i wish i was still in....

GoldenGuts

Reaction score
the student section...cuz the rest of the crowd sucked tonight!! 97% of the crowd for both basketball and football sucks and it is one of the reasons why we will never have a real atmosphere for a game at MN. I love the gophers but I hate being part of the old time crowd...i wish they would sell tickets to recent grads near the student section so i dont waste my money to have people around me telling me to sit down for both football and basketball...the adult crowd was pathetic tonight

i hate my seats

does anyone want to buy them so i can spend some extra money and sit by people who actually cheer at a game...

Kinda sad

Gophers deserve some good fans after that effort. I wasn't there, so I can't say much. But from TV, sure looked like a lot of sitting going on.

Golden Guts....do you still have your Student ID? How long ago did you graduate?

Sure seemed like everyone around me was really into this game. Lots of cheering and yelling. I know I was up and cheering an awful lot last night.

But then I was watching the game and not the people around me.

The implication that only the students were yelling and screaming leaves a very false impression IMO. I thought the crowd was pretty good last night.

Not sure what people want; the crowd was fine

Place was full, full of energy, fans were into the game. They were practically trying to will the ball to go in for Blake. Shows me they're aware of how important it is that Blake get his stroke back.

There were several standing O's. There were several defensive possessions where even though the Gophers had a big lead and were in control of the game, the fans wanted more, hooting it up for another stop. The crowd knew the importance of the game, students and non-students alike. Yes, The Barn has been louder, ear-splitting loud probably before you were born, but it was plenty loud last night.

If you hate being part of the "old-time crowd", watch it on TV.

Yeah I definitely know what you mean. I graduated in 08 and I have always been dreading not being in the student section, especially for football. However, last night it seemed like the whole place was pretty electric. I just saw it on TV though, so I wouldn't really know.

Well...bye

I suggest you follow the advice in your sig, and go home.

The crowd is fine. The student section is good again, though as someone else stated, and "un-der for-ty" chant would've been better than the typical "o-ver-rated".

The old time crowd you despise has been funding this athletic department for decades. Through many low periods where people like you were nowhere to be found.

Place was full, full of energy, fans were into the game. They were practically trying to will the ball to go in for Blake. Shows me they're aware of how important it is that Blake get his stroke back.

There were several standing O's. There were several defensive possessions where even though the Gophers had a big lead and were in control of the game, the fans wanted more, hooting it up for another stop. The crowd knew the importance of the game, students and non-students alike. Yes, The Barn has been louder, ear-splitting loud probably before you were born, but it was plenty loud last night.

Lol. I agree. I'm not sure what people want from the crowd sometimes.

God, I must be part of the " adult " crowd the poster refers to. :)

Pardon me for a moment while I realize I've become my father. :eek::eek::eek:

We went to World Series games in 87 and 91. I remember being on my feet and screaming myself hoarse the entire game. No one dared sat down. But that's also because everyone stood. At the basketball games you might do that in the student section but in the rest of the arena you should be reasonably respectful of the people around you, in back of you, and so on.

I'm a student at UST and have always been a huge fan and crazy "cheerer". I often get tix in student section but when I'm outside of it for both FB and BB i get told to sit down when cheering my guts out so I know what your talking about...but I just ignore and keep cheering...

Sounded great on the tube - but even louder in my den.

The BTN caught a great shot at an early point in the game - four stoic nordskies in their Gopher hats all with arms folded as if to say, "I ain't convinced yet!" Could have subbed in some seedcorn hats and dubbed over, "Nope, it ain't gonna rain!"

Perceptions are strange. On the way home from the game, my wife and I agreed that that was the best crowd we had at the Barn this year. Several standing O's (that's a first this year), student section in force, and I loved when the game was finally in hand and it seemed to me - almost in unison - everyone realized this dreaded losing streak was over. There was extended cheering at that point (I think around the :50 mark or so). I thought it was a great crowd. Surprised others thought differently.

As a student section member, I thought the entire crowd was fantastic tonight. Lots of jumping up to celebrate, beyond excitement when Hoffarber hit the three, the numerous standing ovations, loud cheering for the final minute. Just an overall great atmosphere as far as I'm concerned.

Perceptions are strange. On the way home from the game, my wife and I agreed that that was the best crowd we had at the Barn this year. Several standing O's (that's a first this year), student section in force, and I loved when the game was finally in hand and it seemed to me - almost in unison - everyone realized this dreaded losing streak was over. There was extended cheering at that point (I think around the :50 mark or so). I thought it was a great crowd. Surprised others thought differently.

It was around the :50 mark and you're right, it was extremely loud in there when that happened. I think the old foggies were making more noise than the Student Section at that point.

