Pre-game thoughts: Wisconsin 12/28/10

Reaction score
Twitter: bigjaybee

Note: Some of the information below may or may not be factual and I reserve to the right to drastically change my thoughts and/or any of the numbers for any reason.

#14/#13 Minnesota @ NR/#24 uw-madison, December 28, 2010

It’s been an exciting past ten days for uw-madison fans. The Public Ivy wrapped up another successful semester of preparing its youth for grown-up life. Time and time again I am impressed when I meet uw-madison grads while they are working in the real world. Whether it’s Joe (uw-madison ’98), the extraordinarily efficient check-out cashier at the grocery store, Jackie (uw-madison ’04), the always spunky barista who remembers my order at the coffee shop every single time, or Tim (uw-madison ’94), who has a certain ‘flair’ that seems to enable him to pick out the perfect bouquet of flowers every time I need help figuring out what to give a gal that I’m taking out on a date… it’s always the same – these folks are great at what they do. It’s no wonder Tim was promoted to morning shift co-manager this summer.

Not only are final exams now complete, but the badger faithful have been celebrating a big national championship thanks to their esteemed alumnus Booker Stanley. Sister school uw-whitewater captured another D3 football crown thanks in no small part to the contribution of this fine badger. A week of celebration by athletic director Barry Alvarez was topped off by a wonderful Christmas dinner on Saturday. I understand his son Chad cooked the bird.

Now, however, it’s back to business. That means uw-madison (10-2, NR AP/#24 Coaches) is getting ready to play host to the Minnesota Golden Gophers (11-1, #14/#13) at the Kohl Center, which is part athletic facility, part nursing home. Tipoff is scheduled for 6pm CT on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 [ESPN2]. We know our Gophers (although it’s important to note that Mo Walker is out for the game and Trevor Mbakwe, bothered recently by illness, is expected to be ready to go), so let’s spend a little time on uw-madison.

The Team

Their tempo is brutally slow, as always, but again they are extremely efficient. The Gophers have played only one game this year where the tempo dropped below 66 (West Virginia – 63), but this will surely be game number 2 of that variety. uw-madison’s losses have come at UNLV and against Notre Dame on a neutral court, while victories have included Boston College (neutral), vs. NC State and @Marquette.

The badgers have: Shot well (50.5 2FG% [D1 avg = 47.4%]; 38.2 3FG% [avg = 34.2]), taken care of the ball (TO% of 15.3%, one of the best in the nation… d1 avg is 21.0%.. to compare, the Gophers are at 20.7%; Becky's opponent steal % is just 7.8 - avg is 9.7%), done very well on the o-glass (39.8% OR% vs. D1 avg of 32.8% and slightly better than Gophers 39.4%).

The badgers have not: Gotten to the FT line (28.0% FTA/FGA.. D1 average is 37.9%.. the Gophers are at an impressive 49.6%), although when they get there they shoot it very well... bo's boys also have not turned the opposition over (19.9 TO% on defense… average is 21.0%... steal % of 7.0 is miserable (D1 avg = 9.7%)

Obviously getting certain badgers (i.e., Leuer and/or Taylor) into foul trouble could help us immensely… while we have been great at drawing fouls, the guys you’d most like to see hack us for uw-madison have been doing a solid job of not fouling most nights, even adjusting for their disgusting style of play (Leuer 2.2 Fouls called/40 mins, 2.4 for Jordan Taylor, 2.2 for Nankivil, etc)

Minnesota’s opponents have scored 38.5% of their points from behind the arc this season… average in D1 is about 27-28%. About 35% of uw-madison’s points have come from three-point land this season… they will be letting it fly from deep.

Obvious things we need to do:

+ Cherish our possessions / take care of the ball. The badgers have not stolen the ball much – keep it that way.

+ Rebound - not only has uw-madison been as strong, as or slightly better than us on the offensive glass, their defensive rebounding has been very good as well (much better than ours). Show we can be the better rebounding team.

+ Please!! Cut down on the uncontested shots when on defense – there are several guys that can knock it down if left open. Only three times this season has uw-madison shot less than 45% from the field – two of those were losses.

