Unsettling

MaroonGopher

Banned
Reaction score
Can someone with better basketball eyes explain what the hell is going on here? A loss on NATIONAL TV to a bellow average team would likely kick the Gophers out of the top 25. I can honestly say I have never seen a team shoot like the Cavs have tonight. This one is tough to digest...:mad:

At HOME no less!!!!

Basketball is a silly silly game....

We need to SLOW DOWN and hit front end of 1 and 1 free throws. I still don't understand why front end misses don't go in the TO section of the stat sheet. That's exactly what it is.

They do need to slow down, but Virginia is shooting lights out right now as well. It is as if the Gophers relaxed after getting the big lead and cannot get it going again.

Can someone with better basketball eyes explain what the hell is going on here? A loss on NATIONAL TV to a bellow average team would likely kick the Gophers out of the top 25. I can honestly say I have never seen a team shoot like the Cavs have tonight. This one is tough to digest...:mad:

At HOME no less!!!!

Um, perhaps you missed the OSU game at OSU last year, where OSU shot 78% in the 2nd half (I think).

UVa is shooting unbelievably - and they got that way BECAUSE WE LET THEM. We gave them open 3 after open 3 in the first half, and two of their guys got hot. We continued to let them shoot freely. Even with a 10-point halftime lead, that was a terrible sign. We will lose for failing to care about this game. Now we're rattled, they're ALL on fire, and we could go down big tonight.

This happens too often with inferior teams.

I still think Tubby plays too many guys. When it becomes a half-court game (like tonight and pretty much every Big 10 game), it's a disadvantage to use so many players. There is no continuity. I thought this was very evident last year, particularly in the loss to Mich. St. at home... Luckily, Virginia is young and we'll likely be able to overcome the current deficit.

Maybe we should have hired Tony Bennett.

We are getting ridiculously out coached.

There is nothing happening on offense.

Colt has no idea how to play defense in this game either, yet he's still out there.

We're going to lose by 20+ at frickin HOME.

It's been awhile since I've been this utterly disappointed with a game. I don't even know where to begin. Yes, the sky is falling right now. You don't host Virginia (Virginia!!!!!!!!!) and get completely spanked. Yes, Al Nolen would have helped, but Tubby needs to go back to the drawing board after this one. Yuck...

This game has swung 10 points on FT's alone. UVA has only missed one FT and we can't hit a front end to save our lives.

This game has swung 10 points on FT's alone. UVA has only missed one FT and we can't hit a front end to save our lives.

UVa hasn't missed anything at all, free throws included. At this point, they could do a soccer flip throw from the top deck of the barn and it would swish....

Maybe we should have hired Tony Bennett.

We are getting ridiculously out coached.

There is nothing happening on offense.

Colt has no idea how to play defense in this game either, yet he's still out there.

They are getting outplayed, not outcoached. Colt does not move well and if you're a mobile guy on him he's a goner.

In general not as strong on the boards tonight as we were in earlier games, plus poor perimeter defense. Should have subsituted the freshmen earlier in the second half when the upperclassmen struggled.

UVA obviously shot out of their minds tonite, but that is the reason they were in the game, not y they won. Minnesota looked flustered for most of the second half. It was like they weren't used to losing, so they wanted to come back right away. If it takes 5 minutes to comeback, thats fine, but it seemed like the gophers thought 5 minutes was too long, and they chucked up threes and took wild shots, and all of a sudden the unlikely 3 point deficit became a 10 point deficit. Al Nolen would have definately helped keep them from shooting 11-14 on threes or wutever they were, but this is on us, UVA played well, but this is simply unacceptable

We aren't a very smart team. and our defense is definitely overrated.

It's an upset loss that will show up come tournament time if we are on the bubble.

The question is do we learn from it and make it a "non-factor".

It is what it is.

