All B10 Team

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
I have had some time to relax and think during X-mas break and I've been putting together the best B10 team I could think of. The only requirements is that you have 13 scholarships and the players have to be a current scholarship player for a B10 team, assuming everyone is healthy. So far here is what I have with a reason for each player

1. JuJuan Johnson-6' 10" athlete that can run, jump, and shot that's enough for me

2. Jerad Sullinger-Has been completely dominate so far

3. Mike Davis-A bit of a surprise here but I would love to pair him with JJ up front and just run people off the floor

4. Ralph Sampson-I had a hard time choosing a 4th big I just went with RS3. Not 100% sure on this pick.

5. Robbie Hummel-Love the flexibility he provides, depending on the line he could play SG, SF, or PF or any combo of those position.

6. Jon Leuer-See Robbie Hummel.

7. E'Twan Moore-He can simply score, when he is 40 he will drop 14 of his teams 21 points against 18 year olds at the Y.

8. Kalin Lucas-No better PG to run this team, love that can push the ball with a team that he can run.

9. Demetri McCamey-If he figures out that he doesn't need to take half of this teams shots he will be a great addition to the team

10. David Lighty-Glue guy, lockdown defender, does it all, I think he is a great locker room guy

11. Jordan Taylor-I had a tough time deciding who would be a great backup PG I just went with Taylor, if you disagree I'm not going to argue with you

12. Blake Hoffarber-I think every team needs a pure shooter, none better than Hoffarber.

13. A lot of different options here, Green, Battle, Barlow, I know I don't want another big but does anyone have any great suggestions.

I see no way possible you can construct an all-Big Ten team and not include Jon Shurna and Talor Battle. I also think I'd throw Draymond Green in there.

I have had some time to relax and think during X-mas break and I've been putting together the best B10 team I could think of. The only requirements is that you have 13 scholarships and the players have to be a current scholarship player for a B10 team, assuming everyone is healthy. So far here is what I have with a reason for each player

1. JuJuan Johnson-6' 10" athlete that can run, jump, and shot that's enough for me

2. Jerad Sullinger-Has been completely dominate so far

3. Mike Davis-A bit of a surprise here but I would love to pair him with JJ up front and just run people off the floor

4. Ralph Sampson-I had a hard time choosing a 4th big I just went with RS3. Not 100% sure on this pick.

5. Robbie Hummel-Love the flexibility he provides, depending on the line he could play SG, SF, or PF or any combo of those position.

6. Jon Leuer-See Robbie Hummel.

7. E'Twan Moore-He can simply score, when he is 40 he will drop 14 of his teams 21 points against 18 year olds at the Y.

8. Kalin Lucas-No better PG to run this team, love that can push the ball with a team that he can run.

9. Demetri McCamey-If he figures out that he doesn't need to take half of this teams shots he will be a great addition to the team

10. David Lighty-Glue guy, lockdown defender, does it all, I think he is a great locker room guy

11. Jordan Taylor-I had a tough time deciding who would be a great backup PG I just went with Taylor, if you disagree I'm not going to argue with you

12. Blake Hoffarber-I think every team needs a pure shooter, none better than Hoffarber.

13. A lot of different options here, Green, Battle, Barlow, I know I don't want another big but does anyone have any great suggestions.

I like all the guys mentioned above, except the Purdue guys.:D

I see no way possible you can construct an all-Big Ten team and not include Jon Shurna and Talor Battle. I also think I'd throw Draymond Green in there.

I wasn't trying to put together an All B10 team I was simply trying to put together the best team from B10 players. That is why I left off Shurna, Hummel and Leuer have similar skill sets, but I went with Hummel and Leuer over Shurna, it's a personal preference.

The reason I left off Battle is that with Moore and McCamey I thought the team had enough "Scoring Guards" I went with more of a PG in Taylor.

I am leaning towards Green for the final position but I'm not 100% I want to go with him over a more athletic player.

I wasn't trying to put together an All B10 team

I understand what you were doing. I still see no way to leave off Shurna. I don't care how you assemble a team, a 6-8 guy who is shooting 62% from 3pt range is on my team.

