Westbrook takes subtle shot at Monson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan's column:

''To be honest, if you don't play defense, you're going to come out," Gophers guard Lawrence Westbrook said. ''That puts fear in people. Secondly, we all know that that's the key to any game."

What's the difference between Smith's defense and that one employed by his predecessor, Dan Monson? ''I think Monson's defense, maybe he wanted to let the other team score," Westbrook said, trying to hide a smirk. ''And coach Smith wants to stop them."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...rksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsI

Go Gophers!!

Lawrence is my favorite player on this team, and I think there's certainly some validity to what he said. As a fan it is still kind of a culture shock for me to see the Gophers get after it on defense in comparison to the mostly "lassie-fair" effort displayed on the defensive end by the previous regime.

However, I'd prefer Lawrence (and any other Gophers that played for Monson) take the high road when baited with a question like that by a reporter. It's one thing for chatboard geeks like us to take a shot or two at the former coach, but Monson's former players don't need to pile on. There's another way Lawrence could have got his point across without taking Souhan's bait.

If you watched the post game press conference where he made the comment, I am pretty sure sure he was being sarcastic. Just before that comment Sid asked him how he has improved his shooting so much from his first year under Monson and he said because he didn't get to play when Monson was here , and then added because he wasn't good enough.
The think I like most about Lawrence is that he is cold blooded, the shot he hit at the buzzer in Wisconsin and the three he hit last night from the corner as the clock ran out were just clutch.

Great win last night

Go Gophers

Lawrence is the guy I want taking our biggest shots. The 3 he hit after Blake's brick sealed the deal, just as it was looking like the Illini might sneak their way back into the game.

I would say it wasn't even very subtle...

just taking it at face value. I didn't see the interview so I'm not sure if there was sarcasm or some other nuance that I missed, but it seemed like a bit of a shot. Not needed, but I know how he feels. Westbrook is a fav of mine as well and I'm puzzled by the reaction he often gets. He's a cold blooded scorer and a hard nosed defender. He sometimes makes mistakes (unlike most of us) in front of 14,000 people and thats what people comment on, and not the big shots he hits. He has been our most reliable scorer on a team that struggles at times putting the ball through the effin net. He has a very solid mid-range game that I wish DJ would develop, there is a lot of floor out there between 3 pointers and layups.

Westbrook is an absolute stud...I predicted him to be our leading scorer prior to the season and he is not disappointing. We need a big shot, its LW time. And for some who have nitpicked his defense before, his on the ball D is amongst the best on our team.

Top Bottom