Mav

Roy Christensen

Trying to do it all!
Reaction score
I am excited to see what Mav can do Monday. Chip, Big Mo and Austin have all looked good. Is it Mav's turn to shine?

I hope so...I just don't know if he's ready to handle the responsibilities of the starting point. Hopefully he steps up

Count me as more nervous than excited. I wish Mav the best and hope he steps up. He has big shoes to fill and I fully expect upcoming opponents to put pressure on him as a young player. This will certainly be valuable experience for Mav. I also expect Blake to play some minutes at PG as he has done on a few occasions early in the season.

Devoe needs to play tomorrow. NEEDS to. hopefully he "took" care of what ever it was

more exicted

to see Devoe come back with some fire power!

I wonder if we will see Chip get some spot minutes bringing the ball up the court.

Mav was recruited as a highly coachable player. Many have questioned his talent. Tonight should give us our first good look at him.

I agree with the OP but instead of 'excited' I'll replace it with 'terrified'. This is no diss on Mav but the guys was brought in as a 3rd PG because we needed a warm body there for practice and emergencies like this and now he's going to be starting on national TV against an ACC team(albeit a bad one) with another wing player out and Hoff supposedly hobbled a bit. This is not a good situation at all. We should beat UVA 9 times out of 10 but I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those 20+ turnover games where we give up open 3's all game long. I'm not trying to be a downer but that's a real possibility. Now I also wouldn't be shocked if we just pounded the ball inside over and over and Mav hit a couple open jumpers and we just grind the game out and win by 20 either

Armelin was thought to be a thrown away scholarship and Walker was considered a project. They both look like 4 star recruits at this point. Tubby thought enough of Mav to give him a scholarship. Tonight he is putting him on the floor. I expect to see good things. This season has been fun.

He hasn't looked bad. He played pretty well against NDSU. I think a player like that knows his role a lot better than say a Justin Cobb. (No offense) He moves pretty well, looks like he can run all day.

My only complaint is that he hasn't looked for his shot. (That might be by design, who knows.) I don't think it's accurate to question his talent at this point. We can get into recruiting services (thousands of kids play basketball, so how it possible to truly quantify each and every one of them correctly.) but from all I've read and seen he seems like he could be good. I know the guy was seen as a mid-major player, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't play.

Worst case scenario he plays bad. I wouldn't put too much stock into a bad performance, if he even has one. Because it's one game. Besides Coach Smith usually goes with they guy whose playing the best. So if he stinks, he won't be out there. He may start, but somebody else could gobble up those minutes.

Regarding the point guard question, and not that he would get playing time, but, does anyone if Bryant Allen has joined the team now that football is done?

Old news link on bottom; Mav...

Maverick Ahanmisi, University of Minnesota

Maverick (Rick) Ahanmisi from Tarzana, Ca. is half-Filipino and half-Nigerian. He speaks fluent Filipino.

Considered to be one the "premier guards" in Southern California he committed to play for the University of Minnesota, which is ranked 25th nationally.

In high school in Golden Valley and Stoneridge Prep in Tarzana, the 6’2", 175 pound point guard averaged 20 points a game. According to the Signal, he left Golden Valley High School as its all-time leading scorer and 3-point shooter. In his senior year at Golden Valley, he scored 41 points against Foothill High in what they considered one of the greatest playoff performances in Santa Clarita Valley history.

Upon signing him, Golden Gophers coachTubby Smith said, "Maverick is a very good shooter from the perimeter and will help us by stretching the defense."

Ahanmisi’s AAU coach Bob Gottlieb said of him, "He’s the best end-of-game scorer that I’ve had in 45 years of coaching. He’s great in the open court and in a half-court offense. He sees the court very well."

http://www.asianjournal.com/galing-...7386-pinoys-in-ncaa-basketball.html?showall=1

Tubby Says (Clipped From SP3 Today)

... The California native had a limited role in the first several games, but he finished with a season-best six points and three assists in 11 minutes in last week's win over North Dakota State.

Smith expressed confidence in Ahanmisi filling in for Nolen if Joseph isn't able to play a significant role.

"He can make open shots," Smith said. "He's our best shooting point guard other than Devoe. He has just gotten better. He was a scorer in high school, but he's gotten stronger and he's gotten more confidence. He has learned the offense. That's a big key, learning all the things we do."

Regarding the point guard question, and not that he would get playing time, but, does anyone if Bryant Allen has joined the team now that football is done?

My last impression was that Bryant had a wheel ailment (ankle?, foot?, knee?) that would need to heal/rest. I expect that he will join the team but this is only the Monday following the final Saturday FB game.

Top Bottom