Looking ahead

MinnMarchDTF

Musical Magician
Reaction score
I know we're still marveling about our team's magnificent performance (like we should), but I have some things for us to consider regarding our next opponent. We have about a week before we play them, while they have a game against Penn State a few days before playing us. I'm supposing we want to root for Penn State, and if not to win, then to at least make them grind out a win. The Spartans are not invincible at home, but it will take a monumental effort to beat them. What do you guys think?

They do have a rough stretch, but they seem to be learning what it takes to win and how to win.

On the way to the NCAA Big Dance!

cal, I just wrote this in another thread. Good teams find ways to win, which they have done even on nights when they aren't playing well. And I don't think this team has peaked yet. Last night surprised everyone - who expected the team to hold Illinois to 36 points?? Imagine the kind of belief in themselves that they are in any contest and what can happen for this team when they are hitting on all cylinders...Imagine last night's defense with a hot shooting night and we might beat anyone.

I think the best case scenario for us with the MSU PSU game is to hope for many overtimes to wear them down. As awesome as our performance was last night, I'm not optimistic about this game. The Spartans had their letdown at the Breslin Center already this year against Northwestern. I don't see them being caught off guard again.

However, what I just said is based on the assumption that MSU is a better team than the Gophs. I also predicted Illinois 71-68 last night, so what do I know....

Having those extra days off will hopefully help the gophs develop a game plan to stay competitive at Breslin. That was a big factor in the Louisville matchup.

The MSU game...

Perhaps the best thing the Gophers have going for them when they visit Breslin next week is MSU remembering just how easily they handled the Gophers at the Barn barely a month ago?

A split of these next two games one would have to think would all but seal up an NCAA bid.

I think Moonlight made an exceptional point also, in that the Gophers haven't peaked just yet, which is a great thing. This is likely attributed to the substitution practices by Tubby so far; lots of guys playing lots of minutes; everybody still fresh, but some have not hit their stride because they're not getting 30+ minutes per game to find their groove.

Interesting to see how the minute distribution shakes down the rest of the way. I'd still love to see Carter playing more minutes, if not starting. He's a rebounding machine. Bostick gets out there so infrequently that he looks uncomfortable when he does hit the floor. That's too bad. Many of us had high expectations for him and his impact.

Keys for vcitory over Michigan St.

I think the two players who would have to really step up are Al Nolen and Colton Iverson. The defensive pressure on our point guard will be intense. We have to go inside and get their bigs in foul trouble. Iverson has to be physical without drawing fouls. We need his size on the floor against this team. I definitely would play Iverson and Carter more that HOff unless Hoff finds his inner mojo! We have to stay even on the boards. We also have to hit shots and not stand around. Sometimes Al gets the blame when no one is open and he gets forced into driving from the top of the key. We have to really set some tough picks too.

Good point on Carter, Ogee. Look for him to be out there during close games for rebounding and/or blocks. And defense.
Another realization I had during the game is that despite the "line changes" there was not a let down on defense no matter who was out there.
And it didn't seem to matter who was out there, which includes Hoff and JAS, a couple of guys who many of us thought were not up to BT defense. Good coaching, and good execution.

Top Bottom