Rank Your 5 Favorite Gophers of Your Lifetime

WriterGoph

Reaction score
In the interest of actually getting some dialogue going on this board today, let's rank our Top 5 Gophs (that you SAW PLAY live or on TV). I'm not doing mine in any particular order, but feel free to if you want:

WILLIE BURTON -- as a kid in my early teens, Willie was the one who showed me that Gopher hoops could be special. Those teams had a lot of great guys (Coffey, Newbern, etc), but Willie was the Gold standard for that first set of deep runs in the NCAAs.

VOSHON LENARD -- After those years in the late 80s, I fell deeply in love with Gopher hoops. When I was high school, I always looked for big things from Vo. Guy could shoot the lights out and it's a shame we could never get past the second round with him.

BOBBY JACKSON -- What didn't Bobby do during that 1997 season? He was unreal and was able to take over games like nobody else I have seen in our program. I don't care that those years were tarnished, watching Bobby J play was truly something special.

QUINCY LEWIS -- This probably has to do with the fact that I was in school there at the same time as Q and ran into him a couple times on campus (and he was always a stellar dude). But there was something about his big smile and his smooth scoring ability that left an indelible mark on me.

DAMIAN JOHNSON -- Even though he hasn't accomplished anything in the postseason (YET), I feel like DJ is a perfect symbol of our program's growth under Tubby. He's proof that something that looked so hopeless just a couple years back can transform into something with almost limitless potential. I think by the time his career is over, DJ will have a solid place in most people's Top 5.

HONORABLE MENTION -- Vince Grier (if only for that 30-plus performance against Sconny in 2005 when he tore the roof off Williams); John Thomas (such a hard worker and vital part of that 1997 team); Sam Jacobson (never felt like he achieved the greatness that was expected, but he sure was a smooth operator).

My personal favorites (is 7 OK?):

Melvin Newbern
Willie Burton
Jayson Walton
Sam Jacobsen
John Thomas
Bobby Jackson
Townsend Orr

I always loved Jayson Walton too, but he just had so much trouble with his knees. Never reached his full potential unfortunately.

Kevin McHale
Michel Thompson
Flip Saunders
Lou Hudson
George Sauer

Voshon - hands down fave, it's a childhood thing
Bobby Jackson - this is a second obvious choice
Sam Jacobson - a great all around player and local guy
Courtney James - he stands out as one of the most dominating and intimidating players in my mind
Lawrence McKenzie - when he was on, HE WAS ON

HM - Brent Lawson , Aaron Robinson, Quincy Lewis, Damian Johnson, Vincent Grier

I kind of had a falling out after the Clem thing until I got to college.

What really gets me is the guys who left, some of them could have been on these lists, one that stands out to me is Brandon Smith, his athleticism would have been huge in the Tubby Era

Burton, Lenard, Jackson are for-sures.

If we're going to name players who had the potential for greatness but never secured it due to "other factors," I'd include Rick Rickert. One of those whose career was sidelined by "big-headedness" which can have as serious an effect as bad knees. But he sure looked like he could be something special.

For today's squad, I'd be inclined to project greatness upon Paul Carter.

1. Al Nolen
2. Lawerence Westbrook
3. Colton Iverson
4. Ralph Sampson
5. Damien Johnson

Trent Tucker - imagine if he played in college with a 3 point shot
Daryl Mitchell
Kevin McHale
Randy Breuer
Mychal Thompson

I am going to answer this as two seperate groups of 5.

First five are players I like because they were great talents:
1. Voshon Lenard
2. Sam Jacobson
3. Bobby Jackson
4. Quincy Lewis
5. Ariel McDonald

Next 5 are my favorites because they were characters, interesting stories or because I met/knew them when I went to school:
1. Miles Tarver - I don't know how anyone could leave him off any all time Gophers list - I actually had my mom make me a Miles Tarver Jersey in jr high
2. Jeff Hagen - Picked me and a buddy up and gave me a ride home when I was drunk trying to walk through a McD's drive through even though Jared Nuness didn't want to.
3. Vince Grier - Great player and along with Arob, Hagen, and Lawson temp. kept Monson from losing his job which led to us hiring Tubby
4. Spencer Tollackson - Met him a few times at random sorority events and he is a great fun loving guy
5. Brent Lawson - I wear a knee brace when I play basketball too

1) Burton
2) Jackson
3) Newbern
4) Tommy Davis
5) Lenard

Arriel McDonald - guy was my favorite player growing up, easily. I still remember him hitting a huge buzzer beater against Michigan State and being ecstatic. I think I was about ten.