+ Don’t start off so miserably slow. Especially against this team. The badgers are shooting 43% from 2FG and 34% from 3FG in the first half this year.. but in the second half, those numbers jump to 48% and 43%.

A hot shooting night from a Gopher could be enough to push this one in our favor, but my pick is… uw-madison by 4.

With the tough start to the conference schedule Minnesota has, a victory here would be wonderful. But, we can withstand a loss. Like us, the beginning of uw-madison’s Big 10/11/12 season doesn’t start off pleasantly either – after Minnesota, games 2 and 4 are at Illinois and at Michigan State, respectively.

The Players

#30 Jon Leuer
Leuer is legit. The 6’10” senior from Minnesota has followed up a good junior campaign with 19.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, and 1.8 bpg in about 32 mpg. This season, he’s shooting many more treys and converting them at a significantly higher rate as well. Last year 67% of his points were from 2FG range, with less than 15% coming from 3FG. This year he’s at 46% and 38%, respectively, and has drained 30 of 60 three-pointers (that is 50% for any uw-madison readers out there – and much better than his 39% and 30% during the past two seasons). Leuer’s shot attempts will reach double-figures and he will score in double figures. Only Jordan Taylor and Leuer average more than 8 ppg. Minimize good shots for him and then hope for the best. He’s shot less than 43.8% in a game only twice this year – both losses. Constantly triple team him with Ralph, Rodney and Mbakwe and we should be just fine. PS – Leuer will reach the 1,000 career point mark Tuesday (needs 7)

#11 Jordan Taylor

Another Minnesotan, Mr. Taylor is a product of the best high school in the state, likely the country, and perhaps the world. Physically he is a solid young man who stands about 6’1” and has become a steady, well rounded point guard. I wish Jordan the best even though his current school and team are insufferable. He’s playing big minutes (nearly 34 mpg) and has responded by chipping in 15.4 ppg, 4.8 apg, and 4.3 rpg (less than 1 spg, though). He’s not shooting a ton more from deep like Leuer is this season, but his 3FG% has seen nice improvement (41% this year… vs. 33% and 19% in his first two seasons). Another efficient guy, doesn’t turn the ball over, has become a leader.

#52 Keaton Nankivil
Hey look at this! A Madison Memorial kid that went to uw-madison. Keaton is a 6’8” senior forward who is nothing special, but he does have a nice wingspan. Just a guy. On any given night he is capable of reaching double digits in the scoring column, but doesn’t do so with regularity. In 22 mpg, he’s averaging 7.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, and 1.5 bpg. Does he get time on Mbakwe when the Gophers have the ball? Offensively he’s another efficient dork – doesn’t do so very often, but is capable of stepping back for three (10/24 for 42% this season, but 6 of those makes are from 2 games.. he’s just 4/16 or 25% in games other than those 2). It’s time to get physical with this kid, let him know we want the ball more. Keep him off the offensive glass, where he is very capable.

#31 Mike Bruesewitz (BREW-za-wits)
Is this kid joking with that hair? Unreal. Mike is a 6’6” kid who has gotten a lot of opportunity here in his sophomore year. Another one out of Minnesota, he’s clocking in about 23 mpg, while averaging 5.9 ppg and 3.6 rpg. Doesn’t get used a lot; he’s shot 27 times from 2FG (59%) and 24 times from 3FG (42%). Thinks he’s tougher than he is and a lesson should be taught by our bigs when he tries to stick his nose in the paint.

#21 Josh Gasser (GAH-sir)
6’3” freshman from Wisconsin… originally was looking at a 4 for 5 offer with year one being a walk-on year, but the poor criminal skills of a pair of uw-madison players last year worked in his favor. He’s playing a lot more than I thought he would – 26.6 mpg. But, when so much of your roster is non-descript, I suppose, ‘why not?’ Averaging 6.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.3 apg, he’s been another guy they can put on the floor that usually won’t royally screw up. His debut was a 21 point, 9 rebound performance (5/8 shooting including 2/4 3FG, 9/10 FT) against Prairie View A&M and Becky fell in love. Since then, he’s shot 37.5% from the field while converting just 16% of his three-point shots. Every now and then he’ll have a possession where he looks pretty decent, but his confidence has to be down from where it was several weeks ago. I’m not impressed, but he may turn out being a little better than I would have thought a few months ago.

