OL Coaching Prospects

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new thread to gather names of prospects we've heard rumors on. So far Shaw has thrown his hat into the ring, and one rumor confirmed in regards to Perles out of NDSU.

Any others?

I don't have a name to specualte about; however, I wouldn't be surprised if the person selected comes from Texas. Not necessarily the U of Texas but a connection to the state. After spending several years in Austin, I suspect he has a network of candidates in the Big 12 Conference. Hopefully the new OL coach will not only be a good recruiter, but, more importantly, an effective line coach. I suspect both attributes will be part of the job description.

Go Gophers!!

He had lists to work off when he first got the job. And two years in they're hardly outdated. I don't think it'd take long for Brew to make a hire.

It would be good to look for technicians from recently ousted staffs, and up and coming NFL guys. They should be high energy to recruit 24/7, but not necessarily a 20 year experienced recruiter. This will say alot about what Brew thinks is important.

Really liked NDSU's offense last year here...

I thought I'd start a new thread to gather names of prospects we've heard rumors on. So far Shaw has thrown his hat into the ring, and one rumor confirmed in regards to Perles out of NDSU.

Any others?

A really good O-line and a nice mix of run and pass - very suited to Midwestern talent...

How much is Jim Hueber getting paid to be the assistant OL coach for the purple vermin?

I know a coach at Nebraska that grew up here and played college ball in the MIAC that wants to move back and coach for the Gophers. His specialty is OL and punters/kickers. He was a GA at SCSU for 2 years, did quality control (film) at Nebraska for a year under Callahan, was a GA at Buffalo under Turner Gill, and is currently working as a GA at Nebraska under Pellini. He was a finalist for the SCSU offensive coordinator a year or two ago. I'm not sure if he is too junior for the Gophers OL position but he has 5+ years of experience and it seems like a possibility.

Hell will freeze over before Shaw will be rehired by MN. That bridge was burnt, tore up, recycled and spurned.

Word is Brewster already may have someone on the string. beyond that i know absolutely nothing.

Hell will freeze over before Shaw will be rehired by MN. That bridge was burnt, tore up, recycled and spurned.

Word is Brewster already may have someone on the string. beyond that i know absolutely nothing.

That wouldn't surprise me. It isn't like it wasn't known that this was coming. Considering it came before the Bowl rather than after would seem to indicate that they want to and are prepared to move quickly.

That wouldn't surprise me. It isn't like it wasn't known that this was coming. Considering it came before the Bowl rather than after would seem to indicate that they want to and are prepared to move quickly.

Good Point!

i am just throwing this name out there, i dont have any "inside info", but i think that he would be a great "get."

herb hand from tulsa. they run the spread, and their offense is always good, throwing but also running--they are top ten in run offense. they led the nation last year in YPG at 543.

also he is director of recruiting, which would be nice, a great coach that can recruit. and his recruiting territory is north dallas, which is where a lot of our recruits seem to be coming.

he is young, not compared to some of brewsters other assistants, but at 40 he is part of a younger spread generation.

i don't know if he is more interested in a OC job rather than o-line coach, but it seems like a big ten job would be a step up, at least in pay. and maybe with dunbar nearing his retirement (hopefully) an agreement to become OC in a couple years could be made????

i don't know if he is more interested in a OC job rather than o-line coach, but it seems like a big ten job would be a step up, at least in pay. and maybe with dunbar nearing his retirement (hopefully) an agreement to become OC in a couple years could be made????

Please let that happen!!

Given the fact that most gopher offensive lineman come from Minnesota and the rest of the upper midwest, I would think the OL coach would come from this area as well. Seems logical anyway.

Any others?

When did Shaw say anything about the job? Did i miss something?

Top Bottom