George McDonald to Eastern Michigan???

GopherLady

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying this is a rumor, just a word on the street - but the word is that Eastern Michigan may be interested in Coach McDonald to be their next head coach.

I don't think it's any secret that Coach McDonald has proven himself to be a pretty fierce recruiter, and is young up-and-coming coach - let's hope the Gophers can hang onto him!

Here's his bio on Gophersports:

George McDonald Bio

That's why

our highly recruited wideouts performed so well this year!

Are you referring to the touted wide receivers who were true freshman this year?

As the season wore on, and the freshman were getting used to the system, Green proved to be a threat, and Smith had a good game against Wisconsin. With Hayo next year, our WR corps will be quite good even if we don't get McNeal.

You don't think losing McDonald will hurt, just because a couple true freshman didn't have outstanding seasons? I hope we can hang on to him...

I didn't see consistency or IMPROVEMENT.

Where do they rank for catches in the nation compared to other Freshman?

I am in no mood to be nice to anyone associated with Gopher football right now, but I think it's pretty clear Brandon Green improved as the season wore on. I'd like to hang on to McDonald and let him continue to work with these kids.

We brought in two highly recruited (though it's not like either of them had a high profile offer) receivers and one of them had the third most receptions among Big Ten true freshman receivers. That's not bad, is it?

We throw the ball 90% of the time, how consistent were they the last 1/2 of the season.

How many catches did Green have Saturday night?

We throw the ball 90% of the time, how consistent were they the last 1/2 of the season.

Brandon Green's last five games:
Purdue: 5 rec, 100 yds
Northwestern: 5 rec, 37 yds
Michigan: 2 rec, 36 yds
Wisconsin: 5 rec, 80 yds, 1 TD
Iowa: no stats

Green over last 5 games: 17 rec., 253 yds, 1 TD
Kuznia over last 5 games: 14 rec., 151 yds, 0 TD
Simmons over last 5 games: 17 rec., 126 yds, 1 TD

Over the last 5 games Green became our number one threat in the passing game and he was the most conistent receiver we had.

How many did he catch against Iowa. He caught one pass on the sideline that got negated by a penalty on the offensive line. Our leading receiver was Simmons with four catches and Decker had two catches.

How many times was he even thrown to. The way Weber was running around trying to save his head, I don't really think the fact that green didn't have any catches was his fault....

All of our freshman recievers were not Micheal Floyds...sorry its just the way it is.

It's really just a strange idea. How can you even conclude he didn't improve when he didn't even make his first catch until about five games ago, and he's in the top five of B10 freshmen receivers?? You have to be pretty poor at reasoning to make a statement like that.

I sometimes wonder about peoples expectations. They say these things and then when you look up the stats to see if they have a basis it's so far from reason and yet they seem so adament. I guess what would you talk about without this sort of thing.

I wish I had the patience to dig through the stats for just the last five games, it might show that Green has improved more and has a bigger upside than any B10 freshmen receiver. Certainly, he's put himself among the top of the class.

And for the record the Gophers had 380 pass attempts verses 398 rushing attempts. Or about 49% passes to runs.

4th in pass attempts in the B10

And for the record the Gophers had 380 pass attempts verses 398 rushing attempts. Or about 49% passes to runs.

4th in pass attempts in the B10

Nice lookup. I would have guessed that we had more passes than runs. Although if you back out the sacks we gave up (the NCAA counts them as runs) we probably tried to pass it 51% or 52% of the time.

Nice lookup. I would have guessed that we had more passes than runs. Although if you back out the sacks we gave up (the NCAA counts them as runs) we probably tried to pass it 51% or 52% of the time.

True that.

I had actually expected to see about a 60% pass ratio and #2 in the B10. I was surprised.

Sorry I didn't know McDonald was a savior. I hope you see from our OL hire that there may be more high profile people interested in Minnesota and working for Brewster. I don't believe losing coach McDonald would stop the world. In fact, we may be able to hire a more experienced coach to replace him.

Do you guys watch blocking on the perimeter? How good were we on the edge.

Simmons is coached by the TE coach not the receivers coach.

I totally agree McDonald will be a better coach with more talent.

What did David Pittman do after he was declared healthy?

All I'm saying is, maybe there is someone better out there.

Sorry I didn't know McDonald was a savior. I hope you see from our OL hire that there may be more high profile people interested in Minnesota and working for Brewster. I don't believe losing coach McDonald would stop the world. In fact, we may be able to hire a more experienced coach to replace him.

Do you guys watch blocking on the perimeter? How good were we on the edge.

Simmons is coached by the TE coach not the receivers coach.

I totally agree McDonald will be a better coach with more talent.

What did David Pittman do after he was declared healthy?

All I'm saying is, maybe there is someone better out there.
nemo, i had that same thought when i read this topic, i don't think that the receivers improved at all--we just relied on them more with decker hurt.

i don't know if it the receivers coach's fault, though, i think that they were happy having decker and the TEs and the RB making all the receptions until decker got hurt. when that happened they had to get the young guys involved.

What about his recruiting ability? We have gotten 3 4-star WR commits the last two years (unfortunately Hill didn't qualify). That's pretty dang good.

One per thread

Reading these threads it becomes apparent that there is usually one person per thread that has a problem with the topic. That is not all that bad except that they then tend to continue beating the dead horse if their opinion is challenged. This used to be a staple of Wren and Loon but they would become more vitriolic.

Boy, I made it big time. I never thought I reach the status of Wren and Loon.

Did you like the hire of Roof?

Do you like the hire of Davis?

All I'm saying is maybe there is someone better out there if McDonald left. I'm looking at the situation as the glass half full.

Top Bottom