Is Krabbenhoft a goon?

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
He plays hard, does the "little things", is a "glue guy"....blah blah blah....

What I'm starting to see is a guy who seems to be right in the middle of every fight, pushing match, or borderline dirty play.

The pick tonight on Purdue's 5'3" point guard was dirty. He threw an elbow.

Let me stop the idiot Badger fans right now: I know that there was no foul called. That doesn't make it any less of a cheap shot.

I don't know whether or not he is a goon, but that definitely was a cheap shot that should have been called, perhaps even a flagrant.

That ref better be getting a negative review by Big 10 officials for missing such a dangerous play that the entire arena could see.

There were a couple of Badger fans online that questioned the play as well. They also noted that there was no call, but added that they hoped it wasn't a premeditated dirty play by Krabbenhoft.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Krabbenhoft. Seems like a decent player who goes hard. Other than the fact that he looks like clones of both Butch and Stiemsma and now Leuer, I really don't have any complaints about him...

If I saw him I would have some choice words for him. Most of them could not be posted on a family friendly forum like GopherHole. After watching him up close when Bosconsin played in Mackey then the forearm to LewJack skull, I think it safe to say he is a goon, that might be putting it lightly. Don't get me wrong the pick was legal, it also was a really good one too, but then adding the elbow, not needed. I really wish in basketball, just like hockey, players could fight. It would prevent crap like that from happening, and if it did things like that will be sloved really quickly. It would also be pretty sweet to have a Boograd-esk BA on your team to keep everyone in line.

Also I like to think Purdue's win tonight was karma for that dirty play.

Also I like to think Purdue's win tonight was karma for that dirty play.

You know, it's funny how Karma works out in situations like this. I've seen plenty of times where the football, basketball, hockey or whatever sports gods have come back to "reward" cheap play by a team with a victory by the other team...It's kind of funny how often that it works out that way!!!;)

In any case, congrats to Purdue on a nice road win!!

And his sister had the guts to show up at Sally's and cheer for the Badger's when we played at Wisconsin. To me that family sounds like bad news. I bet they shaved the fur off their dog and stuck him outside in the freezing cold when they were growing up.

He also jacked the kid from Iowa in the face a week or two ago. Completely dirty.

Video of Krabbenhoft's pick

He plays hard, does the "little things", is a "glue guy"....blah blah blah....

What I'm starting to see is a guy who seems to be right in the middle of every fight, pushing match, or borderline dirty play.

The pick tonight on Purdue's 5'3" point guard was dirty. He threw an elbow.

Let me stop the idiot Badger fans right now: I know that there was no foul called. That doesn't make it any less of a cheap shot.

Here you go. This would be 5 in hockey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHWz_5Amd8

If I saw him I would have some choice words for him. Most of them could not be posted on a family friendly forum like GopherHole. After watching him up close when Bosconsin played in Mackey then the forearm to LewJack skull, I think it safe to say he is a goon, that might be putting it lightly. Don't get me wrong the pick was legal, it also was a really good one too, but then adding the elbow, not needed. I really wish in basketball, just like hockey, players could fight. It would prevent crap like that from happening, and if it did things like that will be sloved really quickly. It would also be pretty sweet to have a Boograd-esk BA on your team to keep everyone in line.

Flagrant 1 in the NBA due to the blow to the head.

A goon, and swears like a drunken sailor, too. I had one opportunity at the Big Ten Tournament a couple of years ago to be in voice distance, and was appalled at the guy's language. Much worse than his peers, and maybe even his coach.

I was disappointed Brent and Lavin did not jump on Krabby's dirty play. It would be a fine in the NFL.

On another note, isn't it nice to see the Badgers melt down? Nice job, Boilers. You are clearly in the race for the title with your best player at half speed. Not bad.

UWOle, what is your take on the actions of Badger Krabby? Was it clean or a cheap shot? Would Bo Ryan have blown his gasket if a Purdue player had done that with no call?

I'm always in defense of tough/physical basketball, but there's a difference between setting up shop and delivering a nice, hard screen (which Krabbenhoft did) and then throwing an arm/elbow into the equation (which Krabbenhoft did). Only at Kohl is Krabbenhoft not called for a foul, and possibly more.

My biggest problem with it was that the screened player (Jackson) is already going to be flattened by the contact anyway. If Krabbenhoft just stands there motionless, it's still going to be a brutal pick. This is where I start to see a possible intent to injure.

Would Bo Ryan have blown his gasket if a Purdue player had done that with no call?

Bo would be have been out of the game with multiple techs had Chris Kramer picked Taylor or Hughes in the exact same way and there wasn't a call.