Sam Jacobson - My cousin lived in Park, and we went and got his autograph on the floor after a game once. A guy in the stands told me to hang on to it, as it'd be "very valuable" someday. Didn't really turn out to be true, but Sam really was a fun player to watch.

Dusty Rychart - might be my all time favorite. Came from my mom's hometown, so I was cheering for him from day one. Then, he turned into one of the all time greats, despite having very little talent, it seemed like.

Voshon Leonard - when we beat Indiana and Knight by 50, I was deliriously happy for days. Plus, I'd try to mimic his distinctive shot in the backyard.

Bobby Jackson - My dad didn't think he'd ever develop into anything good, and I thought I saw promise. When he turned out to be great, I was vindicated.

Honorable Mention - Vince Grier. My Dad had just started getting some absolutely great seats in hopes the Gophs would be good again someday, and for one season, they were great, and all because of Grier.

Top Five Personalities -
Hosea - PLAY HOSEA clap, clap, clap-clap-clap
Miles Tarver - I loved seeing him get into fights. Maybe it was the latent hockey fan in me.
J'Son Stamper - He was just so tough. I don't remember Richard Coffey that well, so Stamper's as close as I can remember.
Matt Smriga - the football guy was hilarious as a walk-on. His free throw moves were unbelievable.
Wade Hokenson - He made me believe that I had a chance to play for the Gophs.

Least Favorite Gophers
Pryz - goes without saying
Ohnstad - bugged me for some reason
Humphries - really, really bugged me, though I liked Rickert
tie - Aliou Kane/Engen Nurumbi - THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD!
Kerwin Flemming - no particular reason

Jim Brewer- BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Defense, I can still visualise him stuffing a shot down an OSU player's throat.

Mychal Thompson -The ball rolled off his fingertips into the basket. He stayed when things were tough. Minnesota born teammates Olberding and Landsberger left.

Bobby Jackson -No need to explain. When Vegas put up over/under action of 16 points on him in Regional final I nearly emptied my bank account to fly to Vegas and bet it all. Wish I had.

Eric Harris- I loved the kid from his freshman year when he came off the bench to play big time D on All American Damon Stoudamire.

Lou Hudson- Probably the best player in the nation until he broke his wrist. After that he averaged double figures playing with a cast. Sweet Lou.

1) Jim Brewer
2) Michael Thompson
3) Kevin McHale
4) Dusty Rychart
5) Clyde Turner/Ron Behagen (Tie)

Favorites:
1. Willie Burton - positively a total stud
2. Voshon Lenard - the one piece of the fab five that got away from big blue
3. Bobby Jackson - loved the socks
4. Melvin Newburn - super smooth and I love his name
t5. Sam Jacobson - a la Vitale - Jewish Jordan
t5. Kevin Lynch - I'll never forget him missing that 3pt from the baseline against GT, still love him though

Least Favorites:
1. Kris Humphries - great talent, cancerous behavior
2. Joel Pryzbilla - can't stand him
3. Russ Archambault - this loser made us lose out on Khalid El-Amin
4. Miles Tarver - seemed like a nice guy, but I cringed whenever Clem put him in
5. Michael Bauer - never lived up to my expectations

My all time favorites:

1. Bobby Jackson - awesome talent. first round draft choice #23 overall
2. Mychal Thompson - unstopable. first round draft choice # 1 overall
3. Clyde "The Glide" Turner - so smooth for a big man. forth round draft choice
4. Kevin McHale - longest arms I have ever seen. frist round draft choice # 3 overall
5. Ray Williams - point guard before there were point guards. first round draft choice # 10 overall
5 a.Dave Winfield - He was a lot of fun to watch - fifth round draft choice

There maybe a a five with more talent but these five were the most fun to watch. I am conviced Royce White will make next years list.

