Jumped in Rankings

Gotta play like it now!

I thought Tennessee would have dropped further (but stayed ranked) after that ugly performance against Charlotte...

Enjoy it now, they probably won't be ranked in three weeks. Hopefully they will be 3-2 or 2-3 at worst to start the big ten. Come mid season they will be ranked again.

I love Gopher Basketball on a par with life itself, but I'll be the first to admit that this team is overrated in the polls. Sagarin's computer has us at #38, which seems about right.

Now they can proceed to prove me wrong by winning one or two of those road games to start the conference sched.

I'd like to know what 37 teams you think are better. I really hope they aren't the ones that Sagarin calculated...

I love Gopher Basketball on a par with life itself, but I'll be the first to admit that this team is overrated in the polls. Sagarin's computer has us at #38, which seems about right.

Now they can proceed to prove me wrong by winning one or two of those road games to start the conference sched.

I'd like to know what 37 teams you think are better. I really hope they aren't the ones that Sagarin calculated...

There's not a very big difference between teams 17 and 37 in the country. The Gophers deserve to be ranked where they are, but it's not like they're miles ahead of teams in the 30-40 range. That's the beauty of college basketball. Illinois was certainly one of the best 50 teams in the country last year, but they didn't win enough games to make the tourney. There's a difference between where you are ranked and how good of a team you are.

All true. I don't know if we are as good as we're ranked but we're certainly better than 38th.

There's not a very big difference between teams 17 and 37 in the country. The Gophers deserve to be ranked where they are, but it's not like they're miles ahead of teams in the 30-40 range. That's the beauty of college basketball. Illinois was certainly one of the best 50 teams in the country last year, but they didn't win enough games to make the tourney. There's a difference between where you are ranked and how good of a team you are.

Enjoy it now, they probably won't be ranked in three weeks. Hopefully they will be 3-2 or 2-3 at worst to start the big ten. Come mid season they will be ranked again.

I agree with your statement about how tough the schedule is, but I think if we come out of that stretch 3-2 we might stay ranked depending on which two we lose. After that five game stretch we gotta keep pushing, not many gimmes in the BIG this year.

kenpom has us at 51.

really, we're a top 15 team talent wise...... we just cant shoot free throws or defend the 3. when we fix that...

Also have to keep in mind we've yet to play a game with our entire lineup.

kenpom has us at 51.

really, we're a top 15 team talent wise...... we just cant shoot free throws or defend the 3. when we fix that...

When we have the full complement, that's what will give the Gophs a chance to defend its top-20 ranking.

In the meantime, I'll stand by my premise that this team's performances against clubs like Winona State, Siena and EKU are about what I'd expect from a #38 team.

In the meantime, I'll stand by my premise that this team's performances against clubs like Winona State, Siena and EKU are about what I'd expect from a #38 team.

Winona doesn't count.

Why leave out the second half vs. UVA? That was the real stinker.

I think the way the Gophers are playing right now they are overrated, especially since that win vs UNC looks worse every week but at the same time we have been without Joseph or Nolen the entire season and Tubby likes to shorten the bench in big games. We will see less of certain guys and more of others which usually leads to a better overall performance from the squad. If he played his usual shifts @ Michigan St. I would be concerned. If he plays the best players and the guys who are playing well together for extended periods of time they can beat anyone.

It would be HUGE to win the first few B10 games and get off to a hot start. Make some teams chase us for once

Winona doesn't count.

Why leave out the second half vs. UVA? That was the real stinker.

Actually, a #38 ranked team should have been able to hold a 13-point second half lead at home against Virginia. Agreed, that's the real stinker.

Not trying to badmouth the Gophs. The hope is that their best days are ahead. It's just that they haven't been overly impressive for their hype. They haven't beaten Alabama State 114-34 or anything like that.

Top Bottom