I was initially shocked that a flagrant foul (much less a foul) wasn't called. Then a split second later I realized the game was at the Kohl Center and my shock turned into shrug.

That's the type of play that the refs almost always go to the TV monitor to assess the situation after the fact. That blatent elbow was as good as a punch. Good, hard screens are fine. Love to see them. That was WAY BEYOND anything that should be considered a good screen and there was intention to physically harm and take out the defender. That cheapshot deserves a suspension.

I was initially shocked that a flagrant foul (much less a foul) wasn't called. Then a split second later I realized the game was at the Kohl Center and my shock turned into shrug.

The guy who did not make the call was an alternate official who wasn't scheduled to work the game. He is a Big Ten "reserve" ref from Chicago. He was taking the place of Ed Hightower, who got stranded in St. Louis because of an ice storm. If you watched the alternate throughout the night, he was scared shitless to call anything against Bo. He knew he was in the Kohl Center. The only calls against Bucky called by him were the harmless variety away from the ball, no impact on the play kind of calls. The guy simply didn't have the guts to make the call on Bo's home floor. It is that simple.

That's the type of play that the refs almost always go to the TV monitor to assess the situation after the fact.

By rule, that is not a reviewable play.

Krabbenhoft is a solid player. I did see the screen last night and the elbow to the face of Matt Gatens (and Gatens was called for the foul - at CHA no less). I have not seen this from him in previous seasons.

My best explanation is that he is such a gamer and losing 5 in a row now has got to be eating at him. Unfortunately, he is taking out his frustrations by being a "goon". There is a fine line between (playing hard/being hardnosed/not backing down from contact) and (taking cheap shots/playing dirty). I think he's crossed the line.

Should have been called a foul. Not for the pick, but for the movement. Just like a couple weeks ago goaltending should have been called on Carter. Sometimes the refs miss calls.

In general, it was a well officiated game last night. The better team hit three big shots at the end and won the game.

"The better team hit three big shots at the end and won the game."

Just like a couple of weeks ago at the Kohl.

Go Gophers!!

"By rule, that is not a reviewable play."

That's not true. Any play can be reviewed to see if a technical should be assessed. This wasn't a case of an errant elbow knocking a guy down. He had time to line up his shot and delivered it with intent. Video replay shows as much and the refs can take a look at it and determine the penality. The fact it wasn't even called a foul why it never got to that point.

Should have been called a foul. Not for the pick, but for the movement. Just like a couple weeks ago goaltending should have been called on Carter. Sometimes the refs miss calls.

In general, it was a well officiated game last night. The better team hit three big shots at the end and won the game.

I haven't seen one non-Badger fan that thought that was clearly a goaltend.....

"By rule, that is not a reviewable play."

That's not true. Any play can be reviewed to see if a technical should be assessed. This wasn't a case of an errant elbow knocking a guy down. He had time to line up his shot and delivered it with intent. Video replay shows as much and the refs can take a look at it and determine the penality. The fact it wasn't even called a foul why it never got to that point.

That's what I'm saying. By rule, they cannot review that play because a foul was not called. Had they called a foul, then they could have used replay to determine whether it was a flagrant foul or not. I don't think they can assess technical fouls via replay, however.

And, I might add, that I've watched a lot of college hoops over the years and I don't think I've ever seem them review a foul to determine whether it is flagrant. But, you said it was a play "where they almost always go to the TV monitor". You must watch more than I do, as I've never seen a review used for this purpose in spite of it being something they can do. Can you remember a specific college game in which this was used, being that your claim is they "almost always" do it?

And, I might add, that I've watched a lot of college hoops over the years and I don't think I've ever seem them review a foul to determine whether it is flagrant.
They sometimes do. In the Ohio State v. Miami game earlier this year the referees went to replay to see if Jack McClinton's slap to Anthony Carter's face was intentional or not. They determined it was, and proceeded to eject him from the game.

They sometimes do. In the Ohio State v. Miami game earlier this year the referees went to replay to see if Jack McClinton's slap to Anthony Carter's face was intentional or not. They determined it was, and proceeded to eject him from the game.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened. I simply said I've never seen it. I am interested in hearing the instances others have seen. That's an interesting one in the OSU-MIA game.

Really any time there is a punch thrown they go to the replay to see if it was actually a punch. I know I've seen it several time.

Just like a couple weeks ago goaltending should have been called on Carter.

Dude, let it go.

At the end of each of these games (Minnesota and Purdue), one team took control and the other team was unable to answer when it mattered most.

Let's see what the Big Ten does about Krabbenhoft. If they don't suspend him, there is something fishy going on.

Top Bottom