Backup plan if Metrodome unavailable...?

SomeGopherFan

Reaction score
Does the Gopher baseball team have a contingency for their early season home games if the Metrodome is not repaired in time? That's still some nine weeks out, so hopefully this is a non-issue and the roof will be repaired by then, but just curious...

I think that's a legit question. It should be done in time but you never know. It's taken a lot longer than I thought it would and I hope the repair job does not drag on past Feb.!

Target field is not going to help us with non-conference games in March with snow still on the ground. I'm sure once the Big Ten season starts they will play at Seibert field if the Dome is not available but those games in March where do you play? It will be interesting to see what they do with those games if the Dome is not ready.

Target field is not going to help us with non-conference games in March with snow still on the ground. I'm sure once the Big Ten season starts they will play at Seibert field if the Dome is not available but those games in March where do you play? It will be interesting to see what they do with those games if the Dome is not ready.

I think Midway Stadium would be the backup for the Big Ten season. The stands at Seibert are not Big Ten worthy.

Did someone really suggest Target Field as an alternative? In February? Sorry, I have to chuckle at that one. You do realize Target does NOT have a roof right?

If the Legislature is making any progress on a stadium bill by March, which I hope they will, they will likely hold off on making the repairs until that issue is resolved. There's not sense sinking $15 million into a roof if they're going to turn right around and buil the new stadium on the Dome site.

There are many options, few of them good. Once the snow goes away, we can play at any number of stadiums in the Metro area, Target Field, Midway, various other fields as the schedule permits. Hamline already plays at Midway, so we would have to schedule around them, and then in May, we'd have to schedule around the Saints. It would be nice if Target Field would let is play there when the Twins are out of town.

But it's the early games that are the problem. Rescheduling them would probably not be an option, we may have to cancel or play the games on the road. The latter would of course add expense. I'm no fan of the dome, but it does allow the Gophers to play home games early in the season.

I will miss my annual Jan or Feb Trek to the DOME for a baseball game.

300 games scheduled for the Dome thru March.

If the Vikings build a "Football Only" designed stadium and they tear down the Dome we will have a big void for Early Baseball in Minnesota.

Just a question. Now that the Twins play outdoors - maybe the Saints should take their game indoors. They want a new Park also. You see several of these dome bubbles mostly for Tennis courts or practice fields. What would it take to build a smaller Dome to accommodate indoor baseball as well as many other indoor events and concerts. If Ziggy gets his wish for an outdoor Football Stadium there will be a need for. Could we buy the FARGO Dome and move it down south.

If the Vikings build a "Football Only" designed stadium and they tear down the Dome we will have a big void for Early Baseball in Minnesota.

That's what I think the big question is. What will happen to MN baseball during, and after, construction? IIRC studies have shown the Dome is unsustainable without all three tenants, especially the Vikings. Some group should be advocating for an indoor stadium of some kind that will work for baseball--no frills needed.

I think people are over analzing this situation too much. Once April hits they will play the games at Seibert field if the dome is not ready. They played their fall scrimmages there and people sat in the main grandstand. Minnesota baseball games never draw a lot of people (unfortunately) so I think the main grandstand will be enough. Once April hits and if the dome is not ready my money is on Seibert field. Too many headaches trying to get the other places worked out.

I just think trying to play in all those other places will be a much bigger hassle than playing at Seibert field. Seibert field is a peice of junk but I think it's the best option if dome not ready in April.

The Future?

Interesting discussion in today's Mpls Star Tribune about the current Dome and all of the things housed in the facility, including Gopher and other amateur baseball, prep sports, and community recreation.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Leads one to ponder how this will affect the discussion about a new Vikings stadium. I'm of two minds on this one. The first approach, and most likely, is a facility with a roof, retractable or not (though aesthetically I prefer a fixed roof facility). You build it with a moving stands system so that baseball can be played there. This would also accommodate the ability to play host to Final Fours/NCAA Regionals and/or a Super Bowl. I think this is the most likely option.

