Gopher Defense

Dr.Don

Reaction score
What a display of hard work by a young group of Gophers. To hold Illinois to 36 points? Unheard of. Way to go Gophers.

That was pretty insane....I don't think I've ever seen us hold a Big Ten opponent to under 40, much less a top 20 squad like Illinois.

Pretty nuts, but also pretty satisfying!!!!!!

Awesome defense by the Gophers. What more can we say?

I don't think any of us expected this domination by the gophers tonight. Incredible! What a huge win! Maybe the best defensive performance by any team in the country this year.

Amen, GL. You are awesome, and I love your tator tots. LOL

Private joke, between you and me, right? Gotta love it!!!!!!!!

The Gophs were fantastic in recovering after helping. Purdue got a lot of open looks when we couldn't rotate quickly enough or a defender couldn't get back to his man after helping. Tonight we gave up one or two open looks and were right in the shooters face the rest of the time.

Wowzers...that's all I can say after watching that. I missed the first few minutes because I was on my way home from class, but the rest was just awesome.

I was WRONG!

yeah, but ... you & Jike picked the Illini to win in a "pick-em" choice on Pick per Day.

My goodness, I'm still stunned by your choice. ;)

I will admit it over and over and over...and I have never been so excited to be wrong. I can't wait for you to chalk that one up as a loss!

The D never let up for 40 minutes. They pressured the outside so much that there was nothing doing there for the Illini. They had to run the clock trying to go inside and there was very little room there.

I haven't looked at the minutes played distribution, but regardless of how many bench minutes were played, I'm amazed that the team maintained that level of tenaciousness (man on man!) for the whole game. I thought they'd be exhausted at the end of the first half. That was a lot of running, foot quickness and concentration to maintain. Hat's off to the conditioning coach whoever that is. Of course it doesn't hurt to be only 20 years old+/-. It wore me out and I was just sitting on the couch. Well, I did get up for scotch.

Some very nice compliments in this thread from Catspause -

One of which is ..

I don't quite know the x and o difference either, but watching that Illinois vs. Minnesota game last night, Tubby's team put on a defensive clinic like I haven't seen this year from any team. It was reminiscent of the ol' 2003 UK team that just killed most SEC teams by halftime and didn't allow an open shot...ever.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1383&tid=124125731&mid=124125731&sid=888&style=2

Interesting discussion there on defensive approaches

An excellent discussion of the differences between Tubby and Gillespie's approaches to defense on the thread Blizzard linked, which I've copied below, proving that there are plenty of bright, rational BB fans in Kentucky
Well with Tubby's Ball Line defense, its a defense that's built upon the fundamentals of the game, you know things like staying between the ball and the basket at all times. The ball line defense doesn't allow for much gambling in the the passing lanes. If you rememeber this is one of the main problems that Tubby had with Rondo. It's like the old addage with this type of defense, better safe than sorry. In the ball line defense when the offense passes the ball in the corner the defenders form almost what looks like a traingle around that ball. You have the main defender on the ball then have a low post defender that shifts over to play help defense while having another perimeter defender also shifting over. This side of the defense is called the front side, and leaving the backside open because the other remaining two defenders are also playing help defense but on other men. Now if a ball is passed over to the other side then the defense shifts over to its side. If the ball is passed inside then the low post defender is already on him but a perimeter defender always slides down to help on him. So in other words with the ball line defense the players almost never gamble in the passing lanes, they always stay between there man and the basket and there is always a man that helps the main defender.

Gillispie's Man-to-man defense does a lot more gambling in the passing lanes. The principal is the same to stay between the man and the basket but it gives you freedom to gamble in the passing lanes. This is one of the biggest things Gillispie wants the players to do in this defense, he wants them to play the passing lanes, where as the ball lines doesn't play passing lanes. Gillispie's man-to-man defense also contains help defense but isn't used the same ways. Players in this defense may flash out on a player out on another players man in the perimeter and then switches back to his own man. This type of flashing out is prohibited in the ball line defense. It also is built on keeping the ball out of the lane just like the ball line is, but because there players may slide down to help the low post it leaves the perimeter open, thus open three point shots happen.

Gillipsie's defense is more effective with long and athletic players. In Tubby's defense the players don't have to be as athletic because you rely on your teammates a lot more.

I'll start with the ball-line defense...It's mindset is very similar to a zone, although in most cases, Tubby's teams run a man-to-man. He usually switches to a zone on out of bounds plays. But the ball-line defense is meant to deny passes to the interior, but allow passes that go away from the basket. I think Tubby calls these "non-threatening" passes or something along those lines. This helps keep the ball out of the paint, but it does make the perimeter a bit more vulnerable. Although, the entire point of his ball-line defense is to force teams to shoot from the outside rather than in the paint. Sometimes it burns him when teams get hot, but thats the nature of any defense.

As for Billy, what i can see is he is much more of a denial kind of guy. Loves to pressure passing lanes making it difficult to get the ball to the wings, from which point entry passes to the paint become much easier. So, essentially, he is also trying to keep the ball out of the paint as much as possible. Billy rarely switches on screens, so hedges, help defenders, and quick recovery are extremely important aspects of Billy's defense. The main idea around Billy's defense is never leave your man. While Tubby's defense was more prone to open perimeter shots, Billy's is more prone to being broken down by the dribble. But, either one can be stopped by solid execution.

Top Bottom