4th Scholarship Payton Rumors

akgopher

Reaction score
We need a 4th scholarship for our recruiting class and Sid reported that Payton is gone after this year. Despite the fact that Payton appears to be dead weight at the end of the bench, this concerns me. Is he be being run-out of the program, or does he want to be done?

It's one thing if he leaves because he wants to be done, or if his academic failures are really severe. But if it's not the case, I hope Tubby is transparent when future academic shortcomings/rule violations occur to players with bigger roles. I also hope it's not because he's been a bust, we made a commitment to him just like Izzo made to Dahlman.

Anyone have any insight on the situation? Maybe Sid was delusional on this one.

He has recieved four years on scholarship. I think that qualifies as honoring the commitment.

We need a 4th scholarship for our recruiting class and Sid reported that Payton is gone after this year. Despite the fact that Payton appears to be dead weight at the end of the bench, this concerns me. Is he be being run-out of the program, or does he want to be done?

It's one thing if he leaves because he wants to be done, or if his academic failures are really severe. But if it's not the case, I hope Tubby is transparent when future academic shortcomings/rule violations occur to players with bigger roles. I also hope it's not because he's been a bust, we made a commitment to him just like Izzo made to Dahlman.

Anyone have any insight on the situation? Maybe Sid was delusional on this one.

I believe Payton is/was on track to graduate in May 2009. I hope he does.

I'm a little confused, don't we only get 13? And with 13 already on the team, minus jas and jwill, that's 2 for next year with royce, rodney and justin coming in. Wouldn't this be the third one we need? Or am I wrong?

I'm a little confused, don't we only get 13? And with 13 already on the team, minus jas and jwill, that's 2 for next year with royce, rodney and justin coming in. Wouldn't this be the third one we need? Or am I wrong?

There are going to be four players coming next year. The forth will be Mbakwe.

Right, my mistake (Gladly!) So how is this going to work then??
JAS, JWill, KP, Busch will all no longer be on scholarship.

JAS, JWill, and KP will all graduate this fall. Busch will revert to walk-on status, as his scholarship was year-to-year based on availability. Since we had an extra this year, he got it. Since we don't next year, he won't.

4 incoming players, 4 available scholarships.

The consensus has been that Busch will revert to walk-on status or that Blake will qualify for an academic scholarship (if that is allowable.)

4 scholarships needed for next year:

Royce ----> JAS
Rodney---> Jon Williams
Cobb------> Payton
Mbakwe---> Busch, Blake or someone transfers???

SGL,

>>...as his scholarship was year-to-year based on availability<<

All athletic scholarships are year-to-year and subject to annual renewal at the discretion of the university (coach). That's written into the offer signed by the athlete in the first place.

Ok, I gotcha. It had been a while since I had payed attention to the scholly topic. As an aside, does anyone else think it would be a bad idea for Blake to go on an academic scholarship? Not in any way doubting his intelligence or grades, but that would be a lot of pressure on AND off the court, especially since he is in Carlson. As a student athlete, its hard enough as it is to get good grades, let alone the kind of grades you need for an academic scholarship at a school like the U.

Ok, I gotcha. It had been a while since I had payed attention to the scholly topic. As an aside, does anyone else think it would be a bad idea for Blake to go on an academic scholarship? Not in any way doubting his intelligence or grades, but that would be a lot of pressure on AND off the court, especially since he is in Carlson. As a student athlete, its hard enough as it is to get good grades, let alone the kind of grades you need for an academic scholarship at a school like the U.
I think it'd be a terrible idea for him to do it, and I'm sure the coaches wouldn't even think about it (academic scholarships don't cover nearly as much as athletic scholarships do). This idea has been covered ad nauseum on the board.

I'm not a Carlson major, but I've taken classes in Carlson and they are FAR easier than the ones in my major. You could basically sleep through an entire semester and end up with a B.

Carlson is hard to get into, but easy to Ace.

I'm not a Carlson major, but I've taken classes in Carlson and they are FAR easier than the ones in my major. You could basically sleep through an entire semester and end up with a B.

Carlson is hard to get into, but easy to Ace.
Any Carlson majors out there care to give their opinion of this assertion? It'd be interesting to hear what the other side has to say...

Any Carlson majors out there care to give their opinion of this assertion? It'd be interesting to hear what the other side has to say...

I'm not a Carlson major, but I'm in a business major with CFANS that partners with Carlson, and the grading curve is what makes it difficult.

Although if SGL is an engineering major then I could understand his reasoning.
Ah, no. :) I've been out of school for quite some time now. Attended a school on the other side of the country, so never knew the differences between Carlson & the regular school, just heard how rigorous the Carlson School is compared to the regular school, especially junior and senior years.

