is a great defender but is an offensive liability. Joseph is a decent, if that, shooter, but poor defender. Trevor can rebound but does not have an independent offensive game. Iverson is a decent rebounder but has hands of stone on the offensive end.

-The offense under Tubby has been disappointing. Tonight was no exception. Lots of stretches where the offense depended on wild shots and lucky bounces.

-Bo Ryan has the Wisconsin attendees conditioned to object to every. Single. Foul. No matter how obvious.

-Can't get over how up in Sconnie's a$$ the ESPN crew was. Gross.

they were blowing bo all night!!!

the refs were afraid to to T him up!!

they still suck axx

-Does Minnesota have any well rounded player on the roster? Blake Hoffarber might be the closest, and that's not saying much. He can shoot, decent ball handler and defender. Ralph Sampson? Not sure of what, if anything he really excels at. Rodney is a decent athlete, not much else. Al Nolen is a great defender but is an offensive liability. Joseph is a decent, if that, shooter, but poor defender. Trevor can rebound but does not have an independent offensive game. Iverson is a decent rebounder but has hands of stone on the offensive end.
4 years with Tubby, 4 years without a go-to offensive player. This scoring by committee crap is getting old. When a team doesn't have a single player that averages more than a lousy 14 points a game, it usually means they're sorely lacking a go-to player who can put the team on his back and make the big shots. A team full of inconsistent role players, semi-stars only can achieve so much.

Will we ever see that big-time scoring leader under Tubby? :( Does he even try to recruit them? I sure hope Andre Hollins could be that guy.

4 years with Tubby, 4 years without a go-to offensive player. This scoring by committee crap is getting old. When a team doesn't have a single player that averages more than a lousy 14 points a game, it usually means they're sorely lacking a go-to player who can put the team on his back and make the big shots. A team full of inconsistent role players, semi-stars only can achieve so much.

Will we ever see that big-time scoring leader under Tubby? :( Does he even try to recruit them? I sure hope Andre Hollins could be that guy.
Well, we certainly disagree on this point. The thing I respect most about Smith and the Gophers IS their balance. The biggest thing wrong with the team is the one guy who plays like you want. We have enough firepower to win games and a balanced attack is difficult to defend. What's missing is discipline.

-

-Rodney Williams likes to stand with hands on hip on the perimeter. Any player should earn a good stretch on the bench for such conduct.

-Wisconsin is well coached. The Badgers may have some of the most personally annoying coaches in the country in Bo Ryan and Bert Bielema, but their teams are well coached, no denying.

-Bo Ryan has the Wisconsin attendees conditioned to object to every. Single. Foul. No matter how obvious.

-

1) Is Rodney leaving early for the NBDL or the Swedish league? To talk about him as a 2011 lottery pick because he can jump is an embarrassment to scouts everywhere. He must frustrate the heck out of Tubby.

2) At least you can see through the maroon and gold beer goggles and admit that.

3) I don't suppose you have ever notice that the Gophers have never committed a foul in the history of Williams Arena. Pay attention some time. Fans are fans. Period.

sconnie will be a 8 and 8 team at best because they won't win on the road. They can't rebound and if nancovil or whatever his name is doesn't hit those threes and traitor taylor isn't protected by the refs, they lose.

Does every person need his own thread for his take on a game? Especially when they're generally prisoner of the moment takes, meaning they make season conclusions largely based on current emotions and talk about what each player sucks at.

Does every person need his own thread for his take on a game? Especially when they're generally prisoner of the moment takes, meaning they make season conclusions largely based on current emotions and talk about what each player sucks at.

It would be a pretty boring message board if we had only one thread per game. Not to mention that one thread would be 24 pages long.

Maybe we should all submit threads to you for pre approval.

Well, we certainly disagree on this point. The thing I respect most about Smith and the Gophers IS their balance. The biggest thing wrong with the team is the one guy who plays like you want. We have enough firepower to win games and a balanced attack is difficult to defend. What's missing is discipline.
Don't get me wrong. I don't ever want a Penn State/Taylor Battle type team were everyone is praying for other players to step up and help out while Battle tries to do it all.

What good is balance though if 4 guys score 12-14 points and we lose? What you see as balance I see as a roster full of mostly good but no great offensive players. Seems like most of the guys on this team couldn't score over twenty points even if they were having the college game of their lives.

And Devoe Joseph isn't the biggest thing wrong with this team (as you seem to imply.) That balance you absolutely love hasn't yet helped a Tubby Smith coached Minnesota team finish better than .500 in conference play. The Gophers haven't made it past being one-and-done either.

