my rant for the day

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
why in the f is SDSU ranked 7th in the nation, congrats you beat an overrated gonzaga by 3, who im pretty sure isnt even ranked anymore, and then you beat a bunch of nobodys. the worst thing is that they might go undeafeated until the ncaa tourney. little conferences suck. look at boise state and TCU in football, almost unchallenged.. that is all. if you would like to add why SDSU sucks for playing nobody and being ranked top 10, please feel free.

couldnt agree with you more go gophs.
SDSU should maybe be ranked number 24 or 25 because their undefeated.
They are not a top ten team.

What is your solution? Should only teams from major conferences be ranked? What about Central Florida? Or Butler last year? Should they be/have been ranked? Is it written in stone that a team sucks simply because it plays in a smaller conference? And even if a league does suck, doesn't the possibility still exist that a really good team can come from a "sucky" conference?

The best thing about college basketball rankings -- unlike football -- is that they mean absolutely nothing. San Diego State will get a chance to prove itself during the Mountain West regular season & tournament, then presumably in the NCAA Tournament.

Until then, I kind of like it when there are undefeated teams this late in the season (there are currently 9), no matter what conference they come from. It adds a little extra oomph to the season. ... how long can teams stay undefeated?

The best thing about college basketball rankings -- unlike football -- is that they mean absolutely nothing. San Diego State will get a chance to prove itself during the Mountain West regular season & tournament, then presumably in the NCAA Tournament.

Exactly. I actually think the selection committee has done a nice job over the years of evaluating the mid-majors and their seeds, so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point with if they are going to get a #1 or #2 seed. The numbers (RPI, SOS) usually sort themselves out.

the worst thing is that they might go undeafeated until the ncaa tourney.

If SDSU goes undefeated through the MWC schedule, they will be very deserving of a Top 10 ranking and a probable Top 3 seed.

look at boise state and TCU in football, almost unchallenged.

Yeah...except for that little part where Boise St. lost.

if you would like to add why SDSU sucks for playing nobody and being ranked top 10, please feel free

Like Hodger already said, poll rankings are meaningless in college basketball. I mean, really...who gives a sh*t?

why in the f is SDSU ranked 7th in the nation, congrats you beat an overrated gonzaga by 3, who im pretty sure isnt even ranked anymore, and then you beat a bunch of nobodys. the worst thing is that they might go undeafeated until the ncaa tourney. little conferences suck. look at boise state and TCU in football, almost unchallenged.. that is all. if you would like to add why SDSU sucks for playing nobody and being ranked top 10, please feel free.

Be careful - TCU may roll over Wisky.

Like Hodger already said, poll rankings are meaningless in college basketball. I mean, really...who gives a sh*t?
Can't agree.

Rankings DO make a difference in college basketball, if anything to generate publicity/attention for the school --> more publicity (ESPN shows highlights of the Top 25 ranked team's games, and usually doesn't for any non-ranked teams) --> excited fan base (fans get more excited about ranked teams) --> more revenue (more people attending games, more advertising) --> etc.

It's a domino effect. If teams are ranked, more fans, recruits, etc. can watch the games (typically ranked teams are televised more often), more excitement around the team, and recruits get excited about the program, just like their fans.

If you don't think certain star basketball and football are considering schools like Gonzaga, Baylor, and Kansas State in basketball and Boise State, Oregon, Nevada, in football more than they were 5-7 years ago, you're crazy.

Like or not, rankings DO matter in collegiate sports. Hell, like it or not, rankings matter in nearly anything, if anything because a huge chunk of the population makes decisions based on them (what car to buy, what college to attend, etc.).

dpodoll: ...poll rankings are meaningless in college basketball. I mean, really...who gives a sh*t?

The ones who give a Sh*t are the novices that really know nothing except stats. I care that the Gophers are a ranked team, but that is all. As far as the rest??? who gives a sh*t!!!!

dpodoll: ...poll rankings are meaningless in college basketball. I mean, really...who gives a sh*t?

The ones who give a Sh*t are the novices that really know nothing except stats. I care that the Gophers are a ranked team, but that is all. As far as the rest??? who gives a sh*t!!!!

DR Don,

You don't have to be so PC. Tell us how you really feel. :cool:

The only reason to care about rankings right now is because it is something to debate in this lull between the good early tourney's and conference schedules.

San Diego State is a very, very good team. Go ahead and watch some of these "small conference teams" once in a while. You might be surprised.

oh i know they're good and worthy of a top 25 appearance, but 7th in the nation? really? common sense.

Common sense then would say there's no way Butler could have gotten to the national championship game.

Novices and those who eat a lot of fiber :rolleyes: you should know Doc.

Obviously the polls are a lot more important in football, but to say they're meaningless in basketball is completely false.

There is always 1 or 2 teams that are overrated this time of the year. Teams are considered top 25 preseason, win 7 or 8 straight and they jump into the top 15 (in this case 10). Do I look at the polls every Monday? Of course but not so I can see who the best teams are. As was discussed in a different thread this week there is little difference between the #20 and #40 team in the country. The nice thing is 64...oops 65...wait, 68 teams get into the increasingly bigger dance and then anything can happen.

Top Bottom