Mid-December Thoughts: Gophers 2010-11

Reaction score
Twitter: bigjaybee

Note: I completely disclaim all of this as pure jibberish and not well thought out. Numbers, facts and opinions may be disjointed from reality and subject to immense change.

Prior to the start of the season, I had some random thoughts on the Gophers team...Pre-Season Thoughts

Now with just one non-conference game remaining, I wanted to circle back and see how goofy my thoughts were and how the outlook has changed. NOTE: Discussion in italic type represents quotes from the Pre-Season Thoughts post from early November.

On The Big Ten

"First and second go to tOSU and Michigan State, without question. After those two, I think any ordering of the next four is reasonable. From there, Northwestern stands out from the bottom four, which could be mixed up reasonably as long as Iowa remains on the bottom...
...For the Gophers, a 5th or 6th place finish is reasonable as long as they earn a tourney berth. 7th would be disappointing and anything worse would be disgraceful. 3rd or 4th is doable and is a reasonable team goal. 1st or 2nd would be a significant accomplishment...
...The Gophers are thrown into the gauntlet early on in conference play...A 1-3 start certainly doesn’t mean all is lost - but the team may need to show resolve and push through the rest of the season as they did a year ago.
"

I'm still comfortable with these thoughts.

On Match-ups and Lineups

"Match-ups: The Gophers can play huge if needed, but certain match-ups may dictate that we don’t. Some of the potential combinations are intriguing but are going to be unwise in some situations...
...My general starting lineup would likely be: Nolen, Joseph, Hoffarber, Mbakwe and Sampson. Iverson and Williams are also capable of starting at this point in the season.
Sampson, Mbakwe and Iverson are each capable of a points-rebounds double double on any given night...
...From there, I believe we can count on Hollins and Walker for some minutes right out of the gate. Armelin may be able to help some as well.
"

No changes here, I still feel the same way. The suspension of Joseph and Nolen's injury have dicatated that my preferred lineup has not yet occured, but it very well could in the near future. I don't think there are many opportunities we'd ever have to play more than 2 out of Ralph/Colton/Mo/Trevor at one time, but it would interesting to see if the opposition's five allowed us to try it for a few minutes.

I've heard people - fans, national media, local media all included - say multiple times that we are a deep team. I'm still not sold on that opinion. This team's core has very good experience, but I don't see us as being particular deep when it comes to the bench. I see the returning guys as all being potential big minute guys (25+) -- Nolen, Joseph, Hoffarber, Mbakwe, Sampson, Iverson and Williams... after that, Hollins 15-20 and Mo 10-15.

Al Nolen

It's hard to overstate the importance of an experienced senior point guard. Nolen, at times this year has looked phenomenal, but I think he is largely the same guy we expected - very important defensively and a solid, true point guard who isn't a very good shooter. Al has been to the line a ton so far this year, largely due to a couple of games in Puerto Rico - that FT rate will fall as the season progresses, but hopefully he continues to get plenty of shots from the stripe.

Despite having some stretches of play where he looks like an incredibly improved stud, some of his statistics are actually not trending well compared to past seasons; however, there is no doubt his healthy return is quite important to the team. He is our only true point guard that we want playing meaningful minutes.

Trends - past four season for Nolen:
TO/40 mins: 3.14 (current year), 2.45 (jr), 2.61 (so), 3.22 (fr)
Stl/40: 3.56, 3.76, 2.93, 3.44 (stl/40 only 1.76 excluding the Siena (6 stl in 27 mins) and NDSU (5 in 28)
Ast/40: 5.24, 7.26, 6.54, 6.23
Ast to TO: 1.67, 2.96, 2.51, 1.93

Blake Hoffarber

"Possessing one of the better shots in the nation, Blake Hoffarber will burn you alive if left with any space...
Blake’s offensive rating was the best in the nation and is the team’s highest returning scorer, but he has been somewhat limited in being able to create his own shot. In 2010-11, Hoffarber may need to be a little more aggressive in his shot selection. While the offensive rating may decrease a bit in his senior season, the two-time Espy winner has shown he can make a clutch shot and adding just a touch of “greed” to his game could benefit this team....
...An elite three point shooter and a heady senior that doesn’t make many mistakes on either end of the floor, Hoffarber’s value to this team is substantial...
...Random Fact or Thought: Hoffarber has never attempted more than six free throws in any of his 100+ games.
"

As expected, the offensive rating and shooting percentages are down (see below), but I'm not complaining. In addition to converting treys at a highly respectable 40%, Hoffarber has even showed flashes of swag from inside the arc. In addition to the scoring (a team-leading 14.8 ppg), he's passing the ball to setup teammates, getting rebounds, turning over the opponent and taking care of the ball. Good looking season. A senior leader.

