Game Day Traffic

Swaggerson

Bank Sect 112 Barn Sect 102
Reaction score
Driving in from the west side has been brutal...we were late for the Purdue game (6:15) and University and Washington Ave were still parking lots. We ending up taking 94 over to Huron. How long to do we expect University to be just one lane...it is killer for 6PM games. Thankfully Illinois is a late start.

Agreed, Swaggerson. While I live in St. Paul, I work in Minnetonka on Thursdays, usually til 5/5:30, so I'm very glad for the later start this week. We took a convoluted route to get us on Washington and of course were late as well.

Parking at CMU is the way to go. You can take the tunnels to the game, and the walk back isn't bad if it isn't too cold. And there is the whole part about no lines and it being cheaper, which is very nice.

Traffic was HORRIBLE

Driving in from the west side has been brutal...we were late for the Purdue game (6:15) and University and Washington Ave were still parking lots. We ending up taking 94 over to Huron. How long to do we expect University to be just one lane...it is killer for 6PM games. Thankfully Illinois is a late start.

for the Purdue game. I know most people like 6pm games, but I LOVE the 8pm timeslot. I think most people work until 6pm (if not later), so getting to those games is brutal.

I left my place in SLP at 5pm. Usually it takes 15 minutes to get to the U, even with traffic, then 15 minutes to park and get in - but I was late too. I think this may be the first game at the Barn in who knows how many years, that I missed the first 2 minutes. I was soooo upset.

I usually take 94 and hop off on 35 W to and go across Washington, to avoid Huron, but that exit was back up like crazy. I think I'll stick to the backroads for 6pm games.

Coffman Memorial Union. I think the ramp is officially the East River Road garage.

Something has to be done to rectify the issue. The 6 pm start times are very difficult.

How much does it cost in CMU? Isn't it almost as much--I think most ramps at the U are about 8 for between 2 and 3 hours. That's only 2 bucks cheaper than a lot on 5th.

Dinkytown

I always park & walk from Dinkytown. You can usually find something there. A brisk walk, yes, but it's always free.

How much does it cost in CMU? Isn't it almost as much--I think most ramps at the U are about 8 for between 2 and 3 hours. That's only 2 bucks cheaper than a lot on 5th.

Nope, $6. Not a whole lot cheaper, unless you count the hours of life wasted waiting to get out of most ramps.

This is a somewhat amusing string. Minnesotans think traffic is sooo bad here. I think we all understand there are traffic issues on campus but it makes no sense to complain. Our traffic issues are really not that bad when compared to other cities/campuses. The parking tips are helpful though.

Part of the fun of going to games on campus is visiting campus -- that is, stopping by early for a sub, sandwich or beer or staying late for a nightcap. As painful as it is to stare at brakelights coming out of the Oak Street ramp, it still only adds an additional 15-20 minutes to my return commute. Yet a ton of fans decide to beat the traffic and leave every game early, including the Purdue game where Purdue actually missed a few free throws at the end and gave Minnesota a good chance to catch up.

Stop your whining ... a real Gopher fan would show up at 6 AM.

Top Bottom