Florida Gators a head-scratcher

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Hard to figure out the Gators. Coming off an impressive win in which they out-toughed K-State, the Gators followed up today with a 71-68 overtime home loss to Jacksonville.

Certainly a let-down game played in front of a less-then-full house I'm sure. But still no excuse for losing to Jacksonville. To lose two in-state games and have neither of them be to FSU or Miami is not good.

More of a headscratcher is what happened after back to back national titles? They have been a shell of their former selves. Couple that with the football team falling apart, their coach retiring for the 2nd time in 2 years, and you have a school that's looking lost. Traditionally, the SEC hasn't been that hard to win in. Kentucky and Florida usually have it their way. It would be interesting to go read their Gator board to see if Donovan is being questioned by the fan base. As I've said with Lucia, back to back national titles get you a lot of grace years in my book...

More of a headscratcher is what happened after back to back national titles? They have been a shell of their former selves. Couple that with the football team falling apart, their coach retiring for the 2nd time in 2 years, and you have a school that's looking lost. Traditionally, the SEC hasn't been that hard to win in. Kentucky and Florida usually have it their way. It would be interesting to go read their Gator board to see if Donovan is being questioned by the fan base. As I've said with Lucia, back to back national titles get you a lot of grace years in my book...

Florida is and always will be a football school. The back-to-back teams were the exception, not the new norm. That said, Florida will be a solid top 25 team and easily make the tournament. Billy's whole 'I'm going to the NBA, wait I'm not' fiasco set the program back a couple years to be sure. What is it with coaches winning titles and Florida and then wanting out?

Florida was a borderline NCAA tourney team last year, has basically the same team back. Probably will be in the 7-10 seed range this year - they aren't good enough to just roll the ball out and win, but when they're focused, they can put together a great game and beat some good teams. I'd say they're going to be one of the more maddeningly inconsistent teams out there - if Boynton is on, they are dangerous; if they come out flat, they're not.

SS: "Florida Gators a head-scratcher".

Glad you did not refer to the Gators as ball-scratchers!!!

Top Bottom