Limiting my selections to since the time I became a Gopher season-ticket holder (1992-93 season):

Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Courtney James
Chad Kolander
Townsend Orr

Honorable mention: Wesley Washington's mom

Favorite Gophers

Lou Hudson-nothing more needs to be said. Maybe the best Gopher ever.

Tom Kondla-was my hero as a kid. Very good big man.

Clyde Turner-great shooter and had a great time playing pickup ball with him after he came back to the Twin Cities.

Mychal Thompson-My favorite, virtually saw every home game he played. Was very cool especially at parties. The ladies loved him. Also arguably the best ever Gopher.

Willie Burton-Put Gopher basketball on the map after the U's second scandal. Met him on the court pregame in Manhattan Kansas in 1989. Was very gracious.

Bobby Jackson- took us farther than any other Gopher team. It did happen.

I have to include Vincent Grier, he was amazing when he got into a zone. The Wisconsin game is still one of my top 5 Gopher games. Plus he gave us the only thing to cheer about in the last 10 years until now.

There are many more with personal connections Flip, Bones Cervony, Billy Duffy, Coach Koz. Some are famous, some are not as we all have reasons for our favorites, but they all were Gophers.

No particular order:

Vincent Grier
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Jeff Hagen
Quincy Lewis

1. Willie Burton- turned me onto to Minnesota baketball.
2. Kevin Lynch- I can still see the shot agianst Georgia Tech going in. Still can't believe it didn't.
3. Aron Robinosn- Tragic upbringing yet seemed very happy. One of the few recruitsthat developed under Monson.
4. Dusty Rychart- solid.
5. Vince Grier- but only with the crazy do. Should never have cut it off.

5. Vince Grier- but only with the crazy do. Should never have cut it off.

Forgot all about the "crazy doo". That bumps Winfield. I have to add Grier. Good memory.

Richard Coffey
Voshon Leonard
Sam Jacobson
Bobby Jackson
Townsend Orr

I only have a top two.

Rick Rickert
Kris Humphries

:)

For talent, personality, crowd appeal...

PG-Bobby Jackson
SG-Ollie Shannon
SF-Lou Hudson
PF-Jim Brewer
C-Mychal Thompson

I only have a top two.

Rick Rickert
Kris Humphries

:)

Further proof that you're an idiot. Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries were both one and done's who never wanted to be here.

My list?

Mychal Thompson
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobsen
Voshon Leonard
Vincent Grier

I'll limit my first group to names that have not been mentioned... and part of the reason I like them is because of the way Jules Perlt would announce their names.

Ollie Shannon - He could shoot and IIRC scored close to 50 before the 3 pt shot. Probably did not have too many assists that game tho.

Cal Sabatini - I always liked the sound of his name

Steve Lingenfelter - He was Dusty Rychart before Dusty - transferred to South Dakota St. during McHale era and then played several years in NBA.

"Boots" Simonovich - 7 footer with about a 7" vertical - took up a lot of space.

Ray Cronk - I can still hear Jules Perlt say "CRONK scoring for the Gophers".

From those already mentioned

Ray Williams
Bobby Jackson
Vincent Grier
Willie Burton
Randy Breuer

1. Bobby Jackson
2. Archie Clark
3. Clyde Turner
4. Lou Hudson
5. Willie Burton

Further proof that you're an idiot. Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries were both one and done's who never wanted to be here.

My list?

Mychal Thompson
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobsen
Voshon Leonard
Vincent Grier

Troll-Rickert played 2 seasons here.

Willie is #1...

2...Bobby Jackson
3...Mel Newbern
4...Quincy Lewis
5...Voshon Lenard

Honorable mention:Tommy Davis, Dusty, Vincent, Sammy and Courtney James (I liked his game, not the phonebook)

Top Bottom