Andre 12-17-2010 Joe 12-18-2010 have games

Andre just texted me. He had 33 points in a 69-56 win. He said that it was great to have Coach Smith there.

Chris has Andre said anything about all our snow, the Dome collapse and-or the Vikes playing at the Bank? Thanks

Spartans run away from Ridgeway
Johnson grabs 17 rebounds, Hollins scores 33 to spark White Station
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/18/spartans-run-away-from-ridgeway/

Box link at bottom
Game #13 @ The Spartan Palace December 17, 2010

White Station 68 Ridgeway 56

Ridgeway: Cameron Golden-10, Greg Pryor-6, Marvin Smith-1,
Adam Weary-13, K. Flemming-11, B. Lewis-5, T. Triplett-4, D.
Dockery-6.
White Station: Tevin Gates-3, Davell Roby-3, William Woodfork-2,
Andre Hollins-33, Nino Johnson-13, Rodriguez Tucker-7, Marvin
Williams-5, Devin Thornton-2.

(4 - 3) Ridgeway 11 - 18 - 10 - 17 / 56
(11-2) White Station 12 - 26 - 15 - 15 / 68
http://www.whitestationhoops.com/10-11.html

Spartans run away from Ridgeway
Johnson grabs 17 rebounds, Hollins scores 33 to spark White Station
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/18/spartans-run-away-from-ridgeway/

Box link at bottom
Game #13 @ The Spartan Palace December 17, 2010

White Station 68 Ridgeway 56

Ridgeway: Cameron Golden-10, Greg Pryor-6, Marvin Smith-1,
Adam Weary-13, K. Flemming-11, B. Lewis-5, T. Triplett-4, D.
Dockery-6.
White Station: Tevin Gates-3, Davell Roby-3, William Woodfork-2,
Andre Hollins-33, Nino Johnson-13, Rodriguez Tucker-7, Marvin
Williams-5, Devin Thornton-2.

(4 - 3) Ridgeway 11 - 18 - 10 - 17 / 56
(11-2) White Station 12 - 26 - 15 - 15 / 68
http://www.whitestationhoops.com/10-11.html

I don't know if I have said this, but thanks for the updates guys. Really love hearin about the recruits.

CM: have you seen either Joe or Andre play? If so, what are your thoughts about their development/potential to play in B10 games?

Can I just say how excited I am to have these two guys on board next year? I mean short of one of them being a pure PG, there's nothing more I could ask. They both seem like the kind of guys who will excel within a system and be assets to the team and the University.

Welcome aboard!

I was at the BSM/Hopkins game yesterday, and I must say, I was rather disappointed. I was really hoping to see Hopkins be challenged, but BSM was not close to being up to the task. Hopkins got control pretty quickly and had a 15-point lead at halftime, then after BSM closed it to 10 in the first couple minutes of the second, Hopkins went on a big run, such that the final 9 minutes or so was running clock time. UW assistant Greg Gard was there sitting with Rene Pulley in the first half, and Gopher assistant Vince Taylor was standing along the baseline in the second half. I believe Northern Iowa had a coach in attendance as well.

This is the first Hopkins game I have seen this season, but I would guess that it was not Joe Coleman's best game. I had him 7-16 from the floor, including 0-1 from downtown, and 3-4 on FTs. BSM junior wing Sanjay Lumpkin did a pretty reasonable job guarding Coleman, but he missed a number of shots I assume he makes on a regular basis. As an overall evaluation of Joe, his athleticism is certainly the thing that sticks out the most. He's a well-built kid, and he moves very well. He is also very aggressive, he takes the ball to the hoop hard and often, and is pretty successful doing so. I can't say I noticed any sort of height difference from previous viewings, so I'd put him in the 6'3" or 4" range.

In the past, my opinion of Joe was that he has ways to go before he can play guard in the Big 10. Nothing I saw yesterday changed that opinion. Perhaps he can do things the Hopkins coaches don't ask him to do, but his play was closer to that of a PF than it was a SG. The vast majority of his touches came within 10' of the hoop. I had him shooting the 1 from deep, then he made a baseline jumper, but I don't remember any other of his 16 shots being from outside the paint. He also doesn't do much ball-handling. Again, perhaps he's just not asked to do guard-type things, but if yesterday was any indication of his overall skill set, I would guess that he is primarily a SF (or wing with two other guards on the floor) when he comes in. Perhaps as his skills develop further, he is able to play more guard, but right now, I would think it would tough for him to be on the floor with only one other true guard. This is not meant to say he is not a good incoming prospect. He has some physical abilities that just can't be taught, which might make his role similar to the one Rodney Williams has played in his first couple years.

Here is a link to the czar's writeup of the game:

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2010/12/hopkins-too-much-for-benilde.html

Tubby also talked a lot about Andre Sunday AM with Sid. He said he saw Andre Hollins in Memphis while on a recruiting trip this week while the team has exams. Andre is transitioning to the point guard. He will be able to contribute right away as a freshman. He said Devoe has been adequate as a backup point. But it sounded to me like Tubby was looking forward to having Andre play the point next year. He also praised Maverick Ahanmisi as doing a good job - but I don't think he mentioned him by name. He referred to another player who is contributing a lot at the point guard spot - and I took that to mean Ahanmisi.

quotes from Tubby from below link dated 11-10-2010
"In Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman, we definitely feel that we helped ourselves," said head coach Tubby Smith. "Both of these guys are young men that you know are going to give you everything they have, every day, on the court and in the classroom. They will be great representatives and ambassadors for Golden Gopher Basketball."

"Joe Coleman is an athlete and is a guy who can play multiple positions," said Smith. "He's a slasher and a scorer and a guy that has an amazing worth ethic and is in the gym constantly. He'll bring leadership to this team. I was so lucky and fortunate to coach his brother (Dan Coleman), so it gave us that insight into the Coleman family."

"Andre Hollins is a very talented and athletic player. I think he fills that need that we have at the point guard position," said Smith. "He is a big, physical guard that can defend multiple positions. One of the good things about Andre is that he has the mental IQ to run a team. He has speed, great hands, strength and love for the game."

In my opinion and from what I have read; Coleman’s freshman playing time will depend on his defensive play. I think Andre will be our starting point guard next year.

year.http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=205028448

Top Bottom