Bracket tidbits from CollegeRPI.com

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
These tidbits are courtesy of Jerry Palm at CollegeRPI.com:

(1) Only one team has made the NCAA field as an at-large without having played an opponent in the top 50 of the RPI since I started tracking data in 1994 (Manhattan, 1995). Right now, that describes St. Mary's. Although the Gaels still have at least two games left with Gonzaga (currently #51) and a bracket buster game that might still give them a chance. Also, someone like San Diego St (#59) could still play their way into the top 50.

(2) Also, only one team has received an at-large bid without a win over another team in the bracket (Oklahoma, 1998). UCLA is currently 0-4 vs the teams in my bracket. The Bruins are still well regarded by voters though. They are 16th in the coaches' poll and 17th in the AP poll, but their RPI of 40 looks more accurate.

(3) Finally, you aren't going to see too many March brackets with a RPI top 25 Big Ten team missing, but that's the case here. #23 Wisconsin is on the outside looking in primarily because they have lost four straight, including two in overtime. One of those losses was to Iowa.

(4) Also missing from my bracket is a team from the West division of the SEC. Never has a division of one of the Big Six conferences been shut out of the NCAA tournament, but unless Arkansas finds its legs again, there just aren't any good at-large candidates in that division. The Hogs looked like a good candidate before losing four in a row to start conference play. The Hogs scored only two points in the last nine and a half minutes at home against Auburn on Saturday in a 73-51 loss, which was the worst ever for them at Walton Arena.

(5) At Alabama, Ronald Steele finally decided he's suffered one too many injuries and quit the team last week. Then today, coach Mark Gottfried resigned. ... Expect Minnesota coach Tubby Smith's name to come up a lot, whether he's actually interested or not.

SS

good tidbits. SS, i put together a field of 65 every year as well and I was thinking (without looking up my old files) that when it comes down to last few teams there generally arent that many with 5 or 6 wins versus the top 50 (which I really think we will have by march). Am I right in my thinking on this? Also, a good top 10 win really speaks highly to the committee. If you lose to the 333rd ranked team but beat teh 5th ranked team it helps you more than losing to the 5th ranked and beating the 333rd in my opinoin because 1) it proves you can beat anyone on a given night and b) you wont be playing any 333rd ranked teams in the NCAA Tourney! I think 9-9 in the big ten gets us in as long as we can get 2 to 3 more top 50 wins.

Good trivia on Manattan! The Jaspers, right? I believe Bobby Gonzales was there at one point.

Top Bottom