2010-11 figures to date (2009-10 in parenthesis)
Off Rating: 125.8 (131.7)
% of Possessions Used: 19.5% (14.4%)
% of Shots Taken: 24.3% (17.9%)
FG%: 42.4% (49.6%)
3FG%: 40.0% (46.7%)

Effective FG%: 56.8 senior year, 67.3 junior year
True shooting %: 59.5 sr, 68.6 jr

Random Fact or Thought: The most Hoff has been to the line in one game has been 4 times this year.

Ralph Sampson III

"Ralph seems a bit overlooked by some coming into this season, but could prove to be the key piece to a very successful season. At 6’11, he possesses skills to score the basketball on the inside as well a nifty jump shot from 10-15 feet out. After Devoe Joseph, he may be go-to scoring option number two on this squad...
...At times last year he seemed fired up for a moment… but that would only last 20 seconds. I’d like to see a more aggressive and passionate RSIII with some consistency, but it’s not in his character. However, his skills are good enough that he could find himself as an All-Conference player in one of his final two years at the U. I expect Ralph to exceed the expectations of many this season.
"

OK, the All-Conference honors may not come this year... it's really been more of the same - he'll follow up a couple of great games with a real stinker. But, I do still think he's capable of playing at an All-Conference level. He also provides us a big that can step out from under the basket and knock down a jumper, which is not something you want to see coming from Iverson, Mbakwe or Walker (well, Walker shooting a trey is an entertaining sight). I wouldn't mind seeing the offense run through him a little more. At the end of the day, here's a junior center that averages 11.7 ppg and 6.0 rpg. He's going to shoot 50%, he's going to block shots. I'll take it. There is still plenty of upside here - he's an important piece if we want to have a very successful season.

Colton Iverson

"If Iverson can cut down on the turnovers and convert free throws attempts at a non Shaq-like rate (51.7% career FT percentage), he should have a solid year and play an important role on this team. Whether or not he starts, I’d like to see his minutes get into the low 20s per game if he is doing the right things on the court. In 2009-10, his average mpg declined to 16.9 (from 17.7 as a frosh) and he only played in excess of 20 minutes eight times all year (half of those occurring in his four starts… averaged 25.3 as a starter and 15.9 off the bench)."

Colt's another guy that will come through with a double-double one night, then score 0 and grab 3 boards the next. The minutes are down slightly from last year (16.5 vs 16.9) -- I still hope these go up into the low 20s if he starts to play with some consistency. His 6.3 ppg and 5.9 rpg are fine, but inconsistent. Turning the ball over and picking up fouls continue to be an issue. His performances against UNC (7 pts, 11 reb in 13 mins) and WVU (15 pts, 8 reb in 28 mins) were promising, although in those two games he also had a combined 5 turnovers and 8 fouls.

Devoe Joseph

"Nolen should take up the bulk of meaningful point guard minutes, but Joseph may need to fill in if the youngsters are not able to. If healthy, Joseph should average 12 points or better, along with 3 rebs and 3 assists. Although he’s shot under 40% during his Gopher career, he’s a guy I want getting the ball when the team needs to create offense quickly."

Through five games, Joseph is averaging 11.2 ppg, 3.2 apg and 2.0 rpg. At times the decisions while playing the point haven't been inspiring, but hopefully Nolen gets back and Devoe is playing off guard and continuing to look to score. At times he looks like a gunner out there, but that is fine with me - we can use some of that. The 12+ ppg/3rpg/3apg still looks appropriate. Glad to have him back and look forward to some impressive outings during the Big Ten season from Devoe.

Rodney Williams

"Rodney is very impressive to watch because you never know when exactly when a highlight reel move is coming, but you know it’s probably coming soon...
With some space he will make your jaw drop. In a half court set, however, he has a ways to go. I believe he is still another year off before potentially becoming a star in the Big Ten, but he should be an important contributor to this year’s team and will certainly lead the team in highlights.
"

After handing the ball over entirely too much in the first four games (5.05 TO/40 mins), that issue has been cleaned up a bit (2.69 TO/40). It could be an important aspect to his all around game sometime down the line, but for now I wouldn't mind him shying away from the three point shot. Last year, 33% of Williams' shots were from behind the arc and he hit at a 28.6% clip (10/35). This year, 16 of his 55 field goal attempts (29%) are from deep.. he's 2/16 (12.5%).