#40 Jared Berggren
6’10” RS sophomore oaf from Minnesota. He’ll probably play about 10 minutes and not do much. Good size and is another big fella that can actually drop in a trey if left open (5/10 on the year). I could actually see him knocking in a few shots against us. Jared’s areas of specialty include turning the ball over and fouling the other team.

Others I will mention…
You’ll see #24 6’6 senior Tim Jarmusz out there. He’s not good.
#5 6’6 sophomore Ryan Evans has been struggling mightily from the field – unless he fully regrows the high top fade by Tuesday night, I’d let the kid shoot. 29.1% from the field this year. Just brutal. But, he is a solid defensive rebounder.
6’4” junior #33 Rob Wilson has had the injury bug and is averaging less than 8 mpg in 10 games; however, I could see him getting a chance to see what he can do in certain matchups defensively and may get double-digit minutes.
#1 Ben Brust is a 6’1” point guard who originally was committed to Iowa. After initially being shutout, uw-madison caused more of a scene than Aubrey Seiler and was finally allowed to pursue the quitter. Brust has played sparingly (less than 4 mpg in 10 games).
Freshman #13 Duje Dukan is 6’8” and looked a lot more promising before the season started. He’s done absolutely nothing this year and that should not change Tuesday night.
#2 Wquinton Smith has an interesting name. That’s about it.

----------------
Quick look at P-5 scores for certain of the players to see who may fill up the statsheet... (pts + reb + [ast x 2] + stl + blk - TO) / Mins Played.. PS - I just quickly calculated these manually.. risk of a bad calc is relatively high...

uw-madison
Leuer 1.01
Taylor .86
Berggren .73
Nankivil .68
Wilson .68
Evans .63
Gasser .56
Bruesewitz .50
Jarmusz .43

Minnesota
Mbakwe .92
Walker .86
Sampson .83
Hoffarber .82
Iverson .82
Joseph .73
Armelin .66
Nolen .65
Williams .61
Hollins .54
Ahanmisi .47

Mr. Taylor is a product of the best high school in the state,

No, he did not attend Hopkins.

A hot shooting night from a Gopher could be enough to push this one in our favor, but my pick is… uw-madison by 4.

I agree this will be a very tough game to win. A missed FT could be the difference.

What do the scores look like when you make them tempo-free?

Twitter: bigjaybee

----------------
Quick look at P-5 scores for certain of the players to see who may fill up the statsheet... (pts + reb + [ast x 2] + stl + blk - TO) / Mins Played.. PS - I just quickly calculated these manually.. risk of a bad calc is relatively high...

uw-madison
Leuer 1.01
Taylor .86
Berggren .73
Nankivil .68
Wilson .68
Evans .63
Gasser .56
Bruesewitz .50
Jarmusz .43

Minnesota
Mbakwe .92
Walker .86
Sampson .83
Hoffarber .82
Iverson .82
Joseph .73
Armelin .66
Nolen .65
Williams .61
Hollins .54
Ahanmisi .47

Nice writeup.

I'm asking this honestly for Badger fans on our board, or anyone that knows some diehards; what do WI fans think about their basketball tempo?

I know, I know, they're very successful, they win basketball games 54-50, but do any WI fans believe they are tougher to watch/enjoy because they are probably the most boring team to watch in NCAA basketball?

Don't get me wrong, you can't argue with Bo's success & methods, but even with the winning...watching that style of ball day in and day out would start to wear on even the most die hard fans IMO?

Nice writeup.

I'm asking this honestly for Badger fans on our board, or anyone that knows some diehards; what do WI fans think about their basketball tempo?

I know, I know, they're very successful, they win basketball games 54-50, but do any WI fans believe they are tougher to watch/enjoy because they are probably the most boring team to watch in NCAA basketball?

Don't get me wrong, you can't argue with Bo's success & methods, but even with the winning...watching that style of ball day in and day out would start to wear on even the most die hard fans IMO?

Ha!