UVA obviously shot out of their minds tonite, but that is the reason they were in the game, not y they won. Minnesota looked flustered for most of the second half. It was like they weren't used to losing, so they wanted to come back right away. If it takes 5 minutes to comeback, thats fine, but it seemed like the gophers thought 5 minutes was too long, and they chucked up threes and took wild shots, and all of a sudden the unlikely 3 point deficit became a 10 point deficit. Al Nolen would have definately helped keep them from shooting 11-14 on threes or wutever they were, but this is on us, UVA played well, but this is simply unacceptable

Outcoached - Bennett got his shooters open all night, and Tubby never guarded the 3 till it was too late. Nobody else that played Virginia decided to play right to their strengths THE WHOLE GAME.

Outhustled - every loose ball went right to UVa.

Outshot - UVa will never again even come close to the 89 they scored tonight. They couldn't miss if their eyes were taped shut. They suck, and yet, they totally deserved to win.

Outplayed - The Gophers took that early lead and it was WAY too easy. So they stopped playing D, let UVa get hot, and they stopped running the offense. You never never never ever ever let off the gas. NEVER.

Pathetic, even with our two best defenders injured.

At HOME no less!!!!

They got their jump shooters open and they made their foul shots.

Why can't we guard against the three????

They got their jump shooters open and they made their foul shots.

Why can't we guard against the three????

It actually looked eerily similar to the game against Michigan that we got blasted in last year. Against them, they had every wide-open three they wanted and tonight was almost the exact same thing. We definitely have problems defending the three. But what was most disturbing was our lack of effort in the paint in the second half. We spent lots of time watching the ball and almost never boxed out, got on helpside, or went up strong. All and all, it was a complete mess.

Outcoached - Bennett got his shooters open all night, and Tubby never guarded the 3 till it was too late. Nobody else that played Virginia decided to play right to their strengths THE WHOLE GAME.

Outhustled - every loose ball went right to UVa.

Outshot - UVa will never again even come close to the 89 they scored tonight. They couldn't miss if their eyes were taped shut. They suck, and yet, they totally deserved to win.

Outplayed - The Gophers took that early lead and it was WAY too easy. So they stopped playing D, let UVa get hot, and they stopped running the offense. You never never never ever ever let off the gas. NEVER.

Pathetic, even with our two best defenders injured.

Absolute pathetic performance. On all levels. What a complete letdown for this team. The rest of our non conference looks simple. Than the first 5 games in the big ten define our season and without nolen we are in dire straights against all of them. Utter fail.

We definitely won't be on the bubble this year.

It's an upset loss that will show up come tournament time if we are on the bubble.

The question is do we learn from it and make it a "non-factor".

It is what it is.

Tubby never guarded the 3? That sounds like a lot to put on the coach. He definitely deserves some, but ultimately our players were just way too slow to close out on the three, especially our freshmen. It seems like every 3 we give up I see Chip and Hollins arriving to defend right as the ball is about to go in the hoop.

Again, it's hard to say how much is Tubby. I'll give you this, we seem to always suck at adjusting to defending the three, so a lot of that does go on Tubby. It's so frustrating to see us not change anything as they continue to hit 3 after 3.

watch the game, we totally dominated the first half and only great outside shooting by VA kept it from a 20 pt lead, at halftime the gophs read their press clippings and mailed in the second half, no fire or hustle, no diving on the floor or board crashing (all things they did in the first half. this is really a good loss in that they've been shown they need to show up for both halves whether on the road or at home. this will make them stronger for the B10 season and moving forward

Tubby never guarded the 3? That sounds like a lot to put on the coach. He definitely deserves some, but ultimately our players were just way too slow to close out on the three, especially our freshmen. It seems like every 3 we give up I see Chip and Hollins arriving to defend right as the ball is about to go in the hoop.

Again, it's hard to say how much is Tubby. I'll give you this, we seem to always suck at adjusting to defending the three, so a lot of that does go on Tubby. It's so frustrating to see us not change anything as they continue to hit 3 after 3.

The best defense in the game of basketball is simply to guard the hot shooter, and take away what he does best. If he drives, put your best lateral defender on him. If he shoots, put the guy on him that gets in his face. Whatever you do, do not let one guy or one style beat you without making him/them actually beat you. Never allow them to simply do what they do best. They rained 3's on us all night, and not until late in the game did we adjust, at which point it was too late, we were rattled and they simply faked and drove.

Top Bottom