A first team All-Big Ten player has to come from somewhere if the Gophers are to ever crack a top 3 finish in the conference. (Yeah, I know, thank you, Captain Obvious. :) ) Hence my comment about recruiting a lead scorer.

While frustrated, I am still quite encouraged by how hard the guys played in a hostile environment though. We'll see how the MSU game goes.

Did I say 1 thread per game? Please explain the point of over 2 people starting a thread about what they thought of the game? Would it not make more sense to post your take on a thread that's already on that exact same topic?

It would be a pretty boring message board if we had only one thread per game. Not to mention that one thread would be 24 pages long.

Maybe we should all submit threads to you for pre approval.

+1. I think when you have Joe, Andre, and Devoe scoring won't be an issue. Plus, hoperfully Rodney keeps up being aggressive, as he has shown glimpses of these last few games, I like Oto coming in next year. I am only nervous about the lack of a "true" PG, hopefully someone can step up and do that.

1) Is Rodney leaving early for the NBDL or the Swedish league? To talk about him as a 2011 lottery pick because he can jump is an embarrassment to scouts everywhere. He must frustrate the heck out of Tubby.

Rodney nor Tubby are responsible for the hype people want to give him in the NBA. Tubby has said many times it is not realistic, I believe Rodney knows it at this point as well.

That said, all he can do is jump? Would you please explain why red-haired kid didn't play, at all really, after the first 10 minutes? Could it be because Rodney got to the hoop EVERY time he tried to defend him? Rodney seemed to get nervous out there in a close game on the road, which you don't like to see, but he will learn from it, he played well against UNC in the closing minutes.

He is not strictly a jumper and has shown moments of being a very quality player. A badger fan posted earlier that as a freshman Taylor was a terrible shooter and didn't do much, but worked hard and got where he is today. Same could go for Rodney, he's got time. He is not going pro this year, and it wasn't him, gopher fans, or anyone else affiliated with the organization who said he was.

Does every person need to open, read and respond to said links that they apparently disagree with?

Did I say 1 thread per game? Please explain the point of over 2 people starting a thread about what they thought of the game? Would it not make more sense to post your take on a thread that's already on that exact same topic?

Perhaps you start your own exclusive web forum for clearly level headed, even handed, judicious and like minded people?

Just curious as to why you felt it would be better to start your own thread about your thoughts on the game. Would it not make sense to post your thoughts in the 5 millions other threads that are already talking about the same thing? My post wasn't supposed to be personal for you. It's just annoying that after each loss the same people who only post after losses come on here just to create their threads saying why we lost.

Does every person need to open, read and respond to said links that they apparently disagree with?

Tubby won NCAA title in 1998 with leading scorer averaging 13 ppg.

Just curious as to why you felt it would be better to start your own thread about your thoughts on the game. Would it not make sense to post your thoughts in the 5 millions other threads that are already talking about the same thing? My post wasn't supposed to be personal for you. It's just annoying that after each loss the same people who only post after losses come on here just to create their threads saying why we lost.

Am I same people? Sure seems personal about me. Now about you: Why do you open the other 4,999,999 threads? Is it because thethread along with the rest get waylaid by nonsense like this? Don't like it then don't open and certainly don't comment. Perhaps I'd suggest you come up with your official list of the "same" people and block their posts. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

The best post on this subject. Thank you. This is the most undiciplined team that I have seen under Tubby. I even saw Al Nolen saying someting during the timeout while Tubby was giving instructions. Al and Devoe need to calm down. I saw the coaches go crazy after that poor shot by Devoe. To win big10, this team needs to play with dicipline. Wisky team has very little talent but so much of dicipline. We'll finish ahead of them by the end of the season though.

Go Gophers

Notice that I purposely didn't quote you in my original comment. Also notice that I said that it wasn't directed at you and that it was directed at all the people who create their own threads after losses to say why we lost and bash players. Your thread just happened to be the last one that I read. I open them because I'm curious to know what they say, I just don't see the point of them making their own thread when they can put their thoughts where everyone else does. I'm not sure why that's so difficult for you to understand. Apparently you're really defensive about anything that's said in a thread that you create, even if it's not directed at you.

Am I same people? Sure seems personal about me. Now about you: Why do you open the other 4,999,999 threads? Is it because thethread along with the rest get waylaid by nonsense like this? Don't like it then don't open and certainly don't comment. Perhaps I'd suggest you come up with your official list of the "same" people and block their posts. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Top Bottom