His performance in the 2nd half of the Akron game was excellent and hopefully he builds on it.

Trevor Mbakwe

"Mbakwe is a man. Physically impressive at 6’8”, 240, he has no problem going to war inside, which he will have to do in the Big Ten. Many of the Gopher faithful seem to have somewhat inflated expectations of Mbakwe, but certainly he will be very good, if not great, this year. 8 points and 5 boards should be attainable and with the bigs on the roster would probably be enough to help the team. However, the potential is there to produce something more in the 12 point, 8 board range this season...
...Don’t expect to see Trevor popping shots from 15+ feet out with any regularity, but he will take the ball to the rim and have some nice outings in the scoring column and he will have some big rebounding nights. In addition, prepare to see some vicious shot blocks from this young man.
"

Mbakwe has been an absolute beast inside... so far, so good/great. But, taking on bad teams with 6'7" centers is one thing.. taking on the frontlines of the
Big Ten is another. Incredible performances, but no double-digit rebounds vs. UNC or WVA. It appears he'll be around the 12 point, 8 board range if not slightly better (currently at 13.7 and 10.5). He also gets an A+ for the yells after dunks and blocks... I don't mind a little emotion at all.. let them know what you just did, big fella.

We don't need to try to expand his game from outside the paint - what he's doing now is working out just fine (61.9 FG%). Mbakwe has been drawing fouls at an impressive rate. The free throw shooting has been poor at 56%, but he's getting to the line almost 8 times per game and we should hope that continues. I believe he shot 67% from the line at Miami Dade two years ago (over 200 attempts) and I'm expecting this percentage to improve over the remainder of the season.

Maurice Walker

"The Canadian takes up a lot of space inside and has the hands that could result in him becoming a solid contributor at this level...In 2010-11, Walker is in a good position in that he can ease into the college game with the roster Minnesota has. I’d be happy with 10 minutes per game where he lays his body on the opposition, tosses in a bucket or two, grabs a couple of boards… all while improving his conditioning and physique over the course of the year."

You can see that Mo possesses basketball skills - he's not just a big body. So far, he's had no problem pulling down offensive rebounds. Nonetheless, he'll need to improve his conditioning to get more minutes now and in the future (averaging 3.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg in 9.5 mpg).

Austin Hollins

"Great length, moves well without the ball and has a knack for getting to the rock before anyone else. In year one, Hollins needs to play consistent basketball and be an all around player - he is capable of doing a number of things well on the court. His Inspector Gadget arms will help on defense and if he can consistently play tough d when subbed into games, he will get his minutes. At times, you’ll see Hollins stroke it from downtown and make some athletic moves at the rim. But what is needed this year is good defense, and few mistakes."

Hollins is getting decent minutes (17.5/g) and is playing some solid defense. Austin had a string of 4 games where he totaled 12 steals, but in the other 7 has just 3 steals combined. With our big men up front, many boards have gone to them, but thus far Hollins rebounding has been nearly nonexistent (1.2/g, season high of 3). You almost have to be trying to avoid to ball to rebound like he has been... but, I'll chalk it up to our bigs and good transition for now. Nearly half of his turnovers came against UNC and WVU and I think he'll experience some growing pains during the conference portion of the schedule. Still, a young man that can play some steady ball for 15 minutes or so a night and a guy that will continue to improve over the years.

Maverick Ahanmisi

"Listed generously at 6’2”, he may see limited action at point guard during portions of the non-conference schedule."

With Devoe and Al out for portions of the year and Tubby's desire to hockey-sub, Maverick has gotten some time (9.3 mpg, including 2 starts). Averaging 1.9 ppg, 1.2 apg, and 1.0 rpg, his highlight film contribution consists of a half-court buzzer beater. Shooting 5/14 (35.7) from the field and averaging 4.7 TO/40 mins, things haven't been good for him on the court, but it hasn't been a disaster either. If someone needs a rest, or there are injuries/other issues, he may need to play... but, I'm not sure he's got more than 5-7 minutes per game coming to him in the Big 10.

