Time for opinions on being ranked.

Dr.Don

Reaction score
As most of us know, the Gophers are ranked #24 on ESPN/COACHES poll, and just out of the top 25 (actually #27) in AP Writers poll. What are your thoughts on the new rankings that will come out after this week is complete. If memory serves, polls are released on Mondays, after Sunday games.

I'll try this: In ESPN, we move up to #19
In AP, we move back into the top 25 at about 21.

Only ranking that matters

Is the one after the NC game is played. And the only thing that matter is being the NC.

Thanks Truth, that added to the thread. Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God basketball has a tourney. The polls are so effed up in basketball.

I expect us to be 20-22 in both polls.

It won't mattter much.........

if we don't win one of those two road games, we'll drop back out, but I would expect something around 20ish this week.

All I know is if Georgetown is still ranked after this weekend, mankind has no chance.

All I know is if Georgetown is still ranked after this weekend, mankind has no chance.

In bizzaro AP world anything can happen. And they are probably indifferent to mankind's prospects in any event.

Toast too, should be KY, WA & St. M.

We should top IL and maybe even Syracuse (probably won't happen). Interesting if Michy can beat Purdue (won't happen) it would be hard to rank them above us. I suppose ND stays above us.

But again, it's AP bizzaro world.

Net of the above - the Doctor is right on the AP. We're at 21. I don't think we quite make 19 in the Coaches poll though.

Look at what has happened so far this weekend. Some ranked teams losing, some winning, some unranked losing, some unranked winning. I still think (opinion only) that we will be "about" 21 in AP, 19 in Coaches polls. Time will tell.

Now a few will say being ranked means nothing, don't tell the players and coaches that. It DOES mean alot to them, therefore it means alot to me.

It's called "MOTIVATION".

The media seems to pay much more attention to a team when it is ranked. ESPN will continually give you the scores of the top 25 while other teams are almost ignored.

In bizzaro AP world anything can happen. And they are probably indifferent to mankind's prospects in any event.

Toast too, should be KY, WA & St. M.

We should top IL and maybe even Syracuse (probably won't happen). Interesting if Michy can beat Purdue (won't happen) it would be hard to rank them above us. I suppose ND stays above us.

But again, it's AP bizzaro world.

Net of the above - the Doctor is right on the AP. We're at 21. I don't think we quite make 19 in the Coaches poll though.

Notre Dame, Georgetown, St. Marys, Illinois (pending their game with Iowa), and Kentucky should all be out. Washington should be in because they beat #14 Arizona State in Tempe yesterday (although losing 101-99 in Tucson on thursday might enter the equation). Florida shouldn't be getting votes after getting undressed in Knoxville (Billy Donovan is back to pre-Iron Five form).

Gonna be a big traffic jam in the high teens & low 20s tomorrow. Gophers, Washington, Texas (loses at home to an awful K-State), Kansas, Mizzou, and Syracuse, among others.

That brings up an interesting point FoT. I'm interested if we can name the 12 active that matter.

1. Tubby
2. Coach K
3. Roy Williams
4. Gary Williams
5. Billy Donovan
6. Jim Behiem
7. Jim Calhoun
8. Bill Self
9. Tom Izzo
10. Rick Patino?

I'm not sure about Patino. Also maybe the guy you was at Arkansas when they won it all back in the early 90's. But I think is gone because of scandel. Can anyone else come up the last 2-3.

John Calipari, Ben Howland, Bo Ryan (as much as we don't want to admit it), maybe throw Rick Barnes in as well.

1. Tubby
2. Coach K
3. Roy Williams
4. Gary Williams
5. Billy Donovan
6. Jim Boehiem
7. Jim Calhoun
8. Bill Self
9. Tom Izzo
10. Rick Pitino
11. Steve Fisher (Michigan, now at San Diego State)

I can't come up with the last one...I'm not sure there is one, but prove me wrong. Unless you're counting coaches who have BEEN in the NC game, then you add John Calipari, Paul Hewitt, Thad Matta, Ben Howland, Mike Davis, and Rick Majarus.

Top Bottom