Why We Lost

UofM Fan

Reaction score
Here is my take on why we lost:

1. Mbakwe Foul Trouble: His two fouls on the first half that made him sit were completely avoidable. For us to win he has to play as many minutes as possible.

2. Wasted Possessions: Even though Devoe had a better game offensively we still settle for too many possessions where he dribbles the shot clock down and take tought shots. Those are just wasted possessions. Especially when you have bigs crushing the boards and one of the best 3 point shooters in the country. DRIVE THE BALL AND SHOOT IT OR DISH IT!!!

3. Perimeter Defense: For whatever reason we can get this figured out. Taylor torched us in the first and then in the second we had the wide open shooters again. This should not happen with our athletes.

4. Foul Shooting. Could have been a different story had Ralph made 3 of 4 vs. 2 of 4 down the stretch. We are never going to be a great team from the line but we need to improve.

Disappointing loss but we still didn't play very well at all. Hurts a lot coming against Wisky especially since I'm sitting in the inlaws living room in wisconsin!

u of m

1. Mbakwe Foul Trouble: His two fouls on the first half that made him sit were completely avoidable. For us to win he has to play as many minutes as possible.

2. Wasted Possessions: Even though Devoe had a better game offensively we still settle for too many possessions where he dribbles the shot clock down and take tought shots. Those are just wasted possessions. Especially when you have bigs crushing the boards and one of the best 3 point shooters in the country. DRIVE THE BALL AND SHOOT IT OR DISH IT!!!

3. Perimeter Defense: For whatever reason we can get this figured out. Taylor torched us in the first and then in the second we had the wide open shooters again. This should not happen with our athletes.

4. Foul Shooting. Could have been a different story had Ralph made 3 of 4 vs. 2 of 4 down the stretch. We are never going to be a great team from the line but we need to improve.

Disappointing loss but we still didn't play very well at all. Hurts a lot coming against Wisky especially since I'm sitting in the inlaws living room in wisconsin!

1. Mbakwe played 29 minutes. We were only down by 4 at the half.
2. Joseph is killing me.
3. Our guys get stuck on screens, lost, or busy helping someone else. Bang, an open three.
4. Our free throw shooting did improve tonight. 73% and Trevor was 5 of 6. Yes, Ralph did not step up at the end but he did have a decent game.

Bucky had some pretty good numbers in 2 turnovers and 17 of 18 from the line. So it goes. I bet we don't see anyone do that against us the rest of the season.

Box Score: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore;_ylt=Ar0SnrAn6x7DcItEbCyIBWTevbYF?gid=201012280657

Heck of a game. If you guys play like that all year you will win a lot more than you lose. I've rarely seen UW get hammered on the boards like tonight. If we don't shoot like that from the line this game isn't that close in your favor, or if Hoffarber/Nolen is guarding Taylor during the last 10 minutes of the first half. I'm glad we won't be visiting the barn this year.

Well done for your boys Parabadger. :)

Always fun to watch a good game.

Not to start a fight but we got you on the boards by 13 last year to.

THE GOPHERS STRUGGLE WITH A HALF-COURT GAME. IT'S BEEN TUBBY'S BIGGEST ISSUE FOR MANY YEARS.
I've said this since he got here. He's a terrific person and does a great job teaching players to do the right thing.
But the style of play in the Big Ten is not suited to his coaching style. He will win some big games on occasion, but consistency will always be a problem.

Did you watch the game? Does our team even know how to run a pick and roll? No!
Trevor needs to be fed the pill when he sets the pick!
Learn from Wisc!
We have no half court offense.

Did you watch the game? Does our team even know how to run a pick and roll? No!
Trevor needs to be fed the pill when he sets the pick!
Learn from Wisc!
We have no half court offense.

There is a good point here. The half-court sets are disorganized and usually produce a forced run at the basket or a contested jump shot.

Is it just me, or does Blake seem ineffective in the half-court offense.....alot of standing around on the perimeter.

Good analysis. To it, I'd add: when something is working well, e.g. feeding the low post or a cutting forward, do it until the defense stops it. We go away from what works too quickly -- seems to happen when Joseph enters the game.

Yes, you're wrong.
Agreed.

Out of everyone, he seems to have the best semblance of what Tubby wants run out there (evidenced by really never being in the wrong spot, making the right post-entry, reversal, cross court pass, alley-oop, etc.).

However, with a high-low offense that Tubby runs, there really isn't anywhere for the guards/wings to go. They can't swing through because it will clog the post.

Our offense from the guard's perspective is pretty tough cut nearly anywhere unless they're setting a wing-post screen, coming off of a post screen, or running the pick in roll.

Good post except for point number 2. Wasted possessions don't mean a thing. Just ask GoGoGophers. Just get the ball, jack up a shot and if you miss, just get the ball back and shoot it again. Turn the ball over, miss, does not matter. Just do it fast. Oh yeah, and look pretty doing it.

Why exactly did Joseph kill you tonight? I ask because I usually tend to agree with most of the stuff you say. He had a few what are you doing shots but those were balanced out by great plays. What do you mean Ralph didn't step up at the end? He's the only one who did anything at the end offensively.