Chip Armelin

"Standing about 6’3”, he likes to shoot the ball when on offense. Has good spring to his step and will have his moments against lesser competition in limited minutes this early winter. However, his offensive tendencies may not work well in this offense and unless his defensive play is consistently impressive, I could see him getting a quick hook when he does make appearances in games. True, the Gophers do need go to scorers, but I don’t think Chip is the answer this year...
...At a minimum, a fun player to watch that will occasionally impress during limited appearances… at best, a contributor who adds a scoring punch and aggressiveness on offense.
"

No change to these thoughts. He has impressed occasionally... he does like to shoot the ball (highest percentage of shots taken on the team). He has also gotten the quick hook. Averaging 10.7 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 1.8 rpg... just 4/20 3FG, but is an impressive 16/24 (66.7%) when shooting for 2. A wild man that is fun to watch.. not sure he'll get reigned in enough this year to make a significant impact during the conference games.

The Team

So now what? We're a top 20 team with a brutal start to the conference schedule.

Happy view: We beat the sensational North Carolina Tar Heels and 2011 multi-millionaire Harrison Barnes. We took on Huggy Bear and beat his Final Four team. We lost to Virginia, but their coach has good bloodlines and they are from the ACC. Even when we come out slow, we take care of business late in the game.
Realistic view: We beat an overrated North Carolina team that is now unranked. We beat a team from the Big East that was picked to finished 5th in their conference. Now 5 of the top 9 in the Coaches poll are from the Big East, and WVA isn't even ranked. We lost to a bad team at the Barn. The first half of many games we've looked awful.

This team is... 6-5 against the spread, I believe. Straight up, we are a +1. We're in about the same spot as we were to start the year - should demand that we make it to the tourney. 1st or 2nd place in the Big 10 would be a huge accomplishment. Anywhere 3-6 would be reasonable... 3 would be a nice accomplishment.

The potential for an incredible season is there, however. A tourney team that could start 2 seniors and 3 juniors, with the top 2 coming off the bench consisting of a junior center and a sophomore that some think will be playing in the NBA soon... plus, another beefy center available in case one of the other bigs gets into trouble. Doesn't look too awful.

Free Throws

Overall, free throws have been a positive. Getting to the line greatly improves a team's point per possession (by approx 40%) and the Gophers have been phenomenal. The Gophers FTA/FGA is 50.2%. That puts us up with the highest in the nation... the average being 38%. Yes - we are shooting 62.5% from the line - but getting there outweighs that. In my extremely limited time playing in high school, I shot 86% (mostly because I was well rested from being on the bench most of the game) and always was upset with any missed free throw - the word free is in the damn name! But, the average free throw % in D1 tends to be about 69%. So we're off 6.5% from the average (and 7.5% from last season). We have 309 FTA this year.. 6.5% x 309 = 20 additional points if we had converted the average percentage of free throws (ignoring a small adjustment for front ends)... 20 / 11 games = less than 2 points per game.

Missed free throws are very upsetting to me, but it's not something I am going to freak out about and worry about when it comes to the team's future. It will improve some. But, more importantly, we need to keep getting to the line.

What is the answer to help with free throws? Toughen up. I wouldn't spend much, if any, of the allotted practice time shooting free throws. These kids can work on that on their own time. If there is some significant mechanical issue - then sure, deal with that. If you want to bring in a psychic or something, go ahead... but, don't stand around and have kids shoot free throws. They need to get mentally tough and handle their biz on the court. Bad free throw shooting can get contagious - because of the mental aspects. Get out there and make your shots, fellas.

By the way, our opposition's FTA/FGA against us has been just 29.7%.

Care About the Ball

The Gophers turnover percent is about 21.1%, which is the D1 average. We can't be average. Not with a team that can't force the issue on offense. The sad thing is our best performance in this regard was against Virginia. Against the tougher competition (UNC and WVA) we were poor.. likewise, we had issues against EKU and Akron. This needs to be improved. Assists to turnovers.. on the year, 1.13.. only two games under 1.00.. UNC .68 and WVA .77. Be scared.

Offensive Rebounding

A bright spot and it should be, both based on our personnel and the competition to date. At 38.9%, our offensive rebounding percentage is one of the better ones in the nation and plenty higher than the average 32.8%. Only two times this year have we been below the 32.8% average - vs. WVU (31.2%) and the loss to Virginia (28.6%). We've been strong, but really need to continue to be.

Defense

I would have liked to have seen more turnovers forced.. currently our D TO rate is at 21.7% vs. the 21.1% average.

