Player Grades

march madness

Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to give your opinion on player grades. For the year so far, against Illinois, and what you expect for the rest of the year!

Nolan- B so far this year. Pos: ballhandling,drive and dish, defense, rebounding. Neg: feeding the post and finishing drives. B+ against Illinois for his defense. Neg: was his post passing. And I think, we can expect a B for the rest of the year. I hope for more consistency.

Westbrook- A- for the year, steady and aggressive. A against Illinois, icewater in his veins. A for the rest of the year and hoping for all-conference team mentions.

Johnson- B+ for his defense and passing. A against Illinois, totally shut down his man. B+ for the rest of the year. Awesome defense, understanding of the game, and toughness for 200lb 4-man.

Sampson-A considering he's a freshman and getting better every game. A against Illinois, showed high post passing skills this game. A the rest of the year. All rookie team. Future star if he can put on 25 pounds. Great basketball IQ, great shotblocker, fine passer.

Iverson-B Now that we are looking inside he is playing better. A against Illinois and their skinny frontcourt. B+ for the rest of the year. We need his size and aggressiveness on the floor. No more Carter at center please!

Shamala-B+ An improved driving game. A- solid against Illinois. B+ the rest of the year. His leadership is really showing. He doesn't mope!

Carter-B+ Positives:defense and rebounding. Negatives: outside shot, ballhandling. B against Illinois. A- for the rest of the year. I wish he would get more of Hoffarber's minutes until the Hoff finds his shot again. Has rare athleticism and could be great player by his senior year with some added weight.

Hoffarber-C positives:Solid rebounding. Neg:Outside shot is MIA, his calling card. B against Illinois for solid play. C+ for the rest of the year, unless the shot returns.

Joseph-B Pos:playing out of position at point and doing admirably. B against Illinois for hitting some shots and getting the offense moving. B for the rest of the year. I think he will move back to SG next year if the newcomer doesnt redshirt. He likes to shoot more than set people up.

Bostick- C Pos: Outside shooting and driving. Neg: Defense and basketball IQ. C against Illinois in limited minutes. C+ for the rest of the year. Will occassionaly provide an offensive spark of the bench. Afraid he may get lost in the shuffle next year. Sounds like White is Division 1 ready and Williams is more athletic than Carter.

I have the feeling one of these wings needs to redshirt next season. I am so excited for the rest of this year and our future. Next year, we could have a team as talented as our '97 final four team. We just need some muscle and a little experience.

It's always interesting to see how these analyses change from week to week, based on the previous night's game. Why don't we wait until the end of the year to make a call on everyone...these weekly grades based on recency just get old. Or at least go put the grades in the same thread where it was started a couple of days ago.

Damien, A+, his all around game and incredible defense is so key. He doesn't score a ton, but he is our glue guy.

Good post marchmadness......I guess we can call this the mid-term report card.

Sampson/Iverson - A. Must grade on a curve (Freshman). Can't overlook the blocked shots and their physical and mental effect on a game.

Busch - A. Vs. expectations. He won the Louisville game for us.

Nolen, Johnson, Joseph, Carter - B

Hoffarber, Abu-Shamala - C. Hoffarber is off, but he makes defenses work and scramble to defend him.

Bostick - D

Tubby - Nobel Peace Prize. He won't win them all, but I think we all have seen that he will have his team focused and properly prepared and playing defense.

Top Bottom