A second approach, which I don't believe I've heard anyone espouse, is to build a new open-air football stadium for the Vikings on the current Dome location. A true, NFC-North stadium, with 65-70K seats, adequate premium seating, a heated grass field, purple seats, etc. This, is what I believe, the Vikings would truly want in the end. The cost of this would probably not be more than $650 to $700 million, especially if the designers were creative in using existing infrastructure, including the existing lower bowl of the dome.

As mentioned above by RRJack, maybe this approach could be coupled with the construction of an approximately 15K seat indoor arena....similar to Telenor Arena in Norway (see photo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor_Arena

Basically, all you would need is a large warehouse/hangar style building that could be used for amateur baseball, prep sports including the prep bowl and other state championships, minor league soccer, and other community uses. It would obviously need a higher roof than Telenor Arena, but the concept would be the same. It wouldn't need to be fancy, and if built correctly and structurally well, could serve the community for many years. This would replicate every feature of the current dome except the ability to host a Final Four or Super Bowl, which is such an infrequent thing that I don't believe it to be a major sticking point. I don't know where you could put it exactly, but maybe somewhere adjacent to the Fairgrounds, which is a good central location.

Cost wise, it looks like Telenor was built for approximately $100 million US. Even if it was $150 million, throwing that on top of an outdoor stadium probably still wouldn't equal the price tag of a new facility with a retractable roof. As for long-term operating costs, you could probably just moth-ball the facility all summer as well.

I don't know if anyone has ever thought of this, but this would be a great solution in my mind.

Attachments

• telenor.jpg
    telenor.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 17

Reality of University of Minnesota Baseball

Is it viable to build a new Gopher baseball stadium (10 - 12 million$) or whatever it will cost and not play 1st half of schedule in the metrodome like we have been? How can Big 10 teams compete in national tournaments againts the Southern and Western teams? We have hockey programs up here. Most of them do not. We should think about dropping baseball and golf. This could be a big money saver. Golf has given the U of Minn a lawsuit and bad publicity we do not need.

Golf and baseball have also given Minnesota national titles.

Is it viable to build a new Gopher baseball stadium (10 - 12 million$) or whatever it will cost and not play 1st half of schedule in the metrodome like we have been? How can Big 10 teams compete in national tournaments againts the Southern and Western teams? We have hockey programs up here. Most of them do not. We should think about dropping baseball and golf. This could be a big money saver. Golf has given the U of Minn a lawsuit and bad publicity we do not need.

Yes, it is viable. The money from this is coming from private donations. It's true that we have hockey, but at Minnesota hockey makes a profit. Wisconsin is the only Big Ten school that does not have baseball, the other Big Ten schools do just fine with not having an indoor facility to play in. Much is made of Wisconsin not having baseball, but it is important to note that Wisconsin has men's soccer, while we do not. The dome allowed us to have home games early, but while the dome wasn't a good place to watch the Twins, it was a worse place to watch Gopher baseball, with the much smaller crowds. Minnesota has a very strong baseball program, we just won the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles this year. Baseball is not going anywhere, nor should it.

Uffda...you and everyone else who is calling for baseball to be dropped need to lay off...I got sick of all the people darwing parallels to us and Wisconsin and how dropping baseball made them into a football power...the only reason that baseball was dropped at Wisconsin because football was on life-support and the athletic department was hemoraging money...Wisconsin got good in football because of Barry Alvarez and administrative commitment...not because they dropped baseball...they are the only school in the Big 10 without baseball...Minnesota has a proud and glorious tradition in baseball...all they have ever done is win...some of the "U's" most prolific athletic alumni (Paul Molitor, Dave Winfield, Terry Steinbach) have come out of baseball...not to mention Jerry Kindel and Paul Giel...John Anderson has done nothing but represent the school with integrity and class while winning at a tremendous clip...as far as money goes, it is all donated...The U is not going to save a dime by dropping the stadium effort...they will never see that money...I have been a Gopher Football fan as long as I have been a Gopher Baseball fan (my whole life)...I want them to succeed dearly but not at the cost of baseball or any other sports...dropping things is not the answer.