1. Mbakwe played 29 minutes. We were only down by 4 at the half.
2. Joseph is killing me.
3. Our guys get stuck on screens, lost, or busy helping someone else. Bang, an open three.
4. Our free throw shooting did improve tonight. 73% and Trevor was 5 of 6. Yes, Ralph did not step up at the end but he did have a decent game.

Bucky had some pretty good numbers in 2 turnovers and 17 of 18 from the line. So it goes. I bet we don't see anyone do that against us the rest of the season.

Box Score: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore;_ylt=Ar0SnrAn6x7DcItEbCyIBWTevbYF?gid=201012280657

How many FG attempts did Trevor have? I don't know what the number was, but I can already tell you it wasn't nearly enough.

How many FG attempts did Devoe have? I don't know what the number was, but I can already tell you it was too many.

Joseph shot 46% from the field tonight as a guard. That's not bad. 14 points, 4 rebounds, seven (eight) assists and one turnover in 21 minutes. You should be able to live with that. He's not the reason Minnesota lost that game.

Why exactly did Joseph kill you tonight? I ask because I usually tend to agree with most of the stuff you say. He had a few what are you doing shots but those were balanced out by great plays. What do you mean Ralph didn't step up at the end? He's the only one who did anything at the end offensively.

We came out of a timeout with a set play. Devoe totally ignored the instructions and went for a 3. He even missed the basket with that shot. I thought Tubby was going to kill him. Bad shot selections like this cost games.

Go Gophers

We lost with a T-Wolve like finish! The last two minutes killed us. CAN NOT give up three balls. Play tough defense at the end and the offense will take of itself!

I don't get the Joseph-hate on this board. "...too many possessions where he dribbles the shot clock down" is a Nolen trademark, not Joseph. At least when it happens with Joseph, there's still a chance he can create his own shot. Joseph played a pretty good game last night, Nolen played a pretty bad one. Neither should be a primary point guard on a team that expects to play at a high level, but blaming Joseph for last night's loss is incredibly unperceptive.

As to 'why we lost,' I'd put the blame on Tubby's refusal, or inability, to recruit the point guard his team has needed since he got here. They have the bigs to play with anyone.

First off it's not hate.

What I don't get is the Joseph-apologists that crowned him as our most important player after two mediocre, very inconsistence seasons.

Not hate? Something very close then.

Nolen was pretty bad last night, but people here want to blame Joseph. THAT's what I don't get.

Not hate? Something very close then.

Nolen was pretty bad last night, but people here want to blame Joseph. THAT's what I don't get.

I honestly don't hate any of our players including Devoe. What kills me is when he tries to do too much. He is a very good player but needs to work within the system. That play that I mentioned could have won the game if it was done as directed.

Go Devoe and the rest of the Gophers

Here's my take on the lose.

We had to play the game in Madison.
They have a point guard that can shoot.
They have at least 3 big guys take can shoot the 3.
They shot and made more free throws than we did.
We don't have a interior player that can score from beyond 8 feet.

I think we just struggled offensively mainly because W plays tough defense and made it very difficult to get open shots and pass the ball around. We do need a go to scorer in the paint. Mbakwe should be fed the ball in the post constantly and he needs to be posting people up. We very seldom post anybody up. Most of the times there was a player shooting or a ball in the air the hands were everywhere so it was a very physical game and I think at this point W is tougher than us. They also have some very strong senior leadership at the point and in the paint. Taylor is one of the best point guards in the big ten. I also don't think Joseph is the reason we lost. I saw plenty of other players take the quick shot so he is not alone. Joseph is one of our better shooters and players and deserves the oportunity to try a couple of quick ones. He quit doing that once he missed a couple but if he had been hot everyone would be saying how great he played. Big deal he missed a couple. In the end we needed his shooting but they weren't falling.

I honestly don't hate any of our players including Devoe. What kills me is when he tries to do too much. He is a very good player but needs to work within the system. That play that I mentioned could have won the game if it was done as directed.

Go Devoe and the rest of the Gophers

we are a weak half court team! we don't screen well, we don't back cut at all, if blake isn't dropping 3's early he just stands around and watches, devoe takes a ton of heat and I think its due to people who don't know what they're watching, sampson took too many deep jumpers, nolen didn't play well, rodney is just a non factor, tubby needs to start nolen, hoff, devoe, mbakwe, and sampson/iverson. we need al to drive and dish. devoe and blake are the only deep threats we have, we need them on the floor at the same time. and we need to feed the block-im sick of sampson trying to get the ball 15 ft away from the bucket!

my rant is over we are 11-2 and things could be worse, but since we are all disappointed minnesota sports fans we all go with the "dooms day" attitude! we are still good! Go Gophers

Tim Jarmusz and Keaton Nankevil combining to shoot 5-6 from 3-pt range was the difference. Everybody else pretty much did as expected. Those guys hitting those extra 2-3 threes than they normally would percentage-wise put Becky over the top.

Top Bottom