Maine 74, Penn State 64

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Ouch.

Unless during the Big Ten season Penn State finds a gear it hasn't shown during nonconference play, it's losses like this that lead to end-of-season firings. I think this one eventually spells the end of Ed DeChellis' tenure in Happy Valley. Even considering how strong the Big Ten is/has been recently, I don't think DeChellis can survive having a dynamic talent like Talor Battle for 4 years without even once reaching the NCAA tourney. And so close to a bid two years ago.

It's too bad. DeChellis seems like a good man, and I think he's a decent coach, too. If you want to talk about tough places to win, try Penn State hoops. It's pretty pathetic how little their fans care about basketball.

Crazy to think just two years ago the place was packed as Talor Battle hit a game-winner to knock off a ranked Illinois team in a win that should have locked up an NCAA berth.

Then - they lose to Iowa in double OT in the regular season finale and the rest is history.

I actually moved them below Iowa in my Strib Power Poll rankings this week. A sad state of affairs.

Penn State

Moving them below Iowa is certainly reasonable. About a month and a half into the season, I feel like I can safely this. ... if the Gophers are any good at all they should not lose to either Iowa or Penn State. Not sweeping those four games would be inexcusable. I can see a loss to Indiana or Michigan, especially on the road, but a loss to either the Nittany Lions or Hawkeyes would be major cause for concern.

Crazy to think just two years ago the place was packed as Talor Battle hit a game-winner to knock off a ranked Illinois team in a win that should have locked up an NCAA berth.

Then - they lose to Iowa in double OT in the regular season finale and the rest is history.

I actually moved them below Iowa in my Strib Power Poll rankings this week. A sad state of affairs.

39-33 wins don't usually lock up anything, anything good that is.

I suck. I don't know why this clip is not embedding.

Ha. I have voted PSU the last-place team for a couple weeks - what took you so long? Iowa, while being pretty bad in their own right, has at least beaten some "name" teams this year, that's more than PSU can lay claim to. But I agree Iowa and PSU are the worst two teams in the Big Ten.

What makes it even harder for PSU is they have the toughest schedule in the Big Ten - the only teams they play once are Iowa and Indiana. Look at the PSU road schedule: @ Indiana, @ Michigan, @ OSU, @ Purdue, @ Illinois, @ MSU, @ Wisconsin, @ Northwestern, @ Minnesota. Ouch. There aren't any easy ones there on that road schedule - the only one I think they have any chance in is @ Northwestern. PSU went a long time last year before recording their first conference win - the only question in my mind is will they manage to avoid a winless season in conference play this year? The only conference games I think are winnable for them is their two games with Northwestern and their home game with Iowa.

Ahh yes, that one. I still wouldn't be shocked if that earlier clunker disqualified them in the eyes of the committee.

Top Bottom