Wisconsin's style of play has no doubt hurt their perception and following in the state among casual basketball fans (the vast majority). Among die-hards like me, I think it has had the exact opposite affect. I love it. They are cold blooded, efficient machines on both ends of the floor. Watching the emotional roller-coasters of Minnesota, MSU, and Illinois, how can one not appreciate the way the Badgers play? Look at the frustration and gnashing of teeth of Gopher fans, Illini fans and MSU fans (albeit rarely in March) the past 10 years. Those teams have lost SO MANY games that their talent level and athleticism shouldn't lose, and a lot of that is because of style of play. When the Badgers lose, it is usually because the other team played great and the Badgers just missed shots. To be able to say that in college basketball is amazing. I see so many other fans of college basketball shaking their heads and frustrated with their team and I am thankful that I pretty much never have those emotions about my team. When your worst teams still win games in the NCAA tourney, it is pretty sweet.

The fact of the matter is that good, smart, basketball is boring to the observer that doesn't have a vested interest in the game. When you try to play aggressive defense and push the ball when it shouldn't be pushed, you make mistakes and lose more often than you should. I see bad-shots, turnovers, poor defensive rotations, guys constantly out of position on both ends of the floor, and just overall poor fundamentals and it just hurts my eyes. THAT is ugly basketball.

I can understand why casual fans and fans from other teams would call it boring--but terms like "ugly," "disgusting," "it's not pretty," are just ridiculous. My favorite is when people call out UW for not being able to score enough. It's especially rich when it comes from an "analyst" like Hubert Davis.

Addendum: Very entertaining write-up by the OP! My compliments. Pot-shots aside, it was a decent preview as well. I'm not sure where you got the P-5 player rating measure, but it is very misleading and useless at best. Any statistical measure that doesn't even take missed FG into it's equation has no merit whatsoever.

Usually, not making shots is an indication that a team did not play well, at least in one important facet of the game.

Time and again over the years, teams have been able to beat the red by speeding up the game (UNLV comes to mind). If the Gophers can dominate the boards and speed up the game, they have a good shot at breaking serve in game #1.

What you call "efficiency" can actually bite you when you don't get enough possessions when the shots are not falling. I am not bowing down in adoration to Bo Ball just yet.

because it is called "efficiency"?

No it's not. The P-5 (Potential Point Production & Prevention Profile) score devised by collegehoops.net (I think) does not claim at being a measure of efficiency. It is simply one statistical measure to evaluate players based on points. You know, what ends up deciding the winner and loser of a basketball game. I don't recall efficiency calculations at the final horn determining anything.

Obviously, it can't be the best measure as it doesn't shine favorably on disciples of Bo Ball or paint the Badgers as the offensive juggernaut that they are. Therefore, it's a ridiculous metric to use.

Damn you, Gopher Warrior!!!1111!

Good stuff. Wisky is hard to watch but the fact of the matter is that you can't argue with results, and they are extremely tough at home. I'm looking forward to the game, and think we have a 40% chance of winning, but realistically a close loss is the mostly likely outcome for our squad.

Usually, not making shots is an indication that a team did not play well, at least in one important facet of the game.

Time and again over the years, teams have been able to beat the red by speeding up the game (UNLV comes to mind). If the Gophers can dominate the boards and speed up the game, they have a good shot at breaking serve in game #1.

What you call "efficiency" can actually bite you when you don't get enough possessions when the shots are not falling. I am not bowing down in adoration to Bo Ball just yet.

Not making shots is only an indication that a team did not play well if the reason they missed shots is because they took bad shots--i.e. shots they weren't likely to make. It is about the decision making process, not the end result. UW almost always makes good decisions and takes good shots throughout the game, thus they "play well" whether the ball goes in the hoop or not.

Your second statement about teams speeding up the game is just false. Nobody remembers all of the games that the Badgers have beaten up-tempo teams over the years--they only remember the games they lose, then try to conveniently use tempo as the reason. Every team loses games. Some to fast teams, some to slow teams, but tempo is never the reason a team loses.

