Big East

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Does anyone else think the Big East is overrated this year. I looked at the top 9 teams in the Big East and Big Ten and found a couple interesting facts. The Big Ten non-conference losses were to teams with a combined higher winning % than the Big East. Also, the Big East top teams only have a couple wins over currently ranked teams. I looked at teams that have played at least two games against top25 teams and have a winning record. Syracuse beat Memphis and UCONN beat Gonzaga. Otherwise any ranked non-conference opponent is no longer ranked. Those teams include, Wisconsin, Miami, Kansas, and Florida.

On the other hand the Big Ten has wins over Duke, UCLA, and Texas who are currently in the top 25. I do not count the Louisville win since the Gophers are 2-2 against the top 25.

I'm not sure why you would count out the Louisville win. Just because the Gophers are 2-2 doesn't discredit the Win.

Does MSU lose the Texas win because the lost to NU?

I do not count the Louisville win since the Gophers are 2-2 against the top 25.

Why wouldn't you count Louisville in this? If you're comparing conferences, I don't think you can include top 25 victories/losses within that conference. The Gophers two losses to ranked opponents come within the Big 10. Not counting those is akin to not giving the Big East credit for wins against top 25 teams in their conference, which is what you've done above.

I do think the Big East is a little overrated, but still think it's the best conference in the country. I'd actually put the Big 10 second, with the ACC third. The ACC's top is better than our top, but top-to-bottom, I think our 11 is better than their 12.

Does anyone else think the Big East is overrated this year.

I do get the feeling that ESPN is really pushing the Big East on us. It may be because they actually believe they are the most talented conference or it could be that they feel like the Big East is their biggest basketball commodity right now so they need to really sell it.

Just be thankful that this is basketball and not football. It will all come out in the wash in March.

I love how Notre Dame is still ranked in one of the polls. Just rediculous.

I agree that ESPN plays such a huge roll in the rankings. Just look at the Bracketology today. Big Ten has 7 teams in and only 2 with a top 5 seed. The Big East has 9 teams in and 7 with top 5 seeding.

Here are the teams from power conferences with winning records vs the top 25 and a minimum of two games. ACC(3), Big Eas(5), Big 12(1), Big 10(3), SEC(1), PAC 10(0).

Duke
UNC
Wake Forest

Oklahoma

Louisville
Syracuse
Marquette
Pittsburgh
UCONN

Arkansas

Illinois
Michigan State
Michigan

I do get the feeling that ESPN is really pushing the Big East on us. It may be because they actually believe they are the most talented conference or it could be that they feel like the Big East is their biggest basketball commodity right now so they need to really sell it.

Just be thankful that this is basketball and not football. It will all come out in the wash in March.

ESPN is in the heart of UCONN country and half the employees at ESPN are Syracuse grads, so of course they love the Big East.

We also know how to play defence in Big Ten country.

Maxy,

Thanks for the information, I appreciate you digging it up. I do have to wonder what it proves exactly though.

If the Big East is overrated (as you've stated and I, to some extent, agree with) they probably have a disproportionate number of ranked teams. If the conference is overrated, I think you logically have to classify some of its teams as overrated, since they comprised the conference's identity. If Big East clubs are beating fellow conference teams in the top 25 who don't deserve to be there, they're padding this stat. When taken at face value, this stat seems to prove the Big East is NOT actually overrated.

The Big East is clearly overated! Notre Dame, Villanova, and Georgetown should not be ranked. If they were in any other conference they would not be. I would love to see only 7 teams come from the Big East. ESPN has been sucking up to them all year.

Top Bottom