As to the others, it is personal preference, as you said. They are all fine players. I'd have no problem leaving Lighty, Davis, Sampson, Taylor off that group. I think there are better options. I'd probably go something like this:

PGs: Lucas, McCamey, Battle (guys who can score and dish)

SGs: Summers, Diebler, Hoffarber (all can shoot, smart players)

SFs: Hummell, Lueur, Shurna (smart, hustling, sharpshooters)

PFs: Sullinger, Mbakwe, Green (space eating, athletic scorers/rebounders)

C: JuJuan Johnson (score, rebound, block shots)

That group would take care of the ball, score, rebound, and be an absolute bear to try to defend.

Even though this is a fantasy list, Hummel isn't playing so nobody objectively would pick him for their team for this year - he's certainly not going to be making any all-Big Ten teams this season. You've got to be kidding even suggesting putting Kelsey Barlow on your team - the way you mentioned him on your list, it makes it look like you're thinking it through in your mind "hmm, I could pick Kelsey Barlow or Talor Battle, but I can't decide between them," and you look like a damn fool. Talor Battle is really good. Kelsey Barlow is not. And since when does a "resident Purdue expert" misspell his own players' names (i.e., "E'twan")? I'm not sure who Jerad Sullinger is, but Jared Sullinger is pretty good (although dboy tends to disagree with that notion).

I understand what you were doing. I still see no way to leave off Shurna. I don't care how you assemble a team, a 6-8 guy who is shooting 62% from 3pt range is on my team.

As to the others, it is personal preference, as you said. They are all fine players. I'd have no problem leaving Lighty, Davis, Sampson, Taylor off that group. I think there are better options. I'd probably go something like this:

PGs: Lucas, McCamey, Battle (guys who can score and dish)

SGs: Summers, Diebler, Hoffarber (all can shoot, smart players)

SFs: Hummell, Lueur, Shurna (smart, hustling, sharpshooters)

PFs: Sullinger, Mbakwe, Green (space eating, athletic scorers/rebounders)

C: JuJuan Johnson (score, rebound, block shots)

That group would take care of the ball, score, rebound, and be an absolute bear to try to defend.

Jordan taylor may be the best Pure Point guard in the Conference.
John Leuer is not a 3! He is a true 4
Johnson is too.
Sullinger is a 5

The reason I considered Barlow is that he is INSANELY athletic. Does he make me want to pull my hair out a times, ya, but then there are times he makes plays that maybe 2 other people in the conference at times. That's why I considered him. Was there some homerism there, ya, but there was also a reason I consider him.

And sorry I misspelled a name or two, it happens.

As I stated before the reason that I didn't consider Battle is that there is only 1 ball and there is only X numbers of shots in a game. I personally feel that if you combine McCamey and Battle they would take too many of the shots to keep everyone happy. That is the reason I left McCamey off the team.

Thank you. You basically summed up the Purdue problems with his post. Hell, let's just have Purdue's starting lineup if we're going to throw Barlow in there. Also, since we're including players who aren't even playing this year, let's throw in some Purdue commits.

Even though this is a fantasy list, Hummel isn't playing so nobody objectively would pick him for their team for this year - he's certainly not going to be making any all-Big Ten teams this season. You've got to be kidding even suggesting putting Kelsey Barlow on your team - the way you mentioned him on your list, it makes it look like you're thinking it through in your mind "hmm, I could pick Kelsey Barlow or Talor Battle, but I can't decide between them," and you look like a damn fool. Talor Battle is really good. Kelsey Barlow is not. And since when does a "resident Purdue expert" misspell his own players' names (i.e., "E'twan")? I'm not sure who Jerad Sullinger is, but Jared Sullinger is pretty good (although dboy tends to disagree with that notion).

The reason I considered Barlow is that he is INSANELY athletic. Does he make me want to pull my hair out a times, ya, but then there are times he makes plays that maybe 2 other people in the conference at times. That's why I considered him. Was there some homerism there, ya, but there was also a reason I consider him.