Interesting discussion in today's Mpls Star Tribune about the current Dome and all of the things housed in the facility, including Gopher and other amateur baseball, prep sports, and community recreation.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Leads one to ponder how this will affect the discussion about a new Vikings stadium. I'm of two minds on this one. The first approach, and most likely, is a facility with a roof, retractable or not (though aesthetically I prefer a fixed roof facility). You build it with a moving stands system so that baseball can be played there. This would also accommodate the ability to play host to Final Fours/NCAA Regionals and/or a Super Bowl. I think this is the most likely option.

A second approach, which I don't believe I've heard anyone espouse, is to build a new open-air football stadium for the Vikings on the current Dome location. A true, NFC-North stadium, with 65-70K seats, adequate premium seating, a heated grass field, purple seats, etc. This, is what I believe, the Vikings would truly want in the end. The cost of this would probably not be more than $650 to $700 million, especially if the designers were creative in using existing infrastructure, including the existing lower bowl of the dome.

As mentioned above by RRJack, maybe this approach could be coupled with the construction of an approximately 15K seat indoor arena....similar to Telenor Arena in Norway (see photo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenor_Arena

Basically, all you would need is a large warehouse/hangar style building that could be used for amateur baseball, prep sports including the prep bowl and other state championships, minor league soccer, and other community uses. It would obviously need a higher roof than Telenor Arena, but the concept would be the same. It wouldn't need to be fancy, and if built correctly and structurally well, could serve the community for many years. This would replicate every feature of the current dome except the ability to host a Final Four or Super Bowl, which is such an infrequent thing that I don't believe it to be a major sticking point. I don't know where you could put it exactly, but maybe somewhere adjacent to the Fairgrounds, which is a good central location.

Cost wise, it looks like Telenor was built for approximately $100 million US. Even if it was $150 million, throwing that on top of an outdoor stadium probably still wouldn't equal the price tag of a new facility with a retractable roof. As for long-term operating costs, you could probably just moth-ball the facility all summer as well.

I don't know if anyone has ever thought of this, but this would be a great solution in my mind.

So Option A: Spend $800 million on a roofed facility for the Vikings, which will also house Prep Bowl, hundreds of baseball games and get us a Final Four, multiple regionals, a Super Bowl and countless other events.

or

Option B: Spend $650 million on an outdoor Vikings stadium AND $150 on an indoor facility for baseball and Prep Bowl. Lose out on a Super Bowl, a Final Four, NCAA regionals, etc. etc. for the same price!

Doesn't seem like too difficult of a choice, does it?

Why does the prep Bowl need to be inside? Didnt baseball always start with a few series in California, Texas or Florida before the Dome...and we competed for National titles then. Put all the Monster truck shows and concerts in the X, or let the Mdnoketwon tribe build a "Multipurpose center' for such events.

Metrdome repairs will take 5 to 6 months. meaning Gophers big ten home schedule at the home is history. They going to have to fine new venue for all there home games.

Metrodome repairs could take months

I've played in winter baseball leagues at the dome the last two years. It was a blast. But now it looks like the league will be done for good. Bummer. :confused:

If the Vikings do get a new stadium, they need some kind of roof so we can be in the running again for NCAA basketball tourneys and maybe another Super Bowl.

Metrdome repairs will take 5 to 6 months. meaning Gophers big ten home schedule at the home is history. They going to have to fine new venue for all there home games.

Metrodome repairs could take months

The Twins are on the road each weekend the Gophers are home during the Big Ten season. I'm thinking Target Field for conference games.

It was fortunate that the schedule worked out perfectly so the Gophers could play at the Twins stadium. I hope by the time everything is said and done with the schedule, we can at least play 50 of the 56 games scheduled to play before the Metrodome collasped. We'll see if that happens, but the mid-week games will be hard to make up if not impossible.

Top Bottom