How Do We Beat Illinois?

UofM Fan

Reaction score
I have only seen Illinois play a few times but I am wondering what thoughts are for our keys to victory.

My thoughts on what I have seen from Illinois:

We need to keep Davis's touches limited. He seems to be the one guy on their team who could really hurt us on the board because of his length and quickness. Is he too quick for Sampson? I would like to see Carter get some good minutes on him.

Smother McCamey and Meachum. Those two have taken and made 65% of the team's 3 pointers.

I know Tisdale gives some good height but I like our matchup if Sampson brings his aggressive play from Indiana

Any other thoughts?

At this point, I'd start with an exorcism. That and ban turtles in the barn. Tisdale woudln't be allowed in.

Echoing UM Fan's sentiments, they need to lock down the perimeter. The Gophers often are poor in 1/2 court defense staying with perimeter players. Illinois will (and has in the past) kill the Gophers from the arc if the D is not there.

Additionally, offensive execution is critical. The Gophs will not be able to create alot of turnovers/transition o against the Illini guards, and will need to score in the 1/2 court. Feed the post, get to the line, and most importantly shoot well. It will be another long night if they shoot poorly (IMO).

Forget the "3"!

Here comes another team with excellent 3 point defense. I say forget it. Hoffarber, Shamala, Nolen, Westbrook, Joseph, Bostick: Drive the lane! They will have to burn the Illini on the inside before the outside shot opens up.

The Gophs win this game by winning the OR battle and doing what they do best, forcing turn overs and blocking shots. MN has a better 2 point % defense than the visitors for this very reason, go with what works. Sampson and Johnson will have to stay out of foul trouble and each be like an enlightened Shiva (have many arms).

Nolen will have to relax and focus on the half court game; Meachum and co will not allow much of running game. Again, Sampson has the most efficient offensive production based on the amount of minutes he plays, so get the ball to him, "early and often".

Also, Carter could easily be the key to this contest. Illinois will only play 8 guys. Based on playing time, he may draw Brock or Legion as a defender when they have to give Davis a breather, he will then be able to score easily over those inferior interior players.

The worst match-up I see is Westbrook v. Meachum. Look for Westbrook to be stimied in the first half and Meachum to have a record night, depending on how much zone is used both ways.

Our home team will probably end up down 8-10 points in the second half but make a game of it in the end as they often do with Tubby's inspired in-game adjustments.

Score more points than them.

But seriously, we need to execute in the half court and limit second chances and easy buckets... you know... the same thing you have to do against every team in the Big 10.

Pressure the hell out of them. They didn't look to confident against the press at the end of the Wisconsin game, and the Mizzou press worked a bit against them, its just Mizzou was completely out of control when they had the ball.

If we can jump on them quick and get the crowd jumping, we could be alright.

It's simple .. Make our FT's (better than 75% at least) & commit fewer TO's than Ill.

Don't let Meacham imitate Sean Harrington

He shoots 3s & that's what he does. We can't have a repeat of letting a 3-point shooter (remember Harrington?) stand at the 3-point line & fire away unguarded. Tisdale, McCamey & Davis will get theirs; I don't want to get beat by a guy like Meacham. Just like I didn't want to get beat by Craig Moore of Northwestern.

Top Bottom