Then why not Rodney Williams? He fits your description of Barlow pretty well (INSANELY athletic but, at times, frustrating). Rodney even has better numbers than Barlow in nearly identical minutes. So why isn't Rodney on your short list? Because he doesn't belong. And neither does Barlow. There's no argument to put Barlow, or Rodney, on this list. They both might have potential to be All-Big Ten type guys down the road, but right now, neither player belongs with the real big boys of the conference.

Jordan taylor may be the best Pure Point guard in the Conference.

Could be. Still doesn't mean I would include him on the team. I like him as a player, but he isn't better, IMHO, than the three I've got at point.

John Leuer is not a 3! He is a true 4. Johnson is too

Both Leuer and Johnson are combo players. We're really debating semantics. Leuer is a guy who can play the 3 and 4 and has skills for both. Johnson is a guy who is actually officially listed on the Purdue roster as a F/C and he clearly has played the 5 much of his career. Again, both are on the team, and both will be contributors. If it makes you feel better to call Jon and JuJuan 4s, go ahead.

Sullinger is a 5

He's listed as a Forward. He plays like a 4. He's projected as a prototypical 4, ala Al Jefferson. But, again, if you feel better to call him a 5, go ahead. He's still on my team and playing a lot.

take hummel, mike davis, and RS3 off, i love you ralph but youre not consistant enough. put on Mbakwe, Shurna, and buford or lighty.

Then why not Rodney Williams? He fits your description of Barlow pretty well (INSANELY athletic but, at times, frustrating). Rodney even has better numbers than Barlow in nearly identical minutes. So why isn't Rodney on your short list? Because he doesn't belong. And neither does Barlow. There's no argument to put Barlow, or Rodney, on this list. They both might have potential to be All-Big Ten type guys down the road, but right now, neither player belongs with the real big boys of the conference.

Honestly I haven't seen enough of Williams to consider him. I am of the opinion that often time raw numbers don't tell the entire story. I like to really watch a team play at least once before forming an opinion on a player.

take hummel, mike davis, and RS3 off, i love you ralph but youre not consistant enough. put on Mbakwe, Shurna, and buford or lighty.

I said that players that are redshirted are able to be pick so I took Hummel and Leuer over Shurna.

As I stated the reason I went with Davis is that he is a crazy athlete and I would love to seem him paired with JJ up front.

Also I have Lighty in the original team.

It's crazy to pick guys who are redshirting, even on this sort of fantasy team. Players who are redshirting are not playing, therefore, you would not even pick them to play on your fantasy team if you were playing fantasy college basketball competitively, so you shouldn't bother picking them to play on this sort of fantasy team.

Could be. Still doesn't mean I would include him on the team. I like him as a player, but he isn't better, IMHO, than the three I've got at point.

Both Leuer and Johnson are combo players. We're really debating semantics. Leuer is a guy who can play the 3 and 4 and has skills for both. Johnson is a guy who is actually officially listed on the Purdue roster as a F/C and he clearly has played the 5 much of his career. Again, both are on the team, and both will be contributors. If it makes you feel better to call Jon and JuJuan 4s, go ahead.

He's listed as a Forward. He plays like a 4. He's projected as a prototypical 4, ala Al Jefferson. But, again, if you feel better to call him a 5, go ahead. He's still on my team and playing a lot.

As far as point guards go. I think you want them to play defense too..This eliminates Battle & McCamey.
Yes they are that bad on Defense.
Lucas is but a shadow of what he was before his injury. He is not even the best point on his team.
The most complete point is Jordan taylor so far this year based on play and not reputation.
At the end of the year who knows.

Honestly I haven't seen enough of Williams to consider him. I am of the opinion that often time raw numbers don't tell the entire story. I like to really watch a team play at least once before forming an opinion on a player.

So you are trying to form an "All Big Ten" team without proper evaluation of each team and its players? Sounds legitimate.

THE all-big 10 team will be 5 guys.

Sullinger
Moore
J. Johnson
Lucas
McCamey

Top Bottom