From three-point range, opponents are shooting 36.7% compared to an average of 34.0%... combined with the fact that a very high percent of shots taken (39.2 3FG/FGA - one of the highest in the nation; average is 32.9%) by our foes are from deep, this becomes concerning. We know it's coming, but aren't doing a good job at combating it.
It does come with the territory (i.e., our primary defense and personnel), but I do hope we can get creative in addressing some of the defensive concerns.

On the other hand, from inside the arc they've got no chance. Opponents are shooting just 40.4% compared to an avearge of 47.4%.

I will promise with 95% certainty that the Gophers finish the season with a recor [Out of time... gotta wrap it up here]

Did you fall asleep before finishing your post?

I actually read, and enjoyed, the whole thing... and then it just stops mid-sentence.

This is even worse than the cliffhanger that ALF ended on.

...Not that I'd know anything about that.

Ha.. glad you were able to make it through the babble... I actually had to wrap things up as Marquette's game was about to start (just finished - a 102-77 over Miss. Valley State and FOT's boy Sean Woods -- Woods coaches them, he's the guy that made a huge shot for KY just before Chrissy Laettner hit THAT shot to ruin it).

I liked the idea of a pretend cutoff more than the normal 'gotta run'.

Holy Jesus Martha. The OP was a good read until I fell asleep because my beer went dksltrueporiuc nndoiuwo97 empty and I was too damned lazy to go ;lkfhrc cihrgi gkjvcnv get a new one. djkf;laweiuab c;efeiohiexf ;dkjfhrpiehaeid $hit, I am sorry. dkfjoier cgr;dihx.m,cfroiyhfidckmn Damn I hate it when qeow4itychr igdifhdifjk my face falls into my keyboard.

@ Gopher Warrior: Wow. Impressive writeup. Anyway... a few thoughts/responses

1) I agree that we're nowhere near as deep as everyone seems to think right now. I think Hollins will be the only freshman seeing more than 10 minutes a game. Which brings me to my next thought... do you really think Walker will/should play 10/15 minutes a game in the BT? He's played well so far and seems to be a very smart player, but I just don't see him getting that many minutes in close games unless we're in some really serious foul trouble. Not to be really negative, but do you see him being very effective in conference?

2) You mention Hoffarber needing to be more aggressive in his shot selection and be more greedy... do you not think he's done that so far? Just curious, because I definitely think he has. He's been shooting a lot in general which has led to a lower percentage. He's certainly taken way more twos than we're used to seeing, and many of them have been off the dribble. I love the pullup/fadeaway he's been doing.

3) Do you really think that Williams can potentially be a BT star next year? I know "potentially" is key, but I'm still surprised to read that. Do you think he will actually be a star next year?

4) Has Trevor been better than you expected so far?

5) Thank you for the free throw part. Yes, our ft shooting has been very poor (although I think it will improve some), but people have freaked out way too much about that. As I like to say about once a week, it's better to be a poor ft shooting team that gets to the line a ton than a great ft shooting team that rarely draws fouls.

Ha.. glad you were able to make it through the babble... I actually had to wrap things up as Marquette's game was about to start (just finished - a 102-77 over Miss. Valley State and FOT's boy Sean Woods -- Woods coaches them, he's the guy that made a huge shot for KY just before Chrissy Laettner hit THAT shot to ruin it).

UK fans like to say that Laettner's shot was lucky but no more than Woods' shot. The bank was definitely open that night.

He hit a runner from the FT line that banked in to put UK up 103-102 before Laettner's dagger.

Woods http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Players/Woods_Sean.html came to UK in 1988 as a package deal with Shawn Kemp but he never lasted a full semester at UK.

@ Gopher Warrior: Wow. Impressive writeup. Anyway... a few thoughts/responses

Thanks for the response. I made a quick edit to the original post to highlight something that might not be clear - the discussion in italics are from my post before the season started...

1) I'd agree with you on Hollins being the frosh that gets more than 10. I can see Mo getting around 10 minutes in conference play and I think he'll have stretches where he looks pretty good. He'll be able to help in certain scenarios.

2) Yes - I added the italics comments based on your comments here. Before the season started I was saying Hoffarber should be more aggressive offensively and that some of his offensive metrics (ORtg, shooting %'s, etc) would drop from his junior year, but that would be OK. He's done what I thought he should do (and the metrics have declined) and it's been great to see.

