So...we're going to play zone against Wisconsin right?

All good basketball teams change up defensive schemes during a game...mtm, various zones, pressure full, pressure 1/2. The way to beat a zone is hit from the perimeter. no specific cure all to keep things the same all the time. Variety is the spice of life, etc. etc. etc.

You're clearly right about mixing things up. Just seems that they don't have many options from the perimeter this year and I can see our amoeba like zone causing them a lot of trouble at times.

You may see that so far, but Wisky has been known to kill from the outside too. Especially at the Kohl. Remember that.

Down goes wisconsin! Only big ten team I cheer against in the non conference.

Watched Wisconsin twice during the tournament in Orlando and I'll be honest that I wasn't impressed at all. Defensively, they're very sound as always. But they sorely lack offensive players. They looked slow, plodding and unathletic on the offensive end in both games I watched. Right now, they look a team that really has to buckle-down on defense in order to win games because they're not going to outscore anybody.

Of course, it's early in the year and Ryan is an excellent coach, so I expect them to get markedly better as the year goes on. But from the way things look right now, they literally have to run their offensive sets perfectly in order to score because they lack the one-on-one skills to get open otherwise.

Looks like Wisconsin really misses JBohannon and Traevon Hughes. Good for the Gophers to get Wisconsin early.

Zone worked well on Wisconsin but Notre Dame pulled away when they went to man-to-man. Need Al on defense on Taylor. Let Colton and Ralph take turns on Leuer. Trevor is too athletic for Nankavil. Hopefully the Big Ten refs let the teams play.

Ready for the Big Ten :D

I don't know about anyone else but I'm seeing the Gophers finish ahead of Wisconsin and Purdue this year.

Speaking of Wisconsin...this might be the first time in the history of college sports that a school's football team could consistently outscore the basketball team.

Speaking of Wisconsin...this might be the first time in the history of college sports that a school's football team could consistently outscore the basketball team.
Good point - and the scores aren't even close. Last 3 games:

WI FB - 201 pts
WI BB - 166 pts

Watched Wisconsin twice during the tournament in Orlando and I'll be honest that I wasn't impressed at all. Defensively, they're very sound as always. But they sorely lack offensive players. They looked slow, plodding and unathletic on the offensive end in both games I watched. Right now, they look a team that really has to buckle-down on defense in order to win games because they're not going to outscore anybody.

Of course, it's early in the year and Ryan is an excellent coach, so I expect them to get markedly better as the year goes on. But from the way things look right now, they literally have to run their offensive sets perfectly in order to score because they lack the one-on-one skills to get open otherwise.

I agree with this.

However it is Wisconsin and they do have the best player in the conference, so I'm not counting them out.

I agree with this.

However it is Wisconsin and they do have the best player in the conference, so I'm not counting them out.

Jon Leuer is not the best player in the conference, IMO. But ask Penn State how having only one good player works out.

Leuer is NOT the best player in the conference...I'd put him somewhere in the 5th-8th best player range

how about waiting until conference play starts to make a silly assumption like that?!

Why do you think we should play zone against Wisconsin?

I'm not arguing against you (yet, at least), but I'd like to know your reasons.

Personally, I don't think Wisconsin matches up well individually. I'd play them man, but you may have good reasons for the zone. Please expand your thoughts.

Why do you think we should play zone against Wisconsin?

I'm not arguing against you (yet, at least), but I'd like to know your reasons.

Personally, I don't think Wisconsin matches up well individually. I'd play them man, but you may have good reasons for the zone. Please expand your thoughts.

I was just saying that they seem to lack shooters without Bohannon and Hughes and I've seen them really struggle against it a couple times this year. Anyway I was just getting exited with how much they were struggling at the time vs nd and thinking that our zone is a lot tougher than what nd was playing. Obviously mixing things up is the way to go as Tubby is usually good at.

I was just saying that they seem to lack shooters without Bohannon and Hughes and I've seen them really struggle against it a couple times this year. Anyway I was just getting exited with how much they were struggling at the time vs nd and thinking that our zone is a lot tougher than what nd was playing. Obviously mixing things up is the way to go as Tubby is usually good at.

As shown today, we don't guard the 3-line well. Wisconsin has little inside presence - seems they would only be able to beat us - like Virginia is doing - from the outside.

Just remember that UW was 6-2 after 8 games last year with a loss to UWGB.

Top Bottom