Anyone see Billy Gillespie's responses to the halftime questions on ESPN?

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
Wow, what a jerk! Totally uncalled for.

Watch, Kentucky fans will probably love it, saying something to the effect of "Wow, that's awesome coach, you go man!"

Absolute lack of class IMO.

The female reporter asked something to the effect of how Jodie Meeks is struggling, considering he only had 6 points in the 1st half, and asked if it was that something he was worried about for the 2nd half.

He responded like a total jerk, retorting, "This isn't Jodie Meeks basketball this is Kentucky basketball, that was a terrible question!" or something to that effect with a few more parse words that just came off terribly.

The question didn't seem that bad, but he just went off on it.

probably just a frustrated coach...if i were a coach, i would hate to give halftime interviews. I would just want to get into the locker room to coach up my players.

I think Billy G is a fine coach

Nobody is arguing if he is a good coach or not.

However, being a pompous jerk on national TV demeaning a reporter who is just trying to do her job shows a lack of class IMO, regardless of how frustrated you are. The top coaches in the country would never do something like that (Williams, Coach K, Calhoun, Boeheim, Self, Izzo, etc.).

If I were a college coach, my answer to any half-time question would always be: "I don't know, that is what we are going to talk about during the break."

Ole Miss by 8 with 8 left. Could be a short stay in the rankings. Gillespie is a beauty. I think his act would only fly in certain regions. Will they be tolerant if he's still unable to produce an SEC title next year? He's a wiskey drinking kind of guy, so that might buy him graces.

Little Cats got their tails handed to them tonight...wonder if they're still drinking the BCG Kool-Aid tonight?

Gillispie is a sexist. He's always talking down to female reporters. This is the 3rd incident this year when he's behaved in a similar way to a female journalist asking him a question. He really hates that a woman is talking sports with him. It seems he believes a woman should know their place. It's probably why he's not married. Personally, I think Gillispie is nothing but a uncouth redneck who happens to have a lot of money. If it weren't for basketball, he'd be a manager at McDonald's. The DUI's, the way he behaves towards his players in practice, and his behavior toward female reporters is really unbecoming of a head coach at a so-called 'elite' basketball school.

That's exactly the way it came across to this viewer....KyGopherfan.

I live near Lexington and I see this redneck on the TV way too often for my tastes. I honestly believe he hates women. He's known for calling his players the "p" or the "c" word in practice if they don't play how he wants. On the surface that might not seem so bad, but when you couple that with his degrading attitude to female journalist, it's easy to come to the conclusion that the man is a misogynist or sexist. Also, it doesn't help that he can't seem to keep a woman in his life and has no kids.

The AD at UK might wanna tell Gillispie that it's the 21st century and you can't avoid female reporters. If he doesn't want to answer a question, he should do what every coach in the country does and simply say "next question."

misogynist
Take it as a compliment, but when you used those "big" words, I figured you couldn't be a resident of the state of Kentucky.

I guess some of you from the Commonwealth surprise me every once and a while :)

Or maybe I've formed my opinion from reading some of the children's posts on the Cats Pause message board. ;)

Nobody is arguing if he is a good coach or not.

However, being a pompous jerk on national TV demeaning a reporter who is just trying to do her job shows a lack of class IMO, regardless of how frustrated you are. The top coaches in the country would never do something like that (Williams, Coach K, Calhoun, Boeheim, Self, Izzo, etc.).

He's not one of the Top 50 coaches (per NCAA, which lists the top active coaches by W-L % record for their career). He is good, young coach.

Ole Miss by 8 with 8 left. Could be a short stay in the rankings. Gillespie is a beauty. I think his act would only fly in certain regions. Will they be tolerant if he's still unable to produce an SEC title next year? He's a wiskey drinking kind of guy, so that might buy him graces.

UK has taken away his car keys (figuratively) by assigning a full-time driver for him. Taking no chances on that.

UK coaches since Adolph Rupp have won SEC by their 2nd season. Rupp 1st year of SEC (1933). Hall 1st year (1973). Sutton 1st year (1986). Pitino 2nd year (1991), best W-L record in SEC. Tubby 1st year (1998). Gillispie SHOULD win SEC this year, I think.

Take it as a compliment, but when you used those "big" words, I figured you couldn't be a resident of the state of Kentucky.

I guess some of you from the Commonwealth surprise me every once and a while :)

Or maybe I've formed my opinion from reading some of the children's posts on the Cats Pause message board. ;)

Easy there, MPLS/STPL is hardly Boston, NYC, SF, or even Chicago. We aren't in a position to get elitist, even if you're from Wayzata people from Boston think you're a simple hick.

Actually he's about 50 years old...not so 'young' IMO... A 'young' coach (in the BT) would be someone like M Painter at Purdue for example.

Where is Dane Fife coaching? I still remember his super baggy shorts from UM and his (sometimes) torrid 3-point shooting.

>>Gillispie is nothing but a uncouth redneck who happens to have a lot of money.<<

Can we be blunt? Hasn't he always been a pompous prick?

I live near Lexington and I see this redneck on the TV way too often for my tastes. I honestly believe he hates women. He's known for calling his players the "p" or the "c" word in practice if they don't play how he wants. On the surface that might not seem so bad, but when you couple that with his degrading attitude to female journalist, it's easy to come to the conclusion that the man is a misogynist or sexist. Also, it doesn't help that he can't seem to keep a woman in his life and has no kids.

The AD at UK might wanna tell Gillispie that it's the 21st century and you can't avoid female reporters. If he doesn't want to answer a question, he should do what every coach in the country does and simply say "next question."
SOME people here in ky think he's GOD, I wish they'd admit that they're just happier with a white coach

Matta is only 41? He must be living hard.

Yeah, not only is he only 41, but he already has 220 career wins. That is a fast start for a D-I coach. He should get to 400 wins by the time he's 50. If he stays at OSU for a long time (with all the talent in Ohio, Michigan, etc.) he could challenge for 800+ wins in his career.

>>Gillispie is nothing but a uncouth redneck who happens to have a lot of money.<<

Can we be blunt? Hasn't he always been a pompous prick?

That (if true) just shows that Kentucky doesn't care what type of coach they have... and why (one of many reasons) Tubby (if he could) just wanted to just get the hell out of Dodge....

Where is Dane Fife coaching? I still remember his super baggy shorts from UM and his (sometimes) torrid 3-point shooting.

That was his brother Dugan (sp?) Fife.

Dane went to IU, played for Knight/Davis.

Top Bottom