I'll ask again...

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
...what did Tubby not like about Taylor coming out of high school? You gotta wrap up the state's Mr. basketball. No excuses.

...what did Tubby not like about Taylor coming out of high school? You gotta wrap up the state's Mr. basketball. No excuses.

He was offered by MN (according to scout) couldn't tell you what happened (just chose WI, out of scholarships, i don't know.)

Taylor was already committed to the Badgers... Keep starting threads.

Could be wrong here, but I'm thinking the fact that he had committed to another school might be part of it....

Maroon: you have your answer, and your OP was totally out of line, showing that you did not do your own homework. No excuses.

When Taylor was a youngster (Soph/early Junior?) he went to the Badger staff and asked them "What do I need to do to get an offer from UW and play for the Badgers?" UW coaches were salivating at his personal make-up, hoping that that he would grow into a player worthy of a Big 10 scholarship. I'd say he has done that.

According to Johnnygopher after Tubby got the job he looked at Taylor and decided he didn't want to try to pursue him. Johnny said he doesn't know why. I will never understand it. But the primary recruiting miss is definitely on Monson.

Berggren is going to be a very good player too but with Sampson and Iverson and Walker and maybe Eliason the Gophers are well stocked with talented big men for a long time.

Tubby didn't pursue him because it's the honorable thing to do. He's a classy guy. It's an unwritten rule in college hoops to not pursue players who are committed to other programs. Now, when a guy decommits, it's a different thing, like we saw with many teams getting involved with Vander Blue after he decommitted from Wisconsin and later picked Marquette.

Tubby not pursuing Taylor isn't a black eye on him, or Taylor. He did what a good guy does.

All that said, I think Minnesota is a Big Ten contender and deep NCAA type team with Taylor instead of Nolen.

lets face the facts, the Monson era at Minnesota is not over until all those guys from the class of 2006,07 graduate. We are sufferring still. It is clear that some of those guys fit Bo Ryans style .Bo R does a great job of coaching his players up a level. His style and system has for years produced teams that over achieve. It is unclear and unknown that they would be as dominant in Tubby's system of play.

Agree. Should be our goal to get the best and one of the other five best players from in state every year. Can you imagine the Gophers this year with Taylor and Leuer in the lineup? Oh my!

Troll. Think about this, 3 of WI's starters tonight were from MN under the DM regime. The door is now closed, WI wont have such regular success recruiting here. I'd say that will be a problem for Bo going forward.

Taylor committed before Tubby Time.. and committed quite early... he was not the guy he is today. Yes, he did come from a phenomenal high school that produces greatness regularly in various professions, but as a sophomore (and thereafter) didn't project as well as he has performed. The kid has worked. Strong character and work ethic can get you places.

The only lesson here is that Benilde St-Margaret's has a lot of great kids. If you want to look at a few of them closer this HS season and next spring/summer, please do.

Berggren looked really good why didnt tubby go after him?

Tubby did , but bergeron had committed to sconnie but was too stupid to change his mind. The whole family has an IQ of a family living in the hills of west va.

I'm so sick of the excuses for Tubby and his lackluster recruiting. Mediocre coach and mediocre performance once again.

Tubby did , but bergeron had committed to sconnie but was too stupid to change his mind. The whole family has an IQ of a family living in the hills of west va.

You should never type on here again.

Jared is a an absolutely great guy. Super nice and down to earth.

I hate WI as much as the next person (probably more) but these great MN kids they have on the men's basketball team is making it tough to hate on the that team as much as I usually do...ONLY the mens bball team though haha

You're right. We shouldn't make excuses for Tubby not getting Leuer or Taylor. He should've been recruiting them while at Kentucky with the intention of coming to MN and offering them.

I'm so sick of the excuses for Tubby and his lackluster recruiting. Mediocre coach and mediocre performance once again.

Berggren looked really good why didnt tubby go after him?

Saw Berggren in high school a couple of times, and I can see why Tubby didn't go hard after him. Obviously big, but not that intense or strong and didn't show any real offensive game although he scored. Couldn't believe how good he looked last night.

You could say the same for all these Minn kids. Leuer was a project as well. It's almost as if Bo actually develops talent?!

You stay classy.

You could say the same for all these Minn kids. Leuer was a project as well. It's almost as if Bo actually develops talent?!

So your saying that Tubby hasn't developed any talent at Minnesota? DJ, Nolen, and Hoffarber are just a few that come to mind that were Monson recruits who got better under Tubby.

How did this thread get so long? All 3 players being discussed were Wisconsin commits before Tubby even got to Minnesota. I don't believe Tubby has lost a single in state kid since taking the job. I guess you could argue Sam Dower, but he wasn't a priority guy.

I wonder the same thing. He's had his pick of MN talent. I wish we had more room for that '09 class. So much MN talent that year.

How did this thread get so long? All 3 players being discussed were Wisconsin commits before Tubby even got to Minnesota. I don't believe Tubby has lost a single in state kid since taking the job. I guess you could argue Sam Dower, but he wasn't a priority guy.

Top Bottom