No, what I call "efficiency" can never bite you. If your shots aren't falling, you need to make up for that with rebounding, foul shooting, minimizing turnovers, and great defense. You don't make up for it by trying to pick up the pace chucking up bad shots early in the shot clock. That is exactly what you DON'T do. If you try it against UW, you may end up like NC St did a couple weeks ago. Traditionally, UW excels in all of those other categories besides shooting, although they have struggled to get to the line in recent years (especially this year).

No it's not. The P-5 (Potential Point Production & Prevention Profile) score devised by collegehoops.net (I think) does not claim at being a measure of efficiency. It is simply one statistical measure to evaluate players based on points. You know, what ends up deciding the winner and loser of a basketball game. I don't recall efficiency calculations at the final horn determining anything.

Obviously, it can't be the best measure as it doesn't shine favorably on disciples of Bo Ball or paint the Badgers as the offensive juggernaut that they are. Therefore, it's a ridiculous metric to use.

Damn you, Gopher Warrior!!!1111!

Not quite. It is impossible to win a game and lose the efficiency battle. Basketball is not a shooting contest where you see who can make the most total shots in 48 minutes, regardless of misses. It is about maximizing scoring when you have the ball in 35 second increments. That is how you win, period.

Addendum: Very entertaining write-up by the OP! My compliments. Pot-shots aside, it was a decent preview as well. I'm not sure where you got the P-5 player rating measure, but it is very misleading and useless at best. Any statistical measure that doesn't even take missed FG into it's equation has no merit whatsoever.

Sorry about the 'pot-shots'. I had to throw in something after the latest yapping from Becky about Reggie Smith.

As for P-5 scores - to be clear, while I don't think it 'has not merit whatsoever', taken alone it may not mean a lot. Just something to look at from time to time for kicks. Like I said, the look at the P-5 scores was just "to see who may fill up the statsheet"..

I do think in this case it may provide this view of the two teams: for uw-madison, there aren't a lot of players that do much in terms of creating marks on the scoresheet... but does exemplify the impact Leuer and Taylor have relative to their teammates... for the Gophers, there are a number of players who can put figures up in the various columns on any given night. You can figure this out by viewing a ton of other statistics and metrics, of course...

SGL - many uw-madison fans embrace their brand of basketball and like to criticize the 'thugs', 'tons of JUCOs', and 'streetballers' that some other teams have. It can get pretty sickening.

Not making shots is only an indication that a team did not play well if the reason they missed shots is because they took bad shots--i.e. shots they weren't likely to make. It is about the decision making process, not the end result. UW almost always makes good decisions and takes good shots throughout the game, thus they "play well" whether the ball goes in the hoop or not.

Your second statement about teams speeding up the game is just false. Nobody remembers all of the games that the Badgers have beaten up-tempo teams over the years--they only remember the games they lose, then try to conveniently use tempo as the reason. Every team loses games. Some to fast teams, some to slow teams, but tempo is never the reason a team loses.

No, what I call "efficiency" can never bite you. If your shots aren't falling, you need to make up for that with rebounding, foul shooting, minimizing turnovers, and great defense. You don't make up for it by trying to pick up the pace chucking up bad shots early in the shot clock. That is exactly what you DON'T do. If you try it against UW, you may end up like NC St did a couple weeks ago. Traditionally, UW excels in all of those other categories besides shooting, although they have struggled to get to the line in recent years (especially this year).

How would you game plan against the Badgers? They seem to be an unstoppable force/immovable object.

How would you game plan against the Badgers? They seem to be an unstoppable force/immovable object.

If you have a team that is patient and isn't rattled very easily, the Badgers are very beatable. You just need to play well. Out-Badger the Badgers. Wisconsin is very skilled and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but they certainly don't have an abundance of outstanding athletes for a BCS team. Make Taylor beat you from the perimeter and make Leuer put the ball on the deck, providing good early help. With the Gophers length, UW will likely be bombing from outside a lot. Challenge shooters but don't play dumb (fouling jump shooters/leaving your feet). Pressure everybody on the perimeter except for Taylor--make him knock down shots from our there, good things happen for UW when he gets in the paint. Nobody else is going to scare you with the dribble except Leuer- who is a match-up nightmare for every team in the country.