Best crowd of the year for sure but still not where it used to be. I know I've posted on this before, but the biggest difference between the current version of the crowd and the raucous crowds of the '90s is that the current version is waiting to be impressed before it cheers whereas the old version was much more proactive in their cheering, standing Os, chants, etc.

Overall, I thought the crowd was pretty good. True there weren't any deafening crowd noise moments, but there was certainly a lot of energy in the building. They seemed to be more responsive to some key moments. Blake got a nice round of cheers after he hit his three. Agree with SelectionSunday that the crowd was trying to will the ball for him later in the game.

Several standing O's throughout the game, including some recognition of a couple of strong defensive efforts. There was a whistle somewhere around the 2:30 mark, some people did start to get up and leave, but nowhere near what we usually see. Even with a 23 point lead, the vast majority of the crowd stayed until the end of the game, and they got on their feet for about the last minute of play.

One thing I noticed. It looked a little difficult for the crowd to make sustained noise because there was zero flow to the game. Lots of timeouts after made baskets, lots of fouls (we missed a few back end free throws which quiets the crowd some), lots of substitutions. There wasn't continuous flow to keep the crowd pumped. Just my observation. I still thought it was loud though!

One thing I noticed. It looked a little difficult for the crowd to make sustained noise because there was zero flow to the game. Lots of timeouts after made baskets, lots of fouls (we missed a few back end free throws which quiets the crowd some), lots of substitutions. There wasn't continuous flow to keep the crowd pumped. Just my observation. I still thought it was loud though!

Bruce Weber did a good job of taking us out of the game in key moments with his time outs.

Bruce Weber did a good job of taking us out of the game in key moments with his time outs.

Bruce Webber only had 5 timeouts.

BTN did a great job of taking us out of the game in key moments. Webber would call TO, we'd come in, run one play and then there would be a time out on the floor.

Bruce Webber only had 5 timeouts.

BTN did a great job of taking us out of the game in key moments. Webber would call TO, we'd come in, run one play and then there would be a time out on the floor.
What he probably referring to is that Weber would call a timeout right before the slotted TV timeout to kill the momentum with a seemingly long stoppage in play, taking the crowd out of it.

In every collegiate basketball game, there is a TV timeout in both halves at the first stoppage of play under 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00 minute mark. Thus, Weber would call a timeout with say 16:06 to play in the half. Play would resume until the next whistle (i.e. 15:51), where there would then be a full TV timeout.

It's not specific to BTN, or ESPN, or even Tom Nobody's Regional Channel; it's uniform across the country.

What he probably referring to is that Weber would call a timeout right before the slotted TV timeout to kill the momentum with a seemingly long stoppage in play, taking the crowd out of it.

In every collegiate basketball game, there is a TV timeout in both halves at the first stoppage of play under 16:00, 12:00, 8:00, and 4:00 minute mark. Thus, Weber would call a timeout with say 16:06 to play in the half. Play would resume until the next whistle (i.e. 15:51), where there would then be a full TV timeout.

It's not specific to BTN, or ESPN, or even Tom Nobody's Regional Channel; it's uniform across the country.

Good to know. I had no idea. I couldn't figure out why they kept taking TV timeouts, but that makes sense.

the student section...cuz the rest of the crowd sucked tonight!! 97% of the crowd for both basketball and football sucks and it is one of the reasons why we will never have a real atmosphere for a game at MN. I love the gophers but I hate being part of the old time crowd...i wish they would sell tickets to recent grads near the student section so i dont waste my money to have people around me telling me to sit down for both football and basketball...the adult crowd was pathetic tonight

i hate my seats

does anyone want to buy them so i can spend some extra money and sit by people who actually cheer at a game...

What are you talking about. The place was so loud it as impossible to hear yourself scream. Ofcouse, it is true that the student section is the loudest and they stand through the whole game. The rest of the crowd is never going to to come up to that standard anywhere in the country.

i hate my seats

What?? I have often bashed the non-student section (especially at football games) but there is no reason to after last nights game. The crowd was great.

Tom Nobody's Regional Channel

I love that channel. Some of their overnight programming is outstanding. I love the replays of the old MIAC games from the 1950s. Brings back some great memories. I'm glad Dish Network finally picked TNRC up.

I noticed at least three times where Illinois was forced to use a TO even though it was time for a TV TO just because the wheels were falling off.

Instead of engaging in the ages old argument about the quality of the crowd (which I thought was fine), riddle me this -- what's up with all the people that leave the game early? As a friend of mine says, would you leave a movie with 2 minutes left just because you think you know the ending?

As a friend of mine says, would you leave a movie with 2 minutes left just because you think you know the ending?
Are we friends, 94? I always say that too. Nor would you leave a concert cause you've heard the song before. I also object to the people who are clearly not paying attention to the game and come and go constantly for snacks in the middle of the game. There are time outs and halftime to take care of that.
But last night? The crowd was great.

Top Bottom