Look out! Michigan is good...

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Just kicked a very good Oakland team to the curb. Unlike the Gophers, these guys destroy weaker competition too. Certainly not going to be two easy wins this season like many people thought two months ago!
BTW-Northwestern will compete for a top 5 finish in the league.
Should be fun boys...

They caught Oakland at a good time. They'll still probably come in around 7-11 or 6-12

Michigan looked terrible the previous two games. Northwestern has played no one. They can score, but defense has always been the issue. I'll believe it when I see it.

Was UTEP weaker competition? The Wolverines certainly did not destroy them, or Harvard for that matter. The reality is every team has some games where they don't play their best or plays down to their competition - the level of focus, energy and intensity varies from game to game for each team.

UM is certainly better than most people gave them credit for in the preseason. But that doesn't mean they're going to make the NCAA tourney. They have a good record, but probably still don't have a single win against a team that will get an at-large berth in the NCAA tourney - there are a lot of teams like that this time of year. It doesn't really mean anything how many points you beat non-NCAA tourney at-large teams (the category Oakland is almost certainly in) by so long as you win.

It's hard to gauge how the teams in the middle of the Big Ten are going to shake out, but UM could be right there with several other teams.

I think it's difficult to gauge how good Oakland really is. Other than two great games in a row, their results aren't that impressive. I don't think Michigan will have a chance at finishing higher than 8, just behind Northwestern.

Michigan & Indiana

I would put Michigan in the category of "most likely to surprise" among the 4 teams expected to finish at the bottom (Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State) of the Big Ten. I've been pleasantly surprised by Big Blue.

Indiana, maybe, but it's difficult to gauge the Hoosiers with the marshamallow soft nonconference schedule they've played. We'll know a little more about IU after they play UNI (Wednesday) and perhaps New Mexico (Thursday) in the Las Vagas Classic. Certainly if the Hoosiers are any good they should beat UNI, a decent (but nowhere near as good as last season) team. New Mexico, now with the services of former UCLA Bruin Drew Gordon, would be a bigger test.

Michigan looked terrible the previous two games. Northwestern has played no one. They can score, but defense has always been the issue. I'll believe it when I see it.

They really did. I was about to start a new post saying that we should be able to beat Michigan by 50 points this year. They were really bad. I thing that IU will do better than them.

Go Gophers

There certainly aren't to be many gimmies in Big Ten play are there? Maybe the home games PSU and Iowa? That's about it, I'd say.

It seems like we always struggle against michigan no matter how good they are. I no longer consider any michigan game an easy W.

It seems like we always struggle against michigan no matter how good they are. I no longer consider any michigan game an easy W.

In any year Michigan will be a match up problem for the Gophers based on style alone. We are not set up to guard the three, and their whole offense is gunning threes. Terrible match up. We need to figure out how to guard the three and hope they are off in their shooting. The Wolverines have provided some of the most devestating losses of the last two years. Count me worried no matter what the talent differential might be.

I would put Michigan in the category of "most likely to surprise" among the 4 teams expected to finish at the bottom (Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Penn State) of the Big Ten. I've been pleasantly surprised by Big Blue.

Indiana, maybe, but it's difficult to gauge the Hoosiers with the marshamallow soft nonconference schedule they've played. We'll know a little more about IU after they play UNI (Wednesday) and perhaps New Mexico (Thursday) in the Las Vagas Classic. Certainly if the Hoosiers are any good they should beat UNI, a decent (but nowhere near as good as last season) team. New Mexico, now with the services of former UCLA Bruin Drew Gordon, would be a bigger test.

I think I may slither down to The Orleans and check out the Hoosiers tomorrow night. I was interested in going but wasn't sure if I would actually go out of my way to buy tickets, etc. but last night I won a pair of tickets for Wednesday's games while I was out at Monday Night Football with the local radio station. Price is right so I think I'll go and check out the Hoosiers game (4:30pm local time) and maybe even some of the New Mexico - Colorado game afterwards.

Might be hard for me to find somebody locally who would actually care about Indiana - UNI enough to go with me.

Top Bottom