Tubby-Bama Rumors...

Reaction score
They discussed said rumor on PTI today. They discussed the fact Alabama really wants Tubby, but both Wilbon and Tony agreed that MN was a much better job and Wilbon mentioned how much the people at MN love Tubby.

Personally, I don't see it happening.

Agree...Tubby and Donna are loved here. And I think theY love us too. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They also agreed that tubby could win a championship in minnesota

I can't see him leaving for Bama. Not at all. Maryland worries me though, let's hope that is never a possibility.

Also, I love that there are two other threads about the PTI convo made after this one. Can't people read?

The other two posts were posted BEFORE this one and were probably posted almost simultaneously.

Tubby, leaving for Alabama doesn't make any sense! He would have to start all over there and Minnesota is a better job anyway. I've heard many times that he loves the city.

Maryland is an unbelievable post that could demand an elite coach younger than Tubby. The Baltimore/DC talent pool with basically only Georgetown as the only local competition is a dream for recruiting.

Alabama

would be a step backward. Besides, the people there speak a foreign language.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the thing about it. Tubby will use these rumors about other jobs (Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, etc.) as leverage to get what he wants here. He'd be smart to do that.

And, you know what? I'd hate it if Tubby did leave. But, if he can't pass up moving back to Maryland....then your next Golden Gopher head coach will be none other than former U of M point guard Phil Saunders. So, it won't exactly be the end of the world if Tubby bolts for his homestate to coach the Terrapins. Flip's a very, very good ace in the hole to have if your Maturi.

The practice facility will have to be financed privately in order to be built anytime soon. A $5 billion dollar deficit and double digit tuition increases would make that a PR nightmare and a rallying cry for the David Strom/Phil Krinkie/Taxpayer's League folks who like to point out wasteful public spending. Such a project might get Bruinicks fired.

We'll end up parting ways with Tubby before we spend $10-30 million in this recession.

Keep the rumors coming

Its as good as any baramoter that we have a great coach. We can and should try but we can't stop him from leaving and if he does leave, at least we have set the bar where it belongs.

The practice facility will have to be financed privately in order to be built anytime soon. A $5 billion dollar deficit and double digit tuition increases would make that a PR nightmare and a rallying cry for the David Strom/Phil Krinkie/Taxpayer's League folks who like to point out wasteful public spending. Such a project might get Bruinicks fired.

We'll end up parting ways with Tubby before we spend $10-30 million in this recession.

The rumor is that Bruininks is done as President when his term is done in 2010 and will go back into a faculty position.

Not really worried about Tubby going to Alabama. In fact, I'm not worried at all.

Can't see any reason to leave Minnesota for Alabama. It just doesn't add up on a whole bunch of fronts. But hey, stranger things have happened.....

Tubby would be nuts to leave

Not really worried about Tubby going to Alabama. In fact, I'm not worried at all.

Can't see any reason to leave Minnesota for Alabama. It just doesn't add up on a whole bunch of fronts. But hey, stranger things have happened.....

OTS should be committed if he leaves. Why did he leave Kentucky??? To much pressure and high expectations. 'Bama is a football school and he'd play second fiddle to Nick Saban. Probably not a lot of expectation in Tuscaloosa. Maryland is a good job but you've got Duke and UNC in your back yard, plus there are expectations there. At Minnesota, there is zero pressure and zero expecations and he gets paid very handsomely (as he would at any other place obviously). If this team stumbles down the stretch and doesn't make the Tourney, most Gopher fans will just shrug their shoulders and move on. He could go to the dance once every 3-4 years and University Ave will be renamed after him. It is what it is. This is THE BEST coaching gig in a BCS conference.

Top Bottom