3) My comment from before the season started that, "I believe he is still another year off before potentially becoming a star in the Big Ten" meant that in 2010-11 I didn't think there was a chance he'd be a star in the Big Ten (despite the hype from some). In his junior year is there really the potential to become a top Big Ten player? Sure. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but he'll continue to improve and the potential is there.

4) Yes, Trevor has been a little better than I expected. Not a lot -- but the aggressiveness and rebounding has been even stronger than I was expecting out of the gate -- but I do want to see him against some better and bigger competition. It'll be fun -- he's certainly not going to back down from anyone.

5) Yes - getting to the line is key. Free throws are also something that aren't so easy to 'fix'. "We need to improve at the line" -- How are you going to become a better free throw shooting team in a week? The individual players need to use their confidence and mental toughness and they will shoot better.

I am very worried about this team compared to where I was at the beginning of the season. Defensive intensity is just not there in the half court when Nolen is out and we have played to the level of the opponent. Games we should win by thirty we win by ten.

This is a team with enough talent to finish 2 or 3 in the B10. The problem is that too often people like Sampson, Williams and Iverson disappear while on the court. If each player had the intensity of Mbakwe and a healthy Nolen we would be a top 10 team. Unfortunately too many are too damned laid back.

I hope I'm wrong but right now I think we are the most over rated team in the Big 10. I just don't see any consistent killer in us. We get it against UNC and WVA, but the great teams have it against South Dakota, too.

I am very worried about this team compared to where I was at the beginning of the season. Defensive intensity is just not there in the half court when Nolen is out and we have played to the level of the opponent. Games we should win by thirty we win by ten.

This is a team with enough talent to finish 2 or 3 in the B10. The problem is that too often people like Sampson, Williams and Iverson disappear while on the court. If each player had the intensity of Mbakwe and a healthy Nolen we would be a top 10 team. Unfortunately too many are too damned laid back.

I hope I'm wrong but right now I think we are the most over rated team in the Big 10. I just don't see any consistent killer in us. We get it against UNC and WVA, but the great teams have it against South Dakota, too.

You're describing a team where coaching might really make a difference. That's why I'm taking the optimistic view. For all of the bitching people do about our half-court offense, our defending the 3, and his substitutions, I think most of us see Tubby as a really good coach. There are a lot of good parts on this team and Tubby should be able to figure out how to get the most out of them. I see us gradually improving and becoming a really solid team by the end of the year. I also think right when the conference season starts you're going to see a lot more focus, both from the players and the coaches.

That said, we're not a great team now and don't really believe we ever will be. The main part we don't have is that elite player that most great teams have. There's no Kalin Lucas or Evan Turner on this team to put us on his back when we really need it.

Wow, well done. Enjoyable read and killed quite a bit of time at work so I always appreciate that. I think your take on almost everything (especially free throws and Mo Walker) is spot on. I have been and will continue to be a huge fan of Big Mo as I think he will be a very solid 4 year contributor to the Gophers. His footwork is excellent and he is very large man. Not to mention he should get more athletic as he gets older and is on a D1 workout program.

My only problem with your post and a few of the responses is the kudos being given to Blake. I have been critical of him on this site even though I recognize his insane value as a floor stretching pure shooter unlike any Gopher in my memory (I only go back to the mid 90's, sorry). In the non-conference he is a dominant player because athletically he matches up well with those teams. In the B10 he changes his game and is not aggressive enough. It would do wonders to see him pump fake and take a couple dribbles and hit pull up jumpers or runners once in a while. Has he changed his game so that will happen in the B10? Possibly, but I dont want to bet on it.

Other than that I have no complaints with anything that you said. The best point I have read on this site is your breakdown of the free throws and how many points per game it cost the Gophers. Keep in mind that getting that many free throws is invaluable because it gets the opposing teams in foul trouble and no team I have seen has the bigs to match-up with ours, especially when they are in foul trouble.

Love the writeup and actually agree with almost everything; very balanced view. One thing I'll disagree on is the "at the end of the day Ralph is an 11.7ppg, 6.0rpg forward" statement. That's a pretty empty number if you ask me, with three 19+ point games against pretty bad teams. Against far superior opponents he's been missing from the game both figuratively and literally (12 points against UNC, but fouled out), and hasn't been there for the team during crunch time, including rather pathetic performances against WVU and UVA.