Good humor - sent it to a few friends that graduated from U of W ... waiting their replies.

ParaBadger=Butthead.

I'm 45 years old. Shouldn't this type of sophomoric name calling be beneath me?

Not quite. It is impossible to win a game and lose the efficiency battle.

This statement highlights the major flaw with trying to use efficiency statistics as a foward looking measure of success. Efficiency % is great when analyzing past results (why X beat Y, etc.) but is not a great predictor due to the number of variables that change with each indiviual match-up/game. The Badger's efficiency % against Coppin State has little to do with tonight's game, and neither did their efficiency % last year prior to the a$$ whipping they got at the Barn. Efficiency is a statistical ouput that verifies the final score, it is not a determinant. Too often fans attempt to use it as one.

Pomeroy is a great resource for historical data, but the way he uses his stats to predict future results is often laughable. His rankings are too, especially this early in the year.

This statement highlights the major flaw with trying to use efficiency statistics as a foward looking measure of success. Efficiency % is great when analyzing past results (why X beat Y, etc.) but is not a great predictor due to the number of variables that change with each indiviual match-up/game. The Badger's efficiency % against Coppin State has little to do with tonight's game, and neither did their efficiency % last year prior to the a$$ whipping they got at the Barn. Efficiency is a statistical ouput that verifies the final score, it is not a determinant. Too often fans attempt to use it as one.

Pomeroy is a great resource for historical data, but the way he uses his stats to predict future results is often laughable. His rankings are too, especially this early in the year.

I totally agree. At the same time, predicting the future isn't the easiest trick, and his system does pretty decent for ranking 350 teams at once. I trust my eyes more than the numbers, but really I only watch the Badger games intently. How can I compare the other teams? Having some sort of objective measure that takes into account all of the games is more helpful than whatever snippets I catch on TV. I would trust a fan of another team that is semi-objective, knows basketball, and watches most of the games more than Pomeroy, but there aren't many of those around.

I'm not a gambler, but I've heard other people who have bet totally by Pomeroy, betting on every game when his line differs from the betting line by 2.5 pts or more and only once the calendar hits January (giving some more reliability to his data). They said they won 58% of the time, which is pretty decent for that sort of thing.

Can I be Beavis instead??

It's these damn conference games. They drive me crazy. I'll be the first one to congratulate you guys if, in the unlikelyhood, you win. :)

But that's no different from the P5 scores.

The reason tempo-free stats are a little more telling is because I can absolutely, positively guarantee you that the Gophers will not get 10 more possessions than the Badgers tonight. So assuming that the possession count varies by no more than 1, who will make the most of the possessions?

We don't know the answer for the future, but tempo-free stats are a better measure of the past. And it's not just Pomeroy. It's Gasaway. And Hollinger.

So assuming that the possession count varies by no more than 1, who will make the most of the possessions?

The Gophers will, silly.

The reason tempo-free stats are a little more telling is because I can absolutely, positively guarantee you that the Gophers will not get 10 more possessions than the Badgers tonight. So assuming that the possession count varies by no more than 1, who will make the most of the possessions?

I obviously don't know the answer, but I would argue that it depends on several factors including the total number of possessions we're talking about. The Badgers are much more effective (read efficient) when playing in the high 50s/low 60s possession-wise, the Gophers in the 70s. Would you agree? That is where tempo matters in a specific game, among many other factors.

The past two Gopher teams presented a significant match-up problem for Wisky. They were taller and more athletic than the Badgers at pretty much every position, significantly reducing UW's offensive effectiveness in their swing system. Individual match-up differences often don't show up in analysis from the stat geeks. But yet, they still try to predict individual games based on an analysis of UW's efficiency in a 50-35 win over Manhattan. It has no bearing.

Good stuff GopherWarrior. With a loss already in the books to Becky on your home floor, how are you going to handle it if the Badgers beat the Gophers tonight to go 2-0 on your teams? Will you need to be on suicide watch? Two losses to such a nondescript basketball team in two weeks would be awfully tough to take. The Badgers do lose about one Big Ten game a year at home under Bo, (maybe) so you never know, this could be the night.

