Profoundly discouraging

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
That one is going to sting for quite some time. Ouch...
Lets face it folks, Minnesota NEEDED to beat the badgers in order to sneak out of the first five games 2-3. Gotta love how Minnesota was beaten by Minnesota (Taylor and Leuer) too.

Actually, I was more encouraged with the way we played than discouraged. No, we didn't get the win, but we looked quite a bit better than we have the few weeks. Keep in mind, not even national champions Duke won at Kohl last year.

Many issues to address, but overall; I was happy with our effort, grit, etc. Just didn't play as smart as we needed to, and they hit every big shot that they needed to in order to win.

what a stupid post. its the end of the world because we lost in a place that barely anyone can win.

No it is not the end of the world, but I am sick of underachieveing teams and this one has UNDERACHIEVING written all over it. They have played crap defense for a month and now they are going to turn on a good effort and execute in the conference? I am a Tubby fan, but so far this is his least impressive coaching job by a lot. I really am very disappointed with the guard play, and the overall effort of the team.

Considering most gopher fans on here had Minnesota winning, I would count this as discouraging.

Actually, I was more encouraged with the way we played than discouraged. No, we didn't get the win, but we looked quite a bit better than we have the few weeks. Keep in mind, not even national champions Duke won at Kohl last year.

Many issues to address, but overall; I was happy with our effort, grit, etc. Just didn't play as smart as we needed to, and they hit every big shot that they needed to in order to win.

Me too, I saw everything I was hoping to see except a win. Better defense- even though they got hot from the 3pt line in the second half. Really good effort over all. We will take some lumps early but we will be fine.

Great game from Al. 0-7 from the field while his counterpart Taylor had 20 something. Way to show that senior leadership.

I agree MaroonGopher when I looked at the predict the scores I was wowed but just chalked it up to homerism. But now we are going to get people essentially talking of moral victories which I am sick of. If we go out and lose by 3 at Mich St and we play them tough and we will be 2-0 in moral victories yet when that Sunday in March roles around they are still 2 loses and we will be a double digit seed.

Great game from Al. 0-7 from the field while his counterpart Taylor had 20 something. Way to show that senior leadership.

Nolen is the only reason you were in the game. Were you watching the last 10 minutes of the first half when he was on the bench in foul trouble? Taylor may have scored 40 if Joseph had to guard him all game. Hoffarber may not be your most talented player, but he is your best player. Consistent on both ends of the floor and has even developed an offensive game that isn't shooting 25 foot bombs (which he may be the best in the country at).

Nolen is the only reason you were in the game. Were you watching the last 10 minutes of the first half when he was on the bench in foul trouble? Taylor may have scored 40 if Joseph had to guard him all game. Hoffarber may not be your most talented player, but he is your best player. Consistent on both ends of the floor and has even developed an offensive game that isn't shooting 25 foot bombs (which he may be the best in the country at).

Wrong, try again.....

On another note, I don't get all the hand wringing going on here. The Gophers had every opportunity to win this game and just fell short. It's going to happen. Better that it happen on the road against a team that almost never loses at home. Personally, I like the way this team played tonight. They played hard and even against a pretty decent opponent. If we play with kind of intensity the rest of the way, we'll be fine.

Last year we struggled in close games in the Big Ten and we are now 0-1. We were 4-6 in games decided by 8 points or less.

Last year we struggled in close games in the Big Ten and we are now 0-1. We were 4-6 in games decided by 8 points or less.

Better to blow out than to be blown out, or am I missing something?

Maybe these advances statistics are too advanced for my pea-brain.

Don't think winning blow outs does much for you in March. Of course then you can say that struggling in the non-conf was helpful.

Wrong, try again.....

On another note, I don't get all the hand wringing going on here. The Gophers had every opportunity to win this game and just fell short. It's going to happen. Better that it happen on the road against a team that almost never loses at home. Personally, I like the way this team played tonight. They played hard and even against a pretty decent opponent. If we play with kind of intensity the rest of the way, we'll be fine.

What is he wrong about?

We lost because we got the lead and gave up 2 trhress in a row - the last one with Ralph not getting the guy's face at all. Defense wins games at the end....

tubby disappeared! he was out coached! Blake should have had more plays set up for him.
What happened to Rodney? Great start and then...

We got outscored. That is how you lose. That has to stop. Ice cold Devoe Joseph is as good as me playing point guard.

No it is not the end of the world, but I am sick of underachieveing teams and this one has UNDERACHIEVING written all over it. They have played crap defense for a month and now they are going to turn on a good effort and execute in the conference? I am a Tubby fan, but so far this is his least impressive coaching job by a lot. I really am very disappointed with the guard play, and the overall effort of the team.

I hope you are not standing too close to the ledge. Last I checked there are 17 games left.

Good lord. Here's a tip: The words 'close loss at the Kohl Center' and 'profoundly discouraging' never ever go together. Not for the Gophers. Not for MSU. Not even for OSU. If you've watched any Big 10 Basketball since the building opened 10+ years ago, you should be embarrassed for posting this.

Profoundly frustrating? OK. Profoundly discouraging? No chance.

That is all.

Pretty sure Al Nolen wasn't the only reason why we were in that game....

pretty sure if nolen got as many minutes as blake gophers would have won that game & taylor would not have 22 pts. Coaching lost that game period. Whoever said this team is underachieving was dead on.

pretty sure if nolen got as many minutes as blake gophers would have won that game & taylor would not have 22 pts. Coaching lost that game period. Whoever said this team is underachieving was dead on.

No.1, Agree to a certain point, but Al Nolen did not keep us in this game by himself.

No.2, Don't really have an opinion either way on the coaching side. To me, it came down to them making a couple more plays than we did. If that's coaching, than so be it.

No.3, I guess that if taking a quality conference opponent to the wire on the road constitutes underachieving, then we better just call it a season right now....

I agree MaroonGopher when I looked at the predict the scores I was wowed but just chalked it up to homerism. But now we are going to get people essentially talking of moral victories which I am sick of. If we go out and lose by 3 at Mich St and we play them tough and we will be 2-0 in moral victories yet when that Sunday in March roles around they are still 2 loses and we will be a double digit seed.

1) This is a Gophers website, what do you expect? I'm sure it was similar over at Wisconsin's.
2) On paper, this was supposed to be a close game. In that situation, most will side on their team.
3) This is our biggest rival.

No one is particularly happy with the results. Of course everyone wished we won. But it's not like we got blown out at Iowa or Penn St. We nearly beat a good team on the road where they are very, very tough.

I wouldn't be so sure about March at all. We'll have to win nine of seventeen Big Ten games now and that's not a certainty. I'd say it's likely, but unless we can improve our discipline on the court, we may not. Joseph continues to blast away like this year's Westbrook while the best three point shooter in the conference too seldom is fed a shot. We have three strong big men but quit pushing the ball inside after a couple of early tries. Williams is a mystery. Wisconsin has a nice team and deserved tonight's win -- but we can do better with this lineup. We need to learn from their discipline.

Well told.

We got outscored. That is how you lose. That has to stop. Ice cold Devoe Joseph is as good as me playing point guard.

You must be pretty good then. Have you tried getting a try-out with the team? If you can top those 7 assists Devoe had, and and 1's and finishes, well heck, get out there! Can you also make NBA three's with a defender right on you? I can't wait for this. Heard it here first, Tubby has found his new PG!

Top Bottom