Hoping that he finds himself for the conference season, but at this point it's hard to see him moving past the lackadaisical, hit-and-miss type player we've seen for three years.

It is a bit hard to imagine that GW likes cute gimmicks. :D Just kiddin'. I like the idea.

A great piece of writing. Please, keep it going throughout the season.

Love the writeup and actually agree with almost everything; very balanced view. One thing I'll disagree on is the "at the end of the day Ralph is an 11.7ppg, 6.0rpg forward" statement. That's a pretty empty number if you ask me, with three 19+ point games against pretty bad teams. Against far superior opponents he's been missing from the game both figuratively and literally (12 points against UNC, but fouled out), and hasn't been there for the team during crunch time, including rather pathetic performances against WVU and UVA.

Hoping that he finds himself for the conference season, but at this point it's hard to see him moving past the lackadaisical, hit-and-miss type player we've seen for three years.

If we can just keep Ralph 2.0 away from Ralph 3.0's games things should be ok.

My only problem with your post and a few of the responses is the kudos being given to Blake. I have been critical of him on this site even though I recognize his insane value as a floor stretching pure shooter unlike any Gopher in my memory (I only go back to the mid 90's, sorry). In the non-conference he is a dominant player because athletically he matches up well with those teams. In the B10 he changes his game and is not aggressive enough.

If you look at his game by game statistics, he has actually played better against better competition this year. He had 16 against WKU, 20 against UNC, 12 against WVU and 19 against Virginia. He averages 16.75 ppg against those teams compared to 14.8 overall. You may have been correct in previous years that he scored a lot points against bad teams, but that just isn't the case this year.

GW

Great post.

:clap::clap::clap:

This seems obvious but I would add something about our free throw performance. As much as we, mostly Trevor, get to the line means somebody on that other team is getting into foul trouble and may have to sit a while and/or play more cautiously.

It can be a huge factor late in games. Still, it can be painful sometimes watching our lads toss up bricks and rim rattlers.

One thing we all know is when Trevor gets the ball he is heading for the basket and I can't wait to see how it shakes out against conference foes.

Again, :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks for responding. I was pretty out of it when I read your post but by the end I kind of realized that you had posted thoughts from earlier in the year. I originally thought that from the quotes but then the stats and more recent stuff mixed in through me off haha. Anyway, I enjoyed the writeup. I can't really disagree with anything you wrote. Hopefully we turn out to be wrong about the depth of the team but I don't see more than 7 players getting significant minutes.

Thanks for the response. I made a quick edit to the original post to highlight something that might not be clear - the discussion in italics are from my post before the season started...

1) I'd agree with you on Hollins being the frosh that gets more than 10. I can see Mo getting around 10 minutes in conference play and I think he'll have stretches where he looks pretty good. He'll be able to help in certain scenarios.

2) Yes - I added the italics comments based on your comments here. Before the season started I was saying Hoffarber should be more aggressive offensively and that some of his offensive metrics (ORtg, shooting %'s, etc) would drop from his junior year, but that would be OK. He's done what I thought he should do (and the metrics have declined) and it's been great to see.

3) My comment from before the season started that, "I believe he is still another year off before potentially becoming a star in the Big Ten" meant that in 2010-11 I didn't think there was a chance he'd be a star in the Big Ten (despite the hype from some). In his junior year is there really the potential to become a top Big Ten player? Sure. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but he'll continue to improve and the potential is there.

4) Yes, Trevor has been a little better than I expected. Not a lot -- but the aggressiveness and rebounding has been even stronger than I was expecting out of the gate -- but I do want to see him against some better and bigger competition. It'll be fun -- he's certainly not going to back down from anyone.

5) Yes - getting to the line is key. Free throws are also something that aren't so easy to 'fix'. "We need to improve at the line" -- How are you going to become a better free throw shooting team in a week? The individual players need to use their confidence and mental toughness and they will shoot better.

Eight players should see significant minutes. The starters, plus Devoe, Colton, and Austin. Maurice, Chip, and Maverick will fill in where they can.....

You're right. I'm not used to having Nolen and Devoe play at the same time. 8 players will get significant minutes. I think Maverick won't really see the court other than blowouts. I'd like to see Chip get a little more of a chance but I don't see him playing much either. He's just too inconsistent and Tubby gets pissed when he looks for his shot too often.

Eight players should see significant minutes. The starters, plus Devoe, Colton, and Austin. Maurice, Chip, and Maverick will fill in where they can.....

Top Bottom