Did anyone transfer from Marquette today? I did not get a chance to look at the paper yet.

Also, is UW-Madison supposed to be an offensive name? I am not sure why you use that. I suppose I could say UM-Twin Cities all the time, but it would be a lot more to type.

How in the heck did a player from the best high school in the State, Country, Universe get to Wisconsin? Not only that, he is a heck of a person and a heck of a player. How could that happen? He is going to be an all Big Ten performer by the time he is done also. Damn, that must hurt. I would venture to say if he were on the Gophers and improved at the same rate he has in Madison, the Gophers could be National Championship contenders. Oh well. Where is that guy that said he would never do anything in the Big 10. I have not heard much from him lately on Taylor.

As for tempo, it is really quite simple. Score more points in your possessions then you allow the other teams to score in their possessions. Not real tough to follow, but some of you seem to have trouble with it.

This year, the Gophers are scoring 77 a game and the Badgers 71. Do those 6 points a game mean the Gophers play race horse basketball and the Badgers play like snails? Of course not, unless you look at the number of possessions it takes to get that total.

For the Gophers to get to 77 tonight, given the number of possessions that there will most likely be in the game, they will need to be awfully efficient. See, it is not that hard to understand.

Good luck tonight. Last time the Gophers brought their rabbit's foot to the Kohl Center, not likely to happen again tonight.

I obviously don't know the answer, but I would argue that it depends on several factors including the total number of possessions we're talking about. The Badgers are much more effective (read efficient) when playing in the high 50s/low 60s possession-wise, the Gophers in the 70s. Would you agree? That is where tempo matters in a specific game, among many other factors.

The past two Gopher teams presented a significant match-up problem for Wisky. They were taller and more athletic than the Badgers at pretty much every position, significantly reducing UW's offensive effectiveness in their swing system. Individual match-up differences often don't show up in analysis from the stat geeks. But yet, they still try to predict individual games based on an analysis of UW's efficiency in a 50-35 win over Manhattan. It has no bearing.

I know you don't care about aggregate historical data or numbers against other teams, but it isn't actually true that the Badgers play poorer at a faster paced game. On the whole since 2003, their offense is barely worse as the tempo increases but their defense more than makes up for that, as it plays quite a bit better (or the other team's offense plays worse-however you look at it) as the tempo increases.

The last two victories by the Gophers against UW had 53 and 51 possessions. Those are glacially slow games, but it certainly didn't help out UW any.

Good luck tonight. Last time the Gophers brought their rabbit's foot to the Kohl Center, not likely to happen again tonight.

It's almost two years later and you still have sand in your snapper over that one, eh VG? Days of trash talk leading up to that game only to get it slammed in your fat a$$. Hilarious.

Did convincing yourself that Wisky's choke job was Gopher luck make it feel any better? I did notice significantly less trash talk out of you prior to the next two "bad-luck" losses to the Gophers.

If only we could get that racist Myles to post prior to the game tonight...that would be sweet.

I know you don't care about aggregate historical data or numbers against other teams, but it isn't actually true that the Badgers play poorer at a faster paced game. On the whole since 2003, their offense is barely worse as the tempo increases but their defense more than makes up for that, as it plays quite a bit better (or the other team's offense plays worse-however you look at it) as the tempo increases.

The last two victories by the Gophers against UW had 53 and 51 possessions. Those are glacially slow games, but it certainly didn't help out UW any.

The win at Kohl was in the high 70s, high 60s without OT, a game in which the Gophers "sped up" the Badgers to climb back in it. I agree that the last two were slower, especially the 09 game in Williams. Slooooooooooooow paced game. Last year the Gophs were in control all game, and had no desire to press and force tempo. Totally different type game/circumstances.

I don't think the Gophers can win a low possession game this year against UW. They need higher possessions to score enough to win. While UW may only be slightly worse (again, historically) with faster pace, I think it's the only way the Gophs can win. Just my opinion.

For what it's worth, the match-up issues that UM presented UW the last two years are no longer strengths for the Gophers. DJ and Carter were huge in forcing UW into uncomfortable positions offensively. Rodney and Hollins are not there yet. I think UW wins this one by 10ish.

Top Bottom