P.S. There was no way I was going into engineering...just way too dry for me ;)

P.P.S. Gorton, I heard the same thing regarding the grading curve at Carlson and why that makes it more difficult than the regular school.

My mistake, I meant Jeshurun could be in engineering, as he was the one who made the comment. Still pretty early in the morning, sorry SGL :)

He has recieved four years on scholarship. I think that qualifies as honoring the commitment.

Good point, but the coaching staff chose to redshirt him (the injury clouds the matter) and for the sake of transparency DJ will get his fifth year. My take is, does this damage our loyalty to a guy we recruited and does it give other schools ammo to use in recruiting battles. What if we head back to New Jersey to recruit another player, do we burn a bridge there if we cut him off?

Didn't Darius Lane and Seton Hall mutually part ways before his redshirt senior year?

Well, what if a guy was a lazy bum and a cry baby? Not saying anyone is, just saying "what if?"

I've heard several times that Payton has been great to have around and works hard in practice. Don't remember where I heard that but I do remember hearing it.

He could be at the point where he knows he won't play next year and is willing to give it up. Maybe he'll coach or something.

No Carlson really isn't that tough. I'm currently a double major and although there are a few tougher classes (depending on the major), it's really difficult to get lower than a B assuming you're a decently smart kid and have a reasonable desire to do well. I don't think he'll have much of a problem maintaining the GPA he needs to stay on academic scholarship.

No Carlson really isn't that tough. I'm currently a double major and although there are a few tougher classes (depending on the major), it's really difficult to get lower than a B assuming you're a decently smart kid and have a reasonable desire to do well. I don't think he'll have much of a problem maintaining the GPA he needs to stay on academic scholarship.
Oh the irony of that post, coming from "Russ Archambault." :D

I remember a situation when Duke had a commitment from a post player in the early 90's who got in an accident or hurt. Coach K called the family and told them not to worry because he had a basketball scholarship at Duke regardless if he could play or not. I can't stand Coach K or Duke, but after hearing that story I'd let him in my living room if my kid was a DI recruit.

I'm related to three DI scholarship players who played at different schools and had three different experiences. One stayed one year before going signing and another played 4 years. But the third, had a different experience and might have gotten a bad deal and reveals that we don't always get the full story about what really happens in some programs.

There were questions about his game and he had some partial/walk-on offers with the understanding they'd increase if he performed. Anyway, he was the 4th leading scorer his sophomore season and his coach not only didn't increase his scholarship, but wanted to reduce it. There might have been a perception that his parents could afford to pay tuition, maybe he wasn't their type of player. He told the coach to stick it and walked. Somehow, the story from him and the coach to the media related to a chronic injury. I still run into people who ask me if I'm related to him and what a bummer it was that he had health problems.

Wouldn't a program risk it's reputation when dealing with players like this, as compared to how Duke did? Coach's Associations are frequently tight and you probably don't want to burn a player and risk upsetting a whole state of coaches.

I was a Carlson Grad and will admit it is not as tough as some other colleges but there are a number of tough classes and some really tough teachers. I took a finance course that a score of 48% was curved to a B. I only was able to finish 2/3 of the test and was pretty sure I was going to have to drop the class but the rest of the class struggled the same. For the most part if he is a marketing major he will doing group projects for most of his classes.

Also for some context, I started off as an Applied Econ/Ag Business major that is where a lot of the people go if they can't get into Carlson (I didn't decide I wanted to go to Carlson until my Sophmore year when I realized few big companies recruit outside of Carlson). My Applied Econ classes were 10x harder than anything Carlson through at me.

I'm impressed!!!!!!!!!!! Basically because I am now retired, and that is all I will brag about.

[/quote]Also for some context, I started off as an Applied Econ/Ag Business major that is where a lot of the people go if they can't get into Carlson [/QUOTE] It's true, I tried and didn't get in and I'm now in that program. Although to be fair, I really like the program because it takes all the best of Carlson and econ courses. After seeing that I wouldn't trade. But that's just me.

Most students think that Carlson is easy because they only take the mid-level classes (i.e. Marketing 3001, Finance 3001, Accounting 3001), which are intended to give you a background for your major courses. When you move into your upper-level classes (which you need to be in Carlson to take), they become much more difficult. So you might be able to sleep through your 3001s, but I'd bet you can't sleep through Accounting 5101 or 5102 and get a B.

On the Hoffarber going to academic scholarship...I know people who are very close to Blake and I GUARANTEE that he will not be on academic scholarship next year. Payton will be done and Busch